Car insurance

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ips, Feb 8, 2010.

1. ips

ips Read Only Funster

Will need to get 17yr old daughter a car very shortly as she is about to take lessons, how much should we budget for the insurance on something like a Ford Ka or Peugeot 206. Just a ball park figure req'd from someone in the know or someone who has recently been involved in similar experience.

2. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

My guess is over £1000. When my daughter was 17 (she is 20 now) we decided not to get her her own car but to allow her to drive my wifes honda jazz. The cost of adding her as a named driver was still substantial (about £500 I think) and she carried a compulsory £500 excess, but it was a great deal cheaper than her being insured on her own car.

My wife and I were still the principle drivers of the Jazz, a point the insurance company (quite rightly) checked.

The insurance does get cheaper a couple of years after they have passed the test (assuming no claims, of course)

3. Peter James

Peter James Read Only Funster

My nephew had the same problem trying to get insurance, the only thing against him is his age.

He politely phoned many brokers who said they would ring him back and let him know, but they never bothered to do so when they couldn't find him insurance so there was no commission in it for them. I thought it was a matter of common courtesy to ring someone back when 'you' said 'you' would do so, even if there is nothing in it for 'you'

4. ips

ips Read Only Funster

Apparently it is a LOT cheaper for a girl than a lad according to a friend who's son made enquierys on the matter.

5. big map

big map Funster Life Member

Hi.

In Oct 2008 we paid about £1500 fully comp for a Rover 25 for our 17 year old daughter. When it was due for renewal I tried Bell Insurance, they came out best for young drivers at about £800.

Our son is 17 in May and his grandad is giving him a 06 reg Nissan Micra. My son has been searching the net for insurance and the cheapest quote is about £2700.

Mike.