Caravan and Motorhome Club Robbery (1 Viewer)

Alex Black

Free Member
Dec 20, 2016
Fife scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach built. Knaus.
Exp
Scince 2010
Our lad paid £47 a night at crystal palace during the summer. £47.00. That is just plain daft.

We use the aires when abroad and britstops in the uk. Often just the cost of a beer or two. Or a meal if you are hungry. We were just over 50 euro for stops in Spain early this year & many were free. That was over two months. Average for aires was around 9 euro / night if you wanted to use them.

Disappointing prices from the C&MC.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
From my perspective, I mainly use my Moho in Europe and occasionally use ACSI sites but if I can find an Aire with basic facilities then I'll opt for that.
When in the UK, I love Brit Stops and met some fabulous people and stayed at some brilliant places.
If people WANT facilities and want to use a campsite then brilliant but those who might spend 1/4 million on a Moho and want to wild camp, who are we to criticise their lifestyle?
Edit: sounds like @Alex Black is on the same page as me

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
From my perspective, I mainly use my Moho in Europe and occasionally use ACSI sites but if I can find an Aire with basic facilities then I'll opt for that.
When in the UK, I love Brit Stops and met some fabulous people and stayed at some brilliant places.
If people WANT facilities and want to use a campsite then brilliant but those who might spend 1/4 million on a Moho and want to wild camp, who are we to criticise their lifestyle?
Edit: sounds like @Alex Black is on the same page as me

Maybe they have to after spending that much ?:)

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
The Caravan and Motorhome Club’s accounts are published each year and on view for all to see.

The profits generated provide about enough working capital to keep the sites updated and in good order.

I can't see any Robbery being carried here but agree you can get a cheaper price by looking around at other sites.

Sep 19, 2016
romford
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 259p
Exp
owned vw in 90's just purchased rollerteam
When I saw the title of this thread, thought that the cmc had been the victim of a crime, no nobody was a victim of a robbery, nobody had forced anybody, to pay or hand something over against their will, but they do want paying for a service provided. Now forgive me if I am wrong, but do wardens not get paid, very little probably but on some sites for 52 weeks a year, headquarters staff who answer calls, organise site programmes of maintenance, business rates,water bills, gas bills,cleaning utensils and materials.
Now while going on, how much to take a dog to travelodge per night, I booked to stay in one in Manchester once, after booking read about read about the flea problem, would not let my dog stay wife had a good time though also the recent programme about the poor hygene standards at some establishments. Anyway I will pay what I have too, to stay where I want at the time of year I want too.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
It's recognised motor homes now so they're sticking it up us. Someone has to fund there excessive profits. There's a lovely private site at Robsons in Wolsingham. Bus outside the door and shops a few hundred yards. We got so fed up with rip of UK prices we only do across the water now.
And just up the road a bit at Westgate private site £17 per night .great location for walking .

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I vary my use of Sites as necessary, Using "full" facility CC, or CCC sites when required. Overall with regard to facilities required and the need for hard standing much of the time in the UK (Fiat Front WD do not like "moist" Grass!). A recent trip included A CCC site £23pn. and 2 "pub" stops (FOC) We ate on both occasions, something we would hav done anyway, and one C-L £11pn inc electric!, in all cases you get what you pay for. One of the great advantages of Motorhomes is the ability to be able to use "no facility" locations IMV.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
It's recognised motor homes now so they're sticking it up us. Someone has to fund there excessive profits. There's a lovely private site at Robsons in Wolsingham. Bus outside the door and shops a few hundred yards. We got so fed up with rip of UK prices we only do across the water now.

Not sure how you come to that conclusion given there is no discrimination between a caravan or motorhome, so don't think it has anything to do with the new name. They are just expensive and they are filling the sites so they don't have an issue. They only have an issue when the sites are not occupied, have a look at some sites and they are already fully booked for certain dates. Simple supply and demand.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Not sure how you come to that conclusion given there is no discrimination between a caravan or motorhome, so don't think it has anything to do with the new name. They are just expensive and they are filling the sites so they don't have an issue. They only have an issue when the sites are not occupied, have a look at some sites and they are already fully booked for certain dates. Simple supply and demand.

Tell Me!. You can never get more that one night at Rowntree Park!!. Unless you can book up a year ahead!.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We don't use Clubsites, we stick to CLs' or CSs'.
We have a Motorhome, you know like most of us on here. The Motorhome we have has a shower, a toilet and separate washing facilities for our bodies and our plates!
Why would I want to pay upwards of £20.00 for a shower?

Stand Off

Free Member
Jul 19, 2017
St Helens
Funster No
MH
Hymer B668
Exp
Since 2009
You know, you lot never cease to amaze me..........You spend 40. 50. sometimes 60 k on a state of the art M/h, fitted with every type of modern living convenience, even pop up radar dishes as though your tracking incoming Russian bombers........And dont deny it, we have all seen you stood there, remotes in hand, crafty look around to make sure your being observed by lesser mortals, just to show off..........The latest internet gizmo's, even a fan flu for the loo.......Then moan and groan about spending, what is it, £30 a night to stay in a clean well looked after SECURE location, with up to date facilities, able to dump your crap, be it grey, brown, or even the packaging from your new barbie!! And you even BRAG about what you own/buy, on these very pages! Not content with the aforementioned crimes against humanity, you then bugger off on a vomit stinking boat, to land in a sweaty country filled with peeps who shrug, eat disgusting food, and cant speak the Queens English, stop on a 'HEY it's FREE' convict ridden grotty car park, nose to tail with a farting Italian and his sweaty wife,scared sh**less in case a Romanian Mafioso gang appear at whatever time, to fill your new M/H with a noxious substance! Then, to cap it all, you take bl**dy pictures to prove it! My God! Then its off to 'Sunny Spain', where you park up in a dustbowl, erect your electric awning, (making sure that others can see it's electric), pull out your designer alloy combined chair/lie-low combination, (colour coded of coarse), and proceed to get pissed on refined Spanish anti-freeze, whilst all types of noxious flies descend to nibble and throw up on your exposed body's! "Joe got a lovely melanoma tan in Spain".
And then, you open up your radar powered TV, to watch 'The Manuel Look at my Wifes T**s' show, in non intelligible Spanish, whilst scratching at the sores your bites are turning into! Dont you see, Spain was made by God as a bl**dy PUNISHMENT for those who reside there, not for English people! The dump is so bad, they had to pay Cardinals to wander around 500 years ago, putting motorhomers and other peasants TO DEATH!
To cap it all, you come home to dear old Blighty, and BRAG about how you got a rat infested wind blown grass-less pitch for under 50p a night! :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

“I’ve seen the bommercial, i mean kkkomercial for that. .........singing, I love the Costa Brava whilst drinking their bleeding Watneys Red Barrel”.

Very Idle(esque)

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Tell Me!. You can never get more that one night at Rowntree Park!!. Unless you can book up a year ahead!.

Actually in my case it was Brighton for August Bank Holiday, Clumber Park for Halloween and Stonehaven for New Year, but not sure what relevance this has to the discussion. But gives a flavour of why they charge so much, simply because they can and I guess we need to remember they are a "Club" so exempt from Tax, all the money made from the high prices allow them to continue opening more sites, refurbish the existing and keep sites open all year at a loss to provide for members. Everything they earn has to be fed back into the club...who mentioned Royal visits and Chairman expenses ;-)

Listen to me defending the CMC, that's a first :)

Reactions: DBK

John65

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2000
I don't like tying on sites much prefer cl/ cs. What I object to is they put there prices up just because it's school holidays or bank holidays. I can't see how it costs them anymore to run the site at them times.
Signed tight arsed Yorkshire man. :xgrin:

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
You all seem to be missing the point. If you get rid of the wife, kids and dogs you to can stay on the Warwick C&MC site for £8.70 a night. Brit stops are cheaper as well, only 1 drink or meal to buy. :xrofl:

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I don't like tying on sites much prefer cl/ cs. What I object to is they put there prices up just because it's school holidays or bank holidays. I can't see how it costs them anymore to run the site at them times.
Signed tight arsed Yorkshire man. :xgrin:
No it doesn't cost anymore ,but what about when the season ends in November til April the sites are still staffed and maintenance must go on ,and of course when you ring the office you expect a human to answer your query ,.......I say no more

John65

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2000
Khizzie why should parents who have no choice but to go on holiday out of school time have to pay a premium,package Hollidays are the same. That's one reason we started taking the grand children to France. If it was going to cost £100 pounds for X number of nights in term time why should I pay say £130 pounds just because it's a bank Holliday ? As for wardens been human all I can say is some might be.:sneaky:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Khizzie why should parents who have no choice but to go on holiday out of school time have to pay a premium,package Hollidays are the same. That's one reason we started taking the grand children to France. If it was going to cost £100 pounds for X number of nights in term time why should I pay say £130 pounds just because it's a bank Holliday ? As for wardens been human all I can say is some might be.:sneaky:
The answer is simply basic economics. The more something is popular the more you pay for it. That and the fact that the extra number of people mean that the facilities are needed but are only used for a few weeks and lay unused for the rest of the year. So who should pay for them then? Surely not the people who have not caused it? Of course we could do as other countries do and stagger the holiday periods based upon area but that, in the main is too sensible for us. Of course the canny Scots start their summer break earlier and get to go in the less busy periods.

The alternative is communism, and that went well didn't it? Anybody fancy a Lada motorhome?

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I live in France , and I can assure you that family campsites put up thier prices 4 fold in the holiday season.the same as Britain.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
It’s a well known fact, every holiday country, campsite,holiday park, hotel etc all put up prices in the main season. It’s not just the CMC. You can’t blame them for that.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Here is a rather strange one! - not me I hasten to add so cannot 100% guarantee its authenticity, I copied it from a post in the motorhome pub stopovers site today

I arrived this evening at ferry meadows caravan club Peterborough at 17.30 21/12/17 out of the blue with out booking ahead, I am a non member, pressed the gate button, and male answered the phone, I greeted the man with " good evening, I have just arrived at your barrier - I have not booked and was wondering what your tariff per night is and is the maximum duration of stay?
He informed me its £17 per night less £6 for members.
Being prompted by a ladies voice in the background.
I informed him I am not a member - he then said it would be a extra £12 per night for non members - I heard a women's voice in the back and he then promptly said " we are not accepting non members due to travellers in the area!! He then hung up and left me in the middle of the road with nothing to do but to reverse into a dark Road of wich has 2 way traffic, he didn't offer any alternative, or even suggest I join the club, no thanks for popping by, absolutely nothing at all.
He didn't want to know what vehicle I have.
I was considering to join the club - but to be quite frank he has put me off with his unprofessional approach.
The signs say "everyone welcome"
Perhaps not tonight!

Merry Christmas

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Technically sites [or travel companies etc] don't put up prices in peak periods - they just stop discounting their normal prices that they offer in the off season...:xwink:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The answer is simply basic economics. The more something is popular the more you pay for it. That and the fact that the extra number of people mean that the facilities are needed but are only used for a few weeks and lay unused for the rest of the year. So who should pay for them then? Surely not the people who have not caused it? Of course we could do as other countries do and stagger the holiday periods based upon area but that, in the main is too sensible for us. Of course the canny Scots start their summer break earlier and get to go in the less busy periods.

The alternative is communism, and that went well didn't it? Anybody fancy a Lada motorhome?

Why ? I didn't charge anymore whether I was working at 10am on a day during the week or called out at 3am on a Sunday morning . Anything else is pure greed.

Technically sites [or travel companies etc] don't put up prices in peak periods - they just stop discounting their normal prices that they offer in the off season...:xwink:
Same as the toll roads hwen asked why they raise prices in the spring/summer. We don't we reduce them in autumn/winter .Just scum.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
The dark road with 2 way traffic is only an access road for the car park! The second entry barrier stops access to the late night parking area because of problems with unwelcome travxxxxs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back