Car Park height/width Government Petition

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Theonlysue, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

2. bazfergy

bazfergy Read Only Funster

signed it:thumb:

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

waste of time......local government impliment the barriers not westminster.

4. meanders

meanders Funster - Life Member Life Member

signed it :Smile:

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Yes, what John says is correct. The current government - and the one we have next year when the petition ends - will not bring in the primary legislation needed to make the change requested.

Persuading local authorities to use the powers they already have by providing positive examples of why it will be beneficial is much more likely to have the desired result. Only trouble is finding people willing to provide those positive messages. Judging by the responses to previous similar threads most motorhome owners do not wish (for whatever reason) to do so.

Graham

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Agreed Graham, but i think the problem is folks dont have the necessery 'skills' needed to put forward a convincing argument...me included:Blush:

"Pleez dont put eni moor bariars up cos i cant get me motor'ome in." doesnt really carry any clout , does it.:BigGrin:

i know you have various 'standard' letters/formats but are they 'adjustable' for different needs?

7. vwalan

vwalan Funster

thats because by signing on line or similer people think it will make a differance . try getting enough people to go to a council meeting n make a point . just as well slam the door on your fingers less painfull. in the uk most talk the talk but dont do the walk. then moan for ages afterwards.

8. meggie

meggie Funster

sigend it:thumb:

9. carl65

carl65 Funster

All done hope this works parking somtimes can be a pain

carl

10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Yes - and I'll always help individuals in particular situations if asked :Smile:

Graham

11. bigfish

bigfish Read Only Funster

agree with this one, we have a car park opposite our local pub, used for the cricket ground. Used to be used by the odd wild camper no problems.
    Then the travelers found it, Bu____red up the ground for 3 / 4 yrs on the trot, and left piles of fly tipped rubbish to be cleared. Local goverment got loads of stick for doing nothing, when the presure was enough proper height / width barriers went up, cricket ground back to a place for all to enjoy. point is national gorden brown dictatorship dont give a dam or know where we are untill election time.
    SORRY SORRY didnt mean to rant.

12. dencol

dencol Read Only Funster

Hi,
    Signed it.

But have to say I will always contact local authority using Graham's letters suitably adapted if I find a problem with a car park. Depending on the reply will send a follow up letter explaining how much money they are missing out on.
    If I find a council with good facilities will also write to them with a thank you (I sometime use their reply in my letters to problem councils to the affect -politely- if xxx can do it why cannot you).
    I also write to the local chamber of commerce and tourist board explaining the loss of trade.

Its turned into a bit of a hobby and don't find it too much trouble as I have standardised letters on the computer. Also most councils etc have email contact facilities.

Most are not interested but have has some success with two councils so it is worth trying.:BigGrin:

Most important please pass the details of good and bad facilities to Graham for the website as I check it before visiting an area and it makes a difference knowing where the car parks are.:thumb:

Colin

13. buttons

buttons Funster

Keep hight barriers

Height barriers....Not a problem get yourself a pop top they will fit under any restriction. It is the no parking for any vehicle with cooking facilities that is my biggest pain. Swanage council loves these.
    If you do away with height barriers they will get you with some other devious restriction. Hight barriers are far less restrictive than signage dont get rid of them they are by far the best option. :Doh:

14. gunerdoo

gunerdoo Read Only Funster

Signed it :thumb:

15. MicknPat

MicknPat Funster

I noted this petition in the latest issue of Practical Motorhome.

Okay, It's one thing for people to get together to get them removed and that's great if only they could suggest an alternative

What good is removing the barrier to find it full of itinerants :Angry:

mick

16. madbluemad

madbluemad

Were all sick off height barriers but they are there for a reason (most of the time).

I reckon GB doesnt get involved because he hasnt got the time.

I woudnt like to be his diary seceratary when I pointed out to him that he had to drop everything for a day whilst he considered a petition from motorhomers about hieght barriers. You know forget Afganistan, weapons and body armour for troops, helicopters etc etc, Iraq, Iran. Financial Market Collapse, uneployment need I really go on.

The council is the place to go.

Have you yourself ever been to the council and petitioned them about height barriers, I bet not.

Give GB a break.

Jim:Smile:

17. The Clangers

The Clangers Read Only Funster

Signed it, as fed up with existing laws not being enforced as it is too difficult, or time consuming, so they bring in other rules that penalise the majority for the faults of the minority.

Not just due to motorhome, I drive a van at work and often see a nice spot to pull in for my lunch, but am unable to do so due to height barrier. Even to stop and buy some lunch sometimes.

David

18. teensvan

teensvan Read Only Funster

signed it :thumb:

19. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

Sundowners (2) and Upmarkethippy have signed.

20. leeks

leeks Read Only Funster

signed it:Smile:
    Leeks