Car Trailers

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by M1ke, Sep 15, 2015.

1. M1ke

M1ke Funster

I am in the market for a car trailer to trailer my 2015 Fiat 500. We purchased it with the intention of either A framing it or trailering it. I have read the recent lengthy thread regarding A frames and I am leaning towards a trailer for long term legality more than anything, and perhaps using it abroad with peace of mind. Of course the downside is that I have to store the trailer when not in use but my main concern is storing it onsite, mainly at Caravan Club sites.

I have been looking online at various companies who supply trailers specifically for motorhomes and was quite impressed with smart-trailers.co.uk (although expensive) and was wondering if any fun members have purchased one of their trailers and how they got along with it. Specifically I watched this video..

I quite liked its compact size especially with my storage concerns.
    How do other users store their trailers on sites? Can you use the trailer as a parking space? By that I mean, can you uncouple it from the motorhome and drive the car onto it thereby only taking up one space?

Are there any other companies you would recommend or could offer any other advice? Also let me know if you have a similar compact trailer you wish to sell.

Cheers Mike:)

2. buttons

buttons Funster

Looks like it could do with another set of wheels to me. A puncture could easily lead to disaster. Must be over a ton on those small wheels, I would take a wide birth if I was passing one like that.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Electraglide

Electraglide Funster

Phoenix trailers seem good, I have enquired if they can adapt their car trailer to also carry two motorcycles, not at the same time as a car, and they seem very helpful and have good reviews

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  4. StefAndDi

StefAndDi

@M1ke

I have seen motorhomers do this on CC sites many times.

I don't currently tow a trailer but it was in the back of my mind when purchasing my motorhome so I had a draw bar factory-fitted.

Stef.

• Like Like x 1
  5. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

Recently done the same with advance fit of a tow bar, and for the same reasons as the OP regarding 'A' frame issues. We have seen a few towing smart cars on trailers on club sites, and one we chatted to was changing his trailer because of issues getting it on and off his existing trailer.

He also said they were not the easiest things to get in and out of once on the trailer due to mobility issues he had especially when wet. That was one of the things I noticed on this video, it only shows driving on, and it's on a solid surface in the dry. It would be nice to hear from those with experience of pros and cons of car on trailer use.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

havent heard it called that for a while, must be an age thing:)

7. StefAndDi

StefAndDi

No, it's a Hymer thing! LOL.

• Like Like x 1
  8. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

I use a Brian James Bantam trailer to carry a Smart car. I've only had it for about 14 months and it was a bit of an impulse purchase but now I wouldn't be without it. Loading & lashing takes less than 10 minutes as does unloading. The Smart door clears the trailer mudguard easily so apart from stepping over the mudguard when leaving the car parking on the trailer is as easy as parking on the ground. However more times than not I've been able to leave the trailer hitched whilst on site - there's often plenty of room behind a pitch. One of the best things about having the car is the ability to shop for essentials (food 'n' booze) after siting the van. No more trying to find a supermarket en route - simply pitch up, have a brew, then pop down to the nearest source of essentials. If, on the odd occasion it's necessary to park on the trailer, stepping from car to ground is a problem my trailer did come equipped with a winch. I've removed the winch but it could equally easily have been replaced with an electric version.

• Like Like x 2
  9. tinks703

tinks703 Funster

Hi, why not try hedley trailers. They offer one model tilt bed £1600 for cars up to 1700kg. Pulls great euro cert. I have no connection with the company, just satisfied customer.

• Like Like x 1
  10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

that could be a tuggers post .. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  11. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

It could just be an ex-tuggers post ...............:whistle::whistle:

12. Speve

Speve Funster

I have recently bought a trailer from Phoenix it's a very good trailer well built we put our 4x4 Fiat Panda on it, tows really well.
    They can make trailer to the size you require and are very helpful ours was £1795 and delivered to my home,comes with spare wheel and hitch lock.

• Like Like x 2
  13. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

you know what they say...:LOL:

you can take the tugger out of the man.. but not the man out of the tugger :ROFLMAO:

14. M1ke

M1ke Funster

I like a good tug.

• Like Like x 2
  15. laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan Funster Life Member

I would not be put off by the trailer only having two wheels , I used to tow a 1.5 ton boat on a two wheel trailer and when I had a flat tyre there was no loss of control.
    The advantage of having two wheels over four is that the trailer is much more manueverable , 4 wheel trailers have a crabbing effect

• Like Like x 2
  16. Emmenay

Emmenay Read Only Funster

I have travelled over ten thousand trouble free miles with a Williams ct115 single axle trailer in tow, carrying a new shape ford ka (fiat 500 in drag).
    I would highly recommend it for build quality, manoeuvrability on or off tow and yes you can easily use it as a parking space.
    I have stayed on all kinds of places throughout Europe and have only ever got into one tight spot which I won't go into...:whistle:

• Like Like x 3
  17. M1ke

M1ke Funster

Do you happen to remember who you bought it from?

18. Emmenay

Emmenay Read Only Funster

I will in a minute or two, not a million miles from Huntingdon.

19. M1ke

M1ke Funster

Brilliant! I have just read the spec and it sounds perfect!

• Like Like x 1
  20. jac-in-a-box

jac-in-a-box Read Only Funster

Woodford is another manufacturer worthy of a look. I recently bought one their Smart trailers second hand from a motorhomer who was giving up the pastime - less than a year old for a giveaway price.

Well built, no difficulties getting the Smarty on or off and no issues with getting myself out of the car once on the trailer ( trailer spare wheel on passenger side)

Quite possibly the best motorhome "accessory" I've bought! :)

David

• Like Like x 2