Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Just read an article on key Jamming that went on to explain that even though the car's locking system had been foiled the car could still be stolen using the following and I quote
I
Once inside the vehicle, the thieves plug a device into the on-board diagnostic port (OBD) which allows them to download the vehicle's electronic information on to a blank key. This key is then compatible with the car, allowing them to drive the vehicle away.

This process can take just seconds.

If this is so then why does it cost £250 for a replacement key when all the programmable information is already in the Car?

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Not sure I have the answer regarding the key costs, but pulling the OBD port fuse & / or relocating the OBD port will help deter & prevent this kind of theft in the first place.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
An OBD locking plug ????
There must be a development opportunity there for someone with brains !!!
Mitch.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Not sure I have the answer regarding the key costs, but pulling the OBD port fuse & / or relocating the OBD port will help deter & prevent this kind of theft in the first place.

As long as moving it doesn't make it an mot failure as the positioning is specified asa regulation. Bit like height & distance in for lights/indicators etc.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
As long as moving it doesn't make it an mot failure as the positioning is specified asa regulation. Bit like height & distance in for lights/indicators etc.
Thats the funniest thing ive read all year
But I agree it should be a failure, the same as ending the exhaust 2ft under the car :xdoh:
I spend half my life looking for the damn things

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016

I just reposition the port & it's fuse when the MOT / servicing is due & then hide it & pull the fuse again after the pass :xThumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It is for a couple of reasons..

1) Keys are a total rip off
2) Those that sell the keys are the BIGGEST thieves out there
3) Because they know ( or believe ) they have the market cornered

A good example ( one which I know very well )
A replacement key for a Honda Blackbird ( 1998> ) from a Honda main stealer will set you back about £140
A replacement key with gubbins will be about £14
You can program the key your self without ANY special equipment for free.. It takes approx 3 minutes

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Instead of spending a fortune on things that your insurance covers you for, why not just buy one of these?

DSC00996.jpg

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
We also come across on a regular basis DIY anti theft devices simply cutting a vital wire , say fuel pump, and putting in a hidden switch has cost us the odd Hr or two looking for why it wont run

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We also come across on a regular basis DIY anti theft devices simply cutting a vital wire , say fuel pump, and putting in a hidden switch has cost us the odd Hr or two looking for why it wont run
I'm tempted to believe that DiY anti-theft systems (provided that the person undertaking them is competent) are considerably better than any OEM or aftermarket device. The problem with any popular make of, or OEM, anti-theft system is that once a potential thief has figured out how to overcome it any vehicle so equipped isn't protected any more. I can think of many ways to disable any vehicle that would be all but impossible to find in the limited time a thief has available. However a decent aftermarket alarm system is good at protecting / preventing access.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Pity in some ways cars no longer have "rotor arms", used to take mine out and keep it in my pocket.! It would be a well equipped thief who had a bag of the different ones!. Currently the M-H Tracker has a cut-off device which cuts out the fuel pump if stolen. I can shut it down remotely!

Never had to try it yet, but in theory at least I can Track the M-H on the mobile or Sat Nag and cut the fuel off just outside the Police Station!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

A hidden switch ? As in one ? :xsurprised:Good lord I used to use three .:xlaugh:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
A hidden switch ? As in one ? :xsurprised:Good lord I used to use three .:xlaugh:

Well they sold them in three`s back in the day, Oh sorry, Mind jumped again. Paddy used 2 you know? it was to be sure to be sure:rolleyes:.

Slickest one I saw, was the Cigar lighter wired into the start circuit. The Car would not start until the Plug (which was wired pos to neg) was inserted!. The owner just carried it around with him!, better than a key!

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
Back in the day my wife's 1100 used to be stolen on a regular basis. We were lucky, never damaged just abandoned. I showed her how to remove the rotor arm which she kept in her handbag with an old leather glove. The next time an attempt was made the car was found in the middle of the road abandoned. Was never stolen again. Maybe it was stolen by the same @rsehole to get where he wanted.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Pity in some ways cars no longer have "rotor arms", used to take mine out and keep it in my pocket.! It would be a well equipped thief who had a bag of the different ones!. Currently the M-H Tracker has a cut-off device which cuts out the fuel pump if stolen. I can shut it down remotely!

Never had to try it yet, but in theory at least I can Track the M-H on the mobile or Sat Nag and cut the fuel off just outside the Police Station!

And I thought I was the only one who used to do this :)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
On my classic Audi Coupe Quattro I had a spare switch where the oe ones were on the dash.

I simply wired the earth off the ignition switch through the spare switch.
When the switch was in the off position the car wouldn't turn over, when in the on position the car would turn over.

Many years ago I had a Ford Sierra 4 x 4

The alarm switch had been put by the bonnet pull catch.
The car went into the main stealers for a clutch as they were the cheapest, I know amazing is what I thought.

Any way I get a call part way through the day asking how they can switch the alarm off, the phone must of been close as all I could hear over the phone was my car alarm.

Made me chuckle that one :)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
And I thought I was the only one who used to do this :)

Apparently, it was REQUIRED practice during WW2?. In order to prevent German Parachutists from stealing vehicles!, (not joking, they where serious!) My Granddad (an ARP warden) said they used to ask every driver who was leaving a vehicle (Not many as most where either laid up for the duration, no petrol, or belonged to the likes of Doctors etc;). "had they removed the rotor arm."

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Back in the day my wife's 1100 used to be stolen on a regular basis. We were lucky, never damaged just abandoned. I showed her how to remove the rotor arm which she kept in her handbag with an old leather glove. The next time an attempt was made the car was found in the middle of the road abandoned. Was never stolen again. Maybe it was stolen by the same @rsehole to get where he wanted.

1100`s (Like Mini`s) where easy to nick.! We had a friend, a nurse, who`s 1100 was falling apart. There had been a spate of thefts in our village, suspected to be RAF boys from the nearby base, using them to go on leave, as they nearly always turned up near a Railway Station, Hull, York, etc;. Any how she left the keys in her car one night, and was woken up around 3am by the village bobby, who said "you left the keys in the car". and gave her a gentle telling off "Could have been stolen etc". She was gutted, she had hoped it WOULD be nicked!. It was worth more on the insurance than on the forecourt!.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
OBD port need not exist for mot (yet)!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
So
What does an OBD look like
for us who led a sheltered life
Some here Kev
Regulations state they can be found within 30cm(1ft) of the steering column clearly they are not
First pic is with an OBD scanner plugged in, these are standard fault code scanners available from £2.99 up to £10,000 plus, NONE of which can steal your Mo Ho.
The thieves scanners talked about on here look the same as all the others mid to top end types (not your £2.99 versions) simply have what shall we call it?? some sneaky software inbuilt.
The other 3 pics show, a hidden flap variety in the centre consul and the last two the chunks of trim that sometimes has to be removed to find em. because there are so many places they are put the trade who use them daily struggle to remember any of them. so when you pop in for a scan we look likes Muppets trying to find what 98% of owners know the location off, :xdoh:But wont shout up in case it makes them look like they are trying to teach Granny as they say,:xeek: it's a vicious frustrating circle:xrofl::xrofl:
Geo
maxresdefault.jpg
renault_kangoo_2012_a.jpg
volkswagen-bora-diagnostic-obd-port.jpg
ford_ranger_2011_b.jpg

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I should add EVERY time you go to plug in check pin condition and double check for the longer earth pins
lot of the cheapo version dont have the longer pin set up and super soft pins than can bend without you noticing,
bent and or shorted pins can make a £1000 scanner look like a bargain at the side of a blown brain.
Remember the OBD socket was never, and is not designed for 2 bob scanners and weekly plug ins and code clearing cycles
it is a delicate Computer Port and should be treated as such.
In fact treat it like a Woman, ask the right questions of it, and it will tell you all you want to hear
mis-treat it and pay dearly
(this is a bi sexual statement to assist both sexes to understand the delicate nature of OBD):xrofl:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
gem.jpg
I should add EVERY time you go to plug in check pin condition and double check for the longer earth pins
lot of the cheapo version dont have the longer pin set up and super soft pins than can bend without you noticing,
bent and or shorted pins can make a £1000 scanner look like a bargain at the side of a blown brain.
Remember the OBD socket was never, and is not designed for 2 bob scanners and weekly plug ins and code clearing cycles
it is a delicate Computer Port and should be treated as such.
In fact treat it like a Woman, ask the right questions of it, and it will tell you all you want to hear
mis-treat it and pay dearly
(this is a bi sexual statement to assist both sexes to understand the delicate nature of OBD):xrofl:
Worse still, there are alarm companies selling their systems through dealers, supplying the alarms with OBD plugs on the alarm wires to plug into the OBD port. This gross stupidity is like making a teapot out of chocolate. Add to this turning the alarm on and off using the original chassis key fob and some wireless sensors (that don't work) and you have a recipe for disaster.

So the end user (the poor sods that pay the bill) think that they have a decent system, when in reality it can be simply unplugged and defeated. If the insurance company has stipulated an alarm it wouldn't qualify despite what it states on the box

Geo is right (as he normally is lol) should the socket be damaged by inappropriate use who foots the bill for all the hassle and the shorted out scanner tools?

The picture is an example of this stupidity, but there are many offenders

Last edited:

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
So
Does my wife have one fitted?

and where can I unplug it? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
So
Does my wife have one fitted?

and where can I unplug it? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hope you have "tin hat"" at the ready:)

BTW. The Maxiscan MS509 is NLA. Had one in the USA for the R-V when it was needing work, meant I could give the repairer the codes before he quoted for the job!. Left it with the son.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back