Car park fine for parking outside bays. (1 Viewer)

nannyjan

Free Member
Mar 22, 2010
Forest of Dean, Glos
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
New end of March 2010
Help and advice wanted. Parked in Tesco car park monitored by UKPC. Very busy and could only park by restricting trolley park with canopy. Had to keep mirror out to monitor how near I was to canopy and got within 3 inches which still left me just encroaching into next bay. It was in a little used part of the car park but sadly on my return a £60 fine was waiting for me attached to my windscreen. Going to appeal but with a wide vehicle with a restriction on the passenger side stopping me parking centrally in the bay seems very harsh. Let me know what you think and I just hope the time and trouble to appeal will be fruitful. Keep smiling though it is hard sometimes Nannyjan.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Private invoice.. Not a fine...

If issued by police or council then pay up..

Otherwise read up.. www.pepipoo.co.uk

Had 2 in the past from supermarkets, you have to never respond, ignore all letters and 99% you hear no more... IF they do want to follow it up then they need to take you to small claims court, costs them money and time so for something so silly would they bother... After all they have suffered no loss or costs with you parking there...

Sure others more qualified will contribute but thats my take on it having been on the receiving end of a few letters.. Even had a "solicitors" letter that turned out to come from same address as the par park company.:Doh::ROFLMAO:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Help and advice wanted. Parked in Tesco car park monitored by UKPC. .

Private landowners cannot FINE you, end of story, I would ignore it or if you must complain to store manager as a customer without giving your name and address.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Presumably this was with your motorhome ?

Technically you were in the wrong.. but I would appeal to Tesco, enclose a copy of my shopping receipt and explain why you were over the line.. ie you had a motorhome and there was no other suitable bay ..

If they reject that and say you must pay then it's up to you... Ignoring is a option but there is a risk of small claims court action., which if you lose would also incur court costs.

Last edited:

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Nothing to do with tescos at all - private company. As other have said - they cannot enforce it. I've had several - all went in the bin - never heard anything since ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
N

nannyjan

Free Member
Mar 22, 2010
Forest of Dean, Glos
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
New end of March 2010
Nothing to do with tescos at all - private company. As other have said - they cannot enforce it. I've had several - all went in the bin - never heard anything since ::bigsmile:

You are right Dave, Tesco's say they have nothing to do with it, crafty devils but the UKPC don't call it a fine they say it is a charge, do you think that makes a difference. Thanks again.

jann

Free Member
Mar 21, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
If I thought that I was not parked correctly I would speak to someone as soon as I entered the store( ask for their name).

speed080

Free Member
May 28, 2010
Funster No
they call it a charge because only a government body,ie police/councils etc. can fine you, just forget it its a play on words to make people think they have to pay.Ignore it and any correspondence.::bigsmile:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Have you considered speaking to Tesco, as it is still their land, and telling them your extended large family's shopping will henceforth be done at ASDA if they don't sort it?

failing that........ignore it.

OP
OP
N

nannyjan

Free Member
Mar 22, 2010
Forest of Dean, Glos
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
New end of March 2010
Have you considered speaking to Tesco, as it is still their land, and telling them your extended large family's shopping will henceforth be done at ASDA if they don't sort it?

failing that........ignore it.

Forgot to say four other cars were parked far worse than I was which obviously was just bad parking guess what they didnt have any tickets stuck to their windscreens, so unfair hey!!!!!!!

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Just pay up and save yourself weeks of distress, you will be ill at ease every time the knocker goes. Bailiffs can be a daunting experience.
Or......just ignore it I'm sure you wont hear another word::bigsmile:

Dotplus6

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
4 yrs in total but not consecutively. Just bought the 3rd.
That is interesting GJH - guess which stores I won't be visiting once I get my motorhome!

Dot

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Official position of Tesco (and other supermarkets) Here.

Perhaps Morrisons negative response another small factor leading to their very poor recent results.
As for waitrose, also negative, I am a poor hard up old pensioner and can't afford them :RollEyes:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Just pay up and save yourself weeks of distress, you will be ill at ease every time the knocker goes. Bailiffs can be a daunting experience.
Or......just ignore it I'm sure you wont hear another word::bigsmile:
Classic Buttons....

ronseal-shed-fence-wood-preservative-5-00114261M.jpg

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Perhaps Morrisons negative response another small factor leading to their very poor recent results.
As for waitrose, also negative, I am a poor hard up old pensioner and can't afford them :RollEyes:

We stayed at a THS in Blackpool last year and Morrisons was a bit more convenient than Tesco for shopping/fuel as we were leaving. On arrival I saw a notice saying that use of multiple bays was not allowed.

However, I asked at the Customer Service Desk if it would be OK and the lady there told me that the parking attendant hadn't started his shift and that she would watch out for him coming. That conversation would, I think, have changed the terms of the contract as displayed on the boards in the car park.

Her agreement could, of course, have had something to do with me saying that if we weren't allowed to park we would have to buy our food and diesel at Tesco a mile away ::bigsmile:

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
You are right Dave, [HI]Tesco's say they have nothing to do with it[/HI], crafty devils but the UKPC don't call it a fine they say it is a charge, do you think that makes a difference. Thanks again.

Not technically true
Tesco own the car park.
Tesco contracted the management of said car park to an outsourced company, UKPC.
I would argue that Tesco have a degree of responsibility to protect their customer base/their revenue.

UKPC can call it whatever they like, but, as others have posted - it's just an invoice. They're just chancers - issue a hundred "charges" and percentage of those folk will be scared enough into paying. Some send out "reminders" or even "final demands", which I'm sure will have a similar effect on a few more folk.
But bottom line is - they have no more power than you or I. If they want to pursue the outstanding charge, then they have to by going through the County Court process for debt recovery.

We have signs and cameras up at the entrance to our Tesco warning that parking is limited to 3 hours. But- I can't remember ever seeing any warnings about straddling two bays.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Bailiffs

Do NOT concern yourself with fears of bailiffs. They would ONLY come into play should you be taken to Court and loose the case. This is highly unlikely if not impossible as the company taking you to Court would need to set out a claim detailing the damages they seek. They have not actually incurred a quantifiable loss therefore there cannot be a claim.

I would urge you to read the links provided in other posts and remember this is NOT a fine merely an invoice or charge notice which is probably unenforceable.

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Just a thought:

Never admit that you were the driver. Always reply as the registered keeper and only if contacted by post. They can't prove who the driver is. If you were not driving then how can they have any sort of contract with you?

I'm sure the more legally savvy will be able to pick holes in this if I am wrong.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Presumably this was with your motorhome ?

Technically you were in the wrong.. but [HI]I would appeal to Tesco, enclose a copy of my shopping receipt and explain why you were over the line.. ie you had a motorhome and there was no other suitable bay .. [/HI]

If they reject that and say you must pay then it's up to you... Ignoring is a option but there is a risk of small claims court action., which if you lose would also incur court costs.

Send an e-mail to Mr Philip Clarke, Chief Executive
Email philip.clarke@uk.tesco.com

Refer to the correspondence I had with John McGovern, Customer Service Executive, in February last year (Tesco Ref : 14258700) in which he made the statements published on my web site.

EDIT - You could always copy the e-mail to John McGovern - ceo.customerservice@tesco.co.uk

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I doubt very much if they would take you to court. Think of the bad publicity that would follow no matter who wins.

Oct 24, 2013
Nantwich. Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
6yrs ish!
Ignore it. We had the same problem with the same firm. Parked in a bay at tesco's as all disabled bays were full. Came back, hey presto a ticket. Complained to tesco. They referred me back to the company. I just thought "stuff you". Never heard anything else.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Just a thought:

Never admit that you were the driver. Always reply as the registered keeper and only if contacted by post. They can't prove who the driver is. If you were not driving then how can they have any sort of contract with you?

I'm sure the more legally savvy will be able to pick holes in this if I am wrong.
as previously mentioned the latest rules about this changed in 2013. you need to challenge the invoice in a specific way. wait till you get the notice to keeper then respond to that

never confirm you were driving the vehicle as the parking company can take this as an admission of guilt. a good proportion of these tickets get cancelled when correctly challenged. but read the page on the subject on money saving expert
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I stand by my advice.. and as advised by Graham ..

do not ignore it..

Ticketing and enforcement ..

If the ticket is ignored or remains unpaid, the parking company will usually start to write to the keeper to chase payment. By this point about two-thirds of people will have paid up, fearing legal action if they did not. For those that choose not to pay, the parking company will then issue further letters offering last chances, and threatening legal action. Initially the letters come from the parking company, but then later ones may be sent by ‘Debt Collection Agencies‘ and Solicitors. It should be noted that these letters are usually pre-written templates (see examples of these here). Faced with these letters, the receiver will likely feel intimidated into paying and therefore the parking company will have further improved their success rate, leaving the remainder unpaid (also, see our article on the myth of Debt Collection companies).

If a parking company wishes to take further action to get the money they claim they are owed, they would have to apply to a County Court or Money Claim Online (the online version of a County Court). Typically these sort of claims would be allocated to the ‘Small Claims track’ due to the small amounts in dispute. A claim will cost them about £30 to register. If they have met the keeper liability requirements, then proceedings can be issued against the keeper, irrespective of whether they were driving the car at the time or not.

When legal enforcement remains the only option to the parking company, they are near the point of diminishing returns – i.e. the amount being sought is not worth the outlay given the chance of them winning the case – and therefore very few cases of this type actually reach court. A Freedom of Information Act request showed that in 2011 of 1.8 million tickets issued last year, only 845 resulted in claims being made, and of those only 49 were contested in court – or to put it another way 0.003% of all tickets issued. Irrespective of this, from the parking company’s perspective, they may have already collected payment for three-quarters of the tickets issued, so their business is making very good money. It should also be noted that following the introduction of the Protection of Freedoms Act in October 2012, it is not yet clear whether the amount of cases going to court will increase or decrease as a result.

bear in mind.. if there is a judgment against you, it may harm your credit rating.. is it worth the risk..?

Last edited:

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
one of the points of having a m/home forum could be

the point where there is an online petition section ,
like sign here now for objection of fine against motorhome owners in your car parks clearly line lined only of small to medium sized vehicles if this is not delt with forth with then several thousand owners will move over to lidle or aldi car parks for shopping where they have spaces allocated for such vans,
"this is an example" ,, a show of strength,, the same could go if several owners we badly treated at a certain tyre or exhaust centre again example,
this is a large website with alot of members there should be discounts arranged with many companies like kwikfit, and various,,, worth a try,,:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Last edited:

Tony0851

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have just gone through the same at Asda. Don't pay it. Ignore all paperwork. They may call you. They did me still ignored it. Not heard no more that was 4 month ago

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back