Car Trailer, Charge Battery whilst Towing (1 Viewer)

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
So just brought a car trailer with a motormover already fitted but it does not charge the battery when towing. I can only charge via mains using Ctek charger or via a 10w solar panel which was included. My other issue is the battery box is not waterproof and although at present not important i could do with some suggestions on how to fix both.

I am not good with electrics but this cant be a big job can it to wire from the battery into the 13 pin plug ? who should i be contacting to get this sort of thing sorted as rang a few towbar companies and they didnt want to know.

The battery box may be a bit more challenging but that can be done anywhen as for now i will just cover it up. It did have a wooden lid which flew off when i was bringing it home as i was not told it was not fixed down. Didnt find out till i stopped at a service station only to find the lid missing. At present i have just put together a make shift ply lid but it will definitly need sorting at some point.

Any pointers!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The 13 pin socket should already have the spare pins for a split charge, you just need a relay and wiring.
If you cant do it try a caravan or trailer dealers.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
The 13 pin socket should already have the spare pins for a split charge, you just need a relay and wiring.
If you cant do it try a caravan or trailer dealers.
Thanks, i will see what trailer compaines are near me. for some reason the ones i have already called didnt want to know although they were towbar companies but essentially this is very similar as i am not asking them to do anything other than wire the battery so it charges whilst being towed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I tow a car on an a-frame and the toads battery is charged via the 13pin socket which has been adapted by Towbars2Towcars to do this, so shoud be possible in your case ... just needs a permanant live feed to a spare pin.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
any auto electrician could wire both motorhome and trailer in under 2 hours. very easy run of the mill job and fairly simple diy

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if your towing with a motor home you could just wire it to the leisure batteries its unlikley to draw any current with the tow plug in

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Found someone to do it, they want £72 which although is a lot for what needs to be done it will include a new 13 pin plug and any additional cables etc. The good thing is that they are local which is a first for me as usually anything i want done is normally 3-4 hours drive so this is a blessing :)

Thanks for your help.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Found someone to do it, they want £72 which although is a lot for what needs to be done it will include a new 13 pin plug and any additional cables etc. The good thing is that they are local which is a first for me as usually anything i want done is normally 3-4 hours drive so this is a blessing :)

Thanks for your help.
actually that is very cheap if it includes materials. about £30 retail for parts

Reactions: zac
OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
So had the trailer sorted but when i went to pickup they tested it connected to the motorhome and it now turns out the 13pin plug on the motorhome end is wired as a 7pin so now that also needs sorting. The trouble is i am selling the motorhome in January so dont really want to be spending out on it if i dont have to. They want another £72 to wire the plug on the motorhome. Will have to decide if i want to spend more money on the motorhome or just put up with it for the next trip.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
it now turns out the 13pin plug on the motorhome end is wired as a 7pin
Instant MOT failure.
It obviously hasn't been tested as it must function as a 13 pin socket for the MOT...and a proper tester is used to check.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Instant MOT failure.
It obviously hasn't been tested as it must function as a 13 pin socket for the MOT...and a proper tester is used to check.
No idea what that means, it will be gone before it is due for its first mot. It was fitted by approved witter fitting center so i have no idea why it would not be wired correctly. It worked ok for the hydratrail when i used it but then that didn't need to charge anything when towing.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It means that it is wired correctly for towing a trailer. Wiring it for a caravan (which needs battery charging amongst other things) would normally be a waste of time and money. However, now that you wish to charge a battery on the trailer, it needs to be brought up to caravan standard so it will charge the trailer battery as if it was the leisure battery fitted to a caravan.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back