Car insurance company refuses to let me make a claim! (1 Viewer)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
A very brave quote
you might have to test that scenario in court

I believe it is one of those 'grey areas' the law is full of, bubble. Since establishing a legal precedent for it is an exceedingly expensive jobbie, in the past insurers may have opted to make a reasonable offer in the hope they won't have to (came across various such things during my career in the world of liability insurance - cough up but don't admit liability having first assessed how likely the Insured and/or the injured party is likely to push it eg which firm of solicitors has he involved, are they major experts in the field? etc)

However if a legal precedent has been established since I retired, then a) sorry, my statement was incorrect, but I didn't know that and b) obviously this leads to the question, in that case at what exact point does the tow car cover now cease? Certainly does not apply anyway when the van is sited whether that be on a campsite or in the owners garden or storage.

Also, please refer me to the case which established it - cos I do like to know these things for future ref.

OP
OP
bubble63
Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
I believe it is one of those 'grey areas' the law is full of, bubble. Since establishing a legal precedent for it is an exceedingly expensive jobbie, in the past insurers may have opted to make a reasonable offer in the hope they won't have to (came across various such things during my career in the world of liability insurance - cough up but don't admit liability having first assessed how likely the Insured and/or the injured party is likely to push it eg which firm of solicitors has he involved, are they major experts in the field? etc)

However if a legal precedent has been established since I retired, then a) sorry, my statement was incorrect, but I didn't know that and b) obviously this leads to the question, in that case at what exact point does the tow car cover now cease? Certainly does not apply anyway when the van is sited whether that be on a campsite or in the owners garden or storage.

Also, please refer me to the case which established it - cos I do like to know these things for future ref.
Thanks for the reply
I have no legal precedent to quote, but as you correctly state a caravan ceases to be a motor vehicle or part thereof when it is pitched
But quite when a newly detached caravan ceases to be a motor vehicle could be vigorously contested, my lay persons guess is, when it comes to rest:)
My attached caravan was covered and I have been paid out:)
happy new year(y)

Last edited:

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
9 months !:eek: I'd be looking for payment for loss of use for each & every day without the vehicle in addition . Here , the company has 40 days in which to settle in full.
It was a bit more complicated than that due to it was not my vehicle that was hit and I had been injured hence the medical reports and treatment had to take place first. Even so, once ready to complete the legal bit was probably less than 6 weeks to settle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back