Car Ferries to the Channels Islands?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by zen navigator, Jun 29, 2010.

1. zen navigator

zen navigator Read Only Funster

My google search threw just one condorferries. Couldnt find a price plan and do they take Motorhome up to 3m high, 7m long?

Any one recently been to the Channels Islands?

Dave

2. BGDwth

BGDwth Read Only Funster

Dave, they do have a quote/book button facility to see what diff't times will cost. I had a look at it a week or two ago and when the hair had laid down on my head again I went on my way.

Seems to me apart from the usual suspect ferries to France / Belgium where there's more competition on price that it starts to get a fair bit more costly on routes with no / only one rival.

P.S. Only take up to 6.5m vehicles, not sure how strictly enforced..

Also gets quotes here: http://www.directferries.co.uk/channel_islands.htm

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi Dave, they are not very motorhome friendly ..

9 Visiting caravans and motor homes.

Visiting caravans and motorhomes can be driven on the roads subject to a permit and are restricted to one journey to, and one journey from, the campsite and the port. Caravans must remain on the designated site for the period of the permit.

Special dispensation has been given allowing motorhomes to circulate on the Island on a daily basis but MUST return to the designated campsite each night. (Drivers should be aware that many of Jersey's roads are narrow and may have limited access).

Cars used for towing caravans may be used in the normal way on the Island's roads.

http://www.cab.org.je/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=68&Itemid=59

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  4. JayDee

JayDee Funster

We just came back from St. Malo by Condor (it called in to Jersey and Guernsey en route) to Poole, and you're right it's not cheap, but it saves about 300 miles of driving and extra stops.
    We were in a sub (just) 6.5 metre MH and when we boarded we were turned around to park towards the stern for disembarking. We needed to back and shift a bit to get in the slot but it wasn't too bad. Any longer might have been more challenging as, of course, the back end swings out quite a lot and the turn was tight. So maybe they are fairly strict.

John

5. ralph-dot

ralph-dot Read Only Funster

Same here, just last week, we are 3.07m high (limit is 3.1) and 6.5 long it was a bit tight.

6. Wintonian

Wintonian Read Only Funster

I have been to four of the Channel Islands: Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney and Sark. And very lovely they are. But they would be totally ruined if people started travelling there in Motorhomes. There are some places that Motorhomes are simply not suited to and the Channel Islands are such places. Many of the roads are very narrow - too narrow to be cluttered by large Motorhomes. And the traffic jams are bad enough on Jersey and Guernsey at the best of times. Sark, of course, does not allow any motorised transport except tractors, so that is easy! :Smile:

The cost of taking a MH to the Channel Islands renders it uneconomic. Fly there, or take a ferry (both Condor and Brittany Ferries operate jet cats to Jersey and Guernsey), then use a B&B or hotel. For transport use taxis or bikes.