Car Insurance - I have learned something new!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Teasy2007, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

Hi, we are about to renew our motor insurance and I have been 'shopping around' trying to get a good deal.

Whilst negotiating with Saga, I mentioned that the car would be in the garage for 5 months a year when we went away in the motorhome. They said, no problem, just suspend the insurance for the time you are out of the country and we will refund 75% of the cost. They also confirmed that they would cover the car for third party fire and theft whilst it was on the drive!

Now I am thinking, can I do the same with the Motorhome? when it is stood for more than a couple of months November - February, will they do the same and refund 75%?

This could save a lot of insurance money!

Ginny

2. Beachbum

Beachbum Read Only Funster

Hi Ginny, Yes you can. Take out a policy for example from March to October. You pay for the 8 months on the road. Or you can take out a full year policy and suspend it over the winter period and activate it in Spring. You will find you pay only 8 months Insurance.
    In Germany, I find it a better system. Your Reg plate shows the months you are permitted to drive. Your tax also shows up on the plate in form of a disc

3. smartie59

smartie59 Read Only Funster

Teasy 2007, Hi, I am looking to reinsure soon and didn't like what I ended up with last year but felt I had to as I was getting the MH THAT DAY an they also added on after when I told them I had it at a secure storage site and not at the home post code. I felt ripped off.
    Rod

4. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

:Angry: When I went to MOT and register our Newmar in the UK (the first attempt). The insurance cancelled my insurance after 30 days because I could not supply them with a registration number. The premium was forfit. No money back. £564 for 30 days? RIP OFF. :Angry:

5. madbluemad

madbluemad

I had this same problem but was lucky enough to be able to get the DVLA to move their butts just in time or I would have lost my money.

As far as suspending insurance is concerned I am tied into a 12 month deal and can not suspend it. This on top of limited mileage is a RIP OFF !!!!

Jim :Angry:

6. Neckender

Neckender Funster

What happens if you suspend your insurance over the winter months and it gets nicked from your drive, you've lost everything.

John.