Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
After much debate, should we tow or not, get a smaller van, switch back to a caravan and so on, we have decided - DECIDED mind, no talking us out of it d'you hear:D - that hiring a car as required is the way to go for us.
We want to make the process as easy as possible, not necessarily as cheap as possible but of course don't want to pay hugely over the odds. I was wondering if schemes like the Enterprise loyalty one are worth joining? Or are there better ones?
Any thoughts?

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
My advice for what it's worth would be to deal direct with the car rental operators and avoid the Internet brokers like the plague. I would also buy additional CDW insurance before leaving the UK as the bastwards rip you off royally locally for the additional insurance.

OP
OP
Candapack

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
My advice for what it's worth would be to deal direct with the car rental operators and avoid the Internet brokers like the plague. I would also buy additional CDW insurance before leaving the UK as the bastwards rip you off royally locally for the additional insurance.
Should have added that I do already have the annual CDW insurance from "Insurance4carhire". Thanks though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i have the same policy,if ever i need a car i use doyouspain or for elsewhere,http://www.autoeurope.ie/ never had a problem,and i find the websire cheaper than the companies direct

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
always use the full to full for fuel otherwise you will get ripped off big time

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We used this company last year in faro , but I think they operate pretty much anywhere, and could not fault them, believe me , as people on here know me if I could fault them I would, but they were superb from start to finish, new car, didn't try to sell us anything else, even talked me out of the Spain excess, and paying up front for motorways, and he was right we didn't need it, no quibble about fuel, it was three quarters full when we picked it up and they said bring it back about the same, and that was it .
https://www.economycarhire.com/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
I always use travel supermarket which gives a quote across many companies. If you know ahead of time a good price is to be had. Do the same search over say a week at differant times of the day, you'll be surprised how the price varies dramatically. We've hired twice now both a month each time, once Faro once Lisbon. Both times around £150 for the duration. Then brought the extra insurance elsewhere as allready suggested.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
When you fill up with fuel to return the car, either get 2 receipts ( LeClerc fuel stations in France give you this option) or make the clerk when you hand over the car photocopy the petrol receipt. Just make sure you keep a fuel receipt.
There was a scam in France a few years back that a month after returning the car you'd have the cost of a tank of fuel taken from your card as " you did not fill the car"

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back