Car park fine for parking outside bays.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by nannyjan, Mar 23, 2014.

1. nannyjan

nannyjan Read Only Funster

Help and advice wanted. Parked in Tesco car park monitored by UKPC. Very busy and could only park by restricting trolley park with canopy. Had to keep mirror out to monitor how near I was to canopy and got within 3 inches which still left me just encroaching into next bay. It was in a little used part of the car park but sadly on my return a £60 fine was waiting for me attached to my windscreen. Going to appeal but with a wide vehicle with a restriction on the passenger side stopping me parking centrally in the bay seems very harsh. Let me know what you think and I just hope the time and trouble to appeal will be fruitful. Keep smiling though it is hard sometimes Nannyjan.

2. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Private invoice.. Not a fine...

If issued by police or council then pay up..

Otherwise read up.. www.pepipoo.co.uk

Had 2 in the past from supermarkets, you have to never respond, ignore all letters and 99% you hear no more... IF they do want to follow it up then they need to take you to small claims court, costs them money and time so for something so silly would they bother... After all they have suffered no loss or costs with you parking there...

Sure others more qualified will contribute but thats my take on it having been on the receiving end of a few letters.. Even had a "solicitors" letter that turned out to come from same address as the par park company.:Doh::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 4
  3. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Private landowners cannot FINE you, end of story, I would ignore it or if you must complain to store manager as a customer without giving your name and address.

Peter

• Like Like x 3
  4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Presumably this was with your motorhome ?

Technically you were in the wrong.. but I would appeal to Tesco, enclose a copy of my shopping receipt and explain why you were over the line.. ie you had a motorhome and there was no other suitable bay ..

If they reject that and say you must pay then it's up to you... Ignoring is a option but there is a risk of small claims court action., which if you lose would also incur court costs.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  5. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

Nothing to do with tescos at all - private company. As other have said - they cannot enforce it. I've had several - all went in the bin - never heard anything since :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 3
  6. nannyjan

You are right Dave, Tesco's say they have nothing to do with it, crafty devils but the UKPC don't call it a fine they say it is a charge, do you think that makes a difference. Thanks again.

7. jann

jann Read Only Funster

If I thought that I was not parked correctly I would speak to someone as soon as I entered the store( ask for their name).

8. speed080

speed080 Read Only Funster

they call it a charge because only a government body,ie police/councils etc. can fine you, just forget it its a play on words to make people think they have to pay.Ignore it and any correspondence.:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  9. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

Have you considered speaking to Tesco, as it is still their land, and telling them your extended large family's shopping will henceforth be done at ASDA if they don't sort it?

failing that........ignore it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. nannyjan

Forgot to say four other cars were parked far worse than I was which obviously was just bad parking guess what they didnt have any tickets stuck to their windscreens, so unfair hey!!!!!!!

11. Steve and Pam

Steve and Pam Funster

• Like Like x 1
  12. buttons

buttons Funster

Just pay up and save yourself weeks of distress, you will be ill at ease every time the knocker goes. Bailiffs can be a daunting experience.
    Or......just ignore it I'm sure you wont hear another word:BigGrin:

13. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Official position of Tesco (and other supermarkets) Here.

• Like Like x 6
  14. dotplus6

dotplus6 Read Only Funster

That is interesting GJH - guess which stores I won't be visiting once I get my motorhome!

Dot

• Like Like x 2
  15. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Perhaps Morrisons negative response another small factor leading to their very poor recent results.
    As for waitrose, also negative, I am a poor hard up old pensioner and can't afford them :RollEyes:

• Like Like x 1
  16. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Classic Buttons....

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  17. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We stayed at a THS in Blackpool last year and Morrisons was a bit more convenient than Tesco for shopping/fuel as we were leaving. On arrival I saw a notice saying that use of multiple bays was not allowed.

However, I asked at the Customer Service Desk if it would be OK and the lady there told me that the parking attendant hadn't started his shift and that she would watch out for him coming. That conversation would, I think, have changed the terms of the contract as displayed on the boards in the car park.

Her agreement could, of course, have had something to do with me saying that if we weren't allowed to park we would have to buy our food and diesel at Tesco a mile away :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Gizmouk

Gizmouk Funster

Not technically true
    Tesco own the car park.
    Tesco contracted the management of said car park to an outsourced company, UKPC.
    I would argue that Tesco have a degree of responsibility to protect their customer base/their revenue.

UKPC can call it whatever they like, but, as others have posted - it's just an invoice. They're just chancers - issue a hundred "charges" and percentage of those folk will be scared enough into paying. Some send out "reminders" or even "final demands", which I'm sure will have a similar effect on a few more folk.
    But bottom line is - they have no more power than you or I. If they want to pursue the outstanding charge, then they have to by going through the County Court process for debt recovery.

We have signs and cameras up at the entrance to our Tesco warning that parking is limited to 3 hours. But- I can't remember ever seeing any warnings about straddling two bays.

19. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

And some LIDL will supply parking for MHs. No wonder they are doing well!

Craig

20. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Bailiffs

Do NOT concern yourself with fears of bailiffs. They would ONLY come into play should you be taken to Court and loose the case. This is highly unlikely if not impossible as the company taking you to Court would need to set out a claim detailing the damages they seek. They have not actually incurred a quantifiable loss therefore there cannot be a claim.

I would urge you to read the links provided in other posts and remember this is NOT a fine merely an invoice or charge notice which is probably unenforceable.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
    • Like Like x 1