Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
The Wee car it turned out has a problem.
Toyota called just today to tell me that the warranty will not be affected unless a component is affected by the fitment of any add ons . So much as we expected .
Still just a bit unsure what to do to be honest.
We are planning our next trip to Spain/ Portugal or maybe Morroco for January. As we cannot take a car on a frame over to those countries it kinda takes the pressure off so sitting on the fence.
I would have bought that Wee car but as I say there was a problem with it. Plenty of cars about though ..

I'm with you on sitting on the fence Charlie. I don't really need to make a decision until next year. Our next trip is to Brighton CC and we get taxis at that one. Shame about that car you were after but like you say there are dozens out there for sale. That link I sent you at Motorpoint Car Supermarket have dozens and dozens. Might be worth waiting for the VW scandal to really kick in and they will be giving away the little VW Up's?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Hi John
I think 4300kgs is the unladen weight isn't it? That's before 3 adults, fuel, water, luggage etc? 5000kgs being the max fully laden weight? Is that right?

So assuming that I load up to the max limit, I would only have 1000kgs? Or have I got it all wrong :oops:

Mike
You wrote this on post 35.

" From what I can glean online my particular model has a Mass in running order of 4300kgs an unladen weight of 3981 kgs and a train weight of 6000kgs. So what's the maximum weight I can get away with trailer and car?"

Which to me is 3981 unladen weight ; 4300 fully laden & your gross train weight is 6000kgs,Therefore as oaktree11 said you have 1700kgs for trailer & vehicle.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I'm with you on sitting on the fence Charlie. I don't really need to make a decision until next year. Our next trip is to Brighton CC and we get taxis at that one. Shame about that car you were after but like you say there are dozens out there for sale. That link I sent you at Motorpoint Car Supermarket have dozens and dozens. Might be worth waiting for the VW scandal to really kick in and they will be giving away the little VW Up's?

HaHa maybe .... VWs are very good but so are Toyota.

I'm usually pretty decisive and would for sure have bought the Toyota but things happen or not for hopefully the right reasons.
I still keep thinking about one of those Peugeot Metropolis/Piaggio MP3 scooters. I've been into bikes all my life so perhaps that's why they keep popping into my thoughts.
These bikes have massive deep comfortable seats with lots of luggage (For a bike) capacity. One would get us right into the centre of any town like for instance Vannes or Amsterdam. This would mean absolute minimal walking for my wife who cant walk far without bad pain.
So put one on a trailer and it answers most of our needs. OK not entirely weather proof but there is the compromise. A 500cc one is a tempting prospect but hells teeth are they expensive....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M1ke

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
You wrote this on post 35.

" From what I can glean online my particular model has a Mass in running order of 4300kgs an unladen weight of 3981 kgs and a train weight of 6000kgs. So what's the maximum weight I can get away with trailer and car?"

Which to me is 3981 unladen weight ; 4300 fully laden & your gross train weight is 6000kgs,Therefore as oaktree11 said you have 1700kgs for trailer & vehicle.

Thanks Gus

As you can tell I have no idea about these things and I am only going by what is written on the Swift pdf for my vehicle. It reads as such:-

Maximum Technical Permissible Laden Mass - 5000kgs
Mass in Running Order - 4300kgs
Maximum User Payload - 700Kgs
Unladen weight - 3981kgs
Essential Habitation Equipment - 9kgs
Gross Train Weight - 6000kgs
Recommended Maximum trailer weight 1000<1600 kgs

This is based on a Swift Kontiki 679 High Line 3.0

So apart from my confusion from the outset, I also have a plate on my towbar which Towtal have fitted, and based on the plate under my bonnet they have embossed on their tow bar plate a towing maximum for my vehicle of 1000kgs. So this is where I am confused between the 1700 you calculated and the 1000 that Towtal calculated.

Gus, make what you want of those figures and if you can give me a definitive answer I would be really obliged.

Cheers Mike

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Thanks Gus

As you can tell I have no idea about these things and I am only going by what is written on the Swift pdf for my vehicle. It reads as such:-

Maximum Technical Permissible Laden Mass - 5000kgs
Mass in Running Order - 4300kgs
Maximum User Payload - 700Kgs
Unladen weight - 3981kgs
Essential Habitation Equipment - 9kgs
Gross Train Weight - 6000kgs
Recommended Maximum trailer weight 100s0<1600 kg

This is based on a Swift Kontiki 679 High Line 3.0

So apart from my confusion from the outset, I also have a plate on my towbar which Towtal have fitted, and based on the plate under my bonnet they have embossed on their plate a towing maximum for my vehicle of 1000kgs.

Gus, make what you want of those figures and if you can give me a definitive answer I would be really obliged.

Cheers
Right that is some different amounts. You have an UL/weight of 4300 when in running order & a payload of 700kgs. Assuming you are up to this then you can only have a trailer/vehicle combo of 1000kgs to bring it up to the gross train weight.
The reason it actually states on the plate that the
Recommended Maximum trailer weight 1000<1600 kg is that if you ensure that your vehicle is only at the 4300kgs MRO weight then you could tow a trailer of 1600kgs. At the 5000kgs you can only tow 1000kgs.
Hope this helps.

OP
OP
M1ke

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
Thanks Gus and yes that's why I discounted a trailer because it would take me over my weight limit by about 350 kgs. Towing on an A frame I could just about get away with it as the car weighs 940kgs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back