Car Ferries to the Channels Islands? (1 Viewer)

zen navigator

Free Member
Mar 27, 2009
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
My google search threw just one condorferries. Couldnt find a price plan and do they take Motorhome up to 3m high, 7m long?

Any one recently been to the Channels Islands?

Dave

BGDwth

Free Member
Oct 7, 2009
Funster No
Dave, they do have a quote/book button facility to see what diff't times will cost. I had a look at it a week or two ago and when the hair had laid down on my head again I went on my way.

Seems to me apart from the usual suspect ferries to France / Belgium where there's more competition on price that it starts to get a fair bit more costly on routes with no / only one rival.

P.S. Only take up to 6.5m vehicles, not sure how strictly enforced..

Also gets quotes here: http://www.directferries.co.uk/channel_islands.htm

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
My google search threw just one condorferries. Couldnt find a price plan and do they take Motorhome up to 3m high, 7m long?

Any one recently been to the Channels Islands?

Dave

Hi Dave, they are not very motorhome friendly ..

9 Visiting caravans and motor homes.

Visiting caravans and motorhomes can be driven on the roads subject to a permit and are restricted to one journey to, and one journey from, the campsite and the port. Caravans must remain on the designated site for the period of the permit.

Special dispensation has been given allowing motorhomes to circulate on the Island on a daily basis but MUST return to the designated campsite each night. (Drivers should be aware that many of Jersey's roads are narrow and may have limited access).

Cars used for towing caravans may be used in the normal way on the Island's roads.

http://www.cab.org.je/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=68&Itemid=59

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Dave, they do have a quote/book button facility to see what diff't times will cost. I had a look at it a week or two ago and when the hair had laid down on my head again I went on my way.

Seems to me apart from the usual suspect ferries to France / Belgium where there's more competition on price that it starts to get a fair bit more costly on routes with no / only one rival.

P.S. Only take up to 6.5m vehicles, not sure how strictly enforced..

Also gets quotes here: http://www.directferries.co.uk/channel_islands.htm

We just came back from St. Malo by Condor (it called in to Jersey and Guernsey en route) to Poole, and you're right it's not cheap, but it saves about 300 miles of driving and extra stops.
We were in a sub (just) 6.5 metre MH and when we boarded we were turned around to park towards the stern for disembarking. We needed to back and shift a bit to get in the slot but it wasn't too bad. Any longer might have been more challenging as, of course, the back end swings out quite a lot and the turn was tight. So maybe they are fairly strict.

John

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
We just came back from St. Malo by Condor (it called in to Jersey and Guernsey en route) to Poole, and you're right it's not cheap, but it saves about 300 miles of driving and extra stops.
We were in a sub (just) 6.5 metre MH and when we boarded we were turned around to park towards the stern for disembarking. We needed to back and shift a bit to get in the slot but it wasn't too bad. Any longer might have been more challenging as, of course, the back end swings out quite a lot and the turn was tight. So maybe they are fairly strict.

John

Same here, just last week, we are 3.07m high (limit is 3.1) and 6.5 long it was a bit tight.

Wintonian

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
Brittany, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I have been to four of the Channel Islands: Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney and Sark. And very lovely they are. But they would be totally ruined if people started travelling there in Motorhomes. There are some places that Motorhomes are simply not suited to and the Channel Islands are such places. Many of the roads are very narrow - too narrow to be cluttered by large Motorhomes. And the traffic jams are bad enough on Jersey and Guernsey at the best of times. Sark, of course, does not allow any motorised transport except tractors, so that is easy! :Smile:

The cost of taking a MH to the Channel Islands renders it uneconomic. Fly there, or take a ferry (both Condor and Brittany Ferries operate jet cats to Jersey and Guernsey), then use a B&B or hotel. For transport use taxis or bikes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back