Car insurance company refuses to let me make a claim!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by bubble63, Sep 16, 2015.

1. bubble63

bubble63 Funster

hi assembled collective ,I need some divine guidance

Traveling home, we stopped and three cars piled in the back of us, damaging my caravan [yes I have a motorhome too!]

The back of the caravan is damaged, the caravan is not insured as its only worth circa £1500

The car that went in the back of me says he stopped and was then pushed into me, by the cars behind

His insurance company use a claims handling company, they have refused to accept and even entertain my claim as they are 'not at fault' [their car was pushed] and have told me to claim off the car at the back!!!, they won't let me input a claim!!

what is my next step, go to the last car insurance? use a claims company?

help!

2. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

Ombudsman ?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I'm not sure. I'd guess your next step is to find and a solicitor to do all the work your insurance company would have done had you been insured. I imagine that will make a policy look cheap. Maybe there is a cheaper option and if there is, a Funster will probably know (y) best of luck. My gut feeling is you'll need it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

the car that hit you is the one you claim from. they then claim off the next one etc

The fact you stopped and they didnt isn't your fault, nor is the fact they were then shunted into you

insurance ombudsman is a good call, or as the caravan was being towed, your car insurer should claim from them as you are the injured third party with no fault. otherwise start proceedings to claim off the driver that hit you

• Like Like x 11
  5. fastpat

fastpat Read Only Funster

As the B1 says they are responsible. Just tell them your necks a bit sore and will probably get worse if you have to bend down doing a lot of paperwork - that might make them sit up and take notice.

• Like Like x 8
  6. bartiny

bartiny

(y) as above, I have been involved in a similar accident but I was shunted into the car in front, that car claimed off my insurance, then my insurance claimed off the guy that ran into me for the whole ammount.

• Like Like x 5
  7. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

Bear in mind all your calls to them are and have been recorded, and anything that smacks of fraud will be bounced on ten times higher and faster than your actual rights.
    Go and see a solicitor soonest, unless you can handle the claim yourself, or you want you engage one of the advisors on here and elsewhere who will handle it for you. As has been said by TheBig 1, your claim is against the first in line, they have to claim off the one behind them etc..
    As long as you did not cause the accident, you have a good claim.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bubble63

bubble63 Funster

Ok thanks for all the input
    An update

It seems the Towbar is damaged so this triggers a claim thro my insurers
    The caravan is only covered third party via the car insurance
    I have legal cover thro my car insurance
    Because I will claim thro my car ins. It wil establish blame in the sequence of cars
    I then use the legal cover to claim for 'out of pocket expenses ' ie the caravan, excess, travel etc from the liable party, which looks like been the last car of three

This may take time as there will be solicitors involved, but at least I hope I have a pathway now!

Complicated or what!

• Like Like x 9
  9. bartiny

bartiny

:Eeek::Eeek: Flippin heck! good luck(y)

10. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

The Big 1 is right.

If you suffered whiplash or some other injury then go to a local solicitor and make a claim for it and the damage to the van.

Despite what the Government and the insurance companies say , whiplash really does exist as an injury you get particularly from a rear end shunt.

11. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Most insurance now includes legal cover as standard. Read your policy, if you have this, put it in the hands of your insurance and relax!

12. bubble63

bubble63 Funster

I like the relax advice:)
    its difficult to relax when your possessions are trashed and no one wants to accept blame
    they [other parties] then slam the door in your face even though it plain for all too see that they are at fault.
    Insurance companies are not in business to pay out [my observation], but I guess they like the paying in:whistle:

I shouldn't have to reach for a lawyer, I should be able to input a reasonable claim and have it considered:mad:

Only one person getting fat here, and its not me:cool:

Any way thanks for the relax advice, I am trying to do it today:)(y)

• Like Like x 3
  13. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Nice if you can sort it out yourself rather than use an ambulance chaser a pity it might be harder to make a reasonable claim yourself rather than use a spivvy claims company to claim for non-existant injuries

• Like Like x 1
  14. megsdad

megsdad Read Only Funster

isn,t it a pity we have to jump through hoops when we need to make aclaim.especially when its not our fault.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tom'n'Gill

Tom'n'Gill Funster

Happend to us in France, if your caravan is not insured separately your on your own. Our caravan was not insured (low value) and given the amount of damage we just had to shrug our shoulders and put it down to experience.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

I have to agree ,if you don't think it's worth paying insurance on ,
    Why cry if you loose it.
    If an uninsured caravan came off its hitch on its way up a steep hill and rolled back into your Mh would you blame an insurance company or the child without a father who never insured it ?
    Ok so someone ran into the back of it so you want someone to blame but had it come loose and killed someone ,would you happily sit in jail

Vlad

17. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Put the claim in for damage to your car (tow bar) which you are perfectly entitled to do and see what else comes out of it.

• Like Like x 2
  18. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

op does say the van was covered for third party damage via the tow vehicle insurance

• Like Like x 4
  19. Derbyshire wanderer

Derbyshire wanderer Funster Life Member

I would leave it to a claims company to sort as they get paid when you do.

Legal liability insurance is the same as any other insurance in that they ONLY guarantee an argument in the event of a claim!

I once used my liability insurance and when it came down to it they said they would only pursue the other party IF they had a greater than 50% chance of winning in court! That was the end of that. I then had the misfortune to have another issue where a car hit me head on but using a claims company I was fully paid out in 9 months and absolutely NO hassle getting it sorted.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I also had to go through a solicitor to get out of pocket expenses from the person who wrote off my car. I had legal protection via my motor insurance. The money for the car came through very quickly but the out of pocket expenses took longer. Using the insurance company's legal firm was good and although it took a while there was a full payout.

• Like Like x 1