Canterbury Park and Ride, Advice sought.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by emmitdb, Sep 7, 2015.

1. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Hi all,

We are travelling on/under? the tunnel at the end of the month.

I have it mind to stay the day/night before at Canterbury.
    Question for you regular users. Does it get full at this time of the year and do we really need a Plan B?

We have it mind to travel midweek and arrive at, or around 3.00pm. Can anyone offer their knowledge? Please.

As usual thanks in advance

2. wurzelwagon

wurzelwagon

Went there last year to visit Canterbury at midday was half full we left around 3pm an only a couple of spaces available . So the earlier the better I would say

3. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Can I ask Wurzel, was that after the snappers had gone back to school. What time of year did you visit?

4. Allanm

Allanm Funster

There is usually space this time of year, Mrs A will be driving past it today and will have a look. Last time we used the Park and Ride, I noticed there was a sign showing directions to an overflow area for motorhomes, so, even if it's full, there should be somewhere to park.

5. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

You should be fine at that time of day.

On the unlikely off chance it's full here are some options for plans B, C & D:

B. Go straight to the tunnel and see if you can get an earlier train. You gain an extra day of holiday that way. You might get lucky and get it for free or a small extra charge. If the charge is too high then revert to D.

C. There are several lay-bys on the B2068 which are quiet enough. This is the road you take from Canterbury to the tunnel terminal so it's the right direction.

D. There are motorway services at J11 of the M20 where you can have a kip. This is the junction that the B2068 brings you to, one before the tunnel one.

I'm sure you'll be fine at Canterbury though.

6. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

We arrive at Canterbury P & R later than that last June and there were plenty of places, had a lovely meal at the pub on the corner too, it's a great way to start your holiday. (y)

7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We were there for 2 nights in May last year and there were quite a few more vans the second day that the first so it is variable but you should still find empty spaces.