Can't sell van. Any ideas, please?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Hollyberry, May 30, 2016.

1. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Last year I put the van with motorhome agent, but it didn't sell.
    Now have it on EBay ( one scammer, nothing else) Gumtree ( someone offered me £4000, advertised at £7250, no other enquiries)
    I just daren't travel away from home on my own, due to some health problems. The van is beautifully fitted out but just not getting used. 12 months MOT ( cost me £450 to get it through)

Any ideas anyone? The longer it stays on the drive, the more stressed I'm getting :(

• Like Like x 1
  2. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

Are you in a position to px it for another one or another vehicle?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Why not put some pictures on here?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

Put an ad on this site and see what other funsters comment. May appeal to someone looking for a mh.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

If the van hasn't sold it may suggest that the price is too high
    You could consider offering it for auction on EBay, with a low or no reserve.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

How about autotrader?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

Or at least post a link to the add.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. andy63

andy63 Funster

Holly,no ideas but my thoughts are this... If having it around is causing you stress then take whatever you are offered as long as the loss you suffer doesn't cause you more stress than having it there...and if you are able to walk away from that it will soon be forgotten...
    Having it and not been able to use it brings it's own maintenance problems with additional costs...
    Your other option is keeping it until you get nearer your asking price and by the sounds of it that could be a while as it appears to have been well advertised already...
    Best of luck whatever you decide..
    Andy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Show us the ad ? Could have a go at rewriting it for you if it helps ?

If the van is as you describe it in good condition and in the right ballpark price wise it will sell .
    Possibly just the way the ad presents.

Just trying to help not criticise !

Sorry to hear of you Ill health !

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

As others have said put details or a link on here for a valuation.

@andy63 is spot on with his advice, you may not like the amount you are offered but losing the stress might be worth it

Good luck anyway

:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. namwaldog

namwaldog Funster

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

I wonder how much it would cost to fix the rear gear issue.

I think that it would help to have a photo showing the bed made up - it isn't easy for some people to imagine what the vehicle would look like when set up for a night.

Also, sales of campers may increase slightly this summer as people head over to France to watch the Euro football events (assuming that France gets its fuel issue sorted). If the price is right for the vehicle, demand will increase over the next couple of months.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    Perhaps you should not have said "Sadly...Due to illness" buyers may sit back and wait for the price to drop,this is just an observation,not a criticism. A lot of people will see this as a stick to beat your price down with,so,chin up and lose that "Due to Illness bit. Best of LUCK.
    Tea Bag.
    PS. Jumping the Gun..Assuming that the RED one on Gumtree is yours......Sorry,if not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

Pauline sorry to be blunt but the photo and mileage along with the description make it sound like an ex postoffice van with a cheap home conversion. These days I only buy and sell motorhomes as a hobby, but experience says you are in the wrong price bracket. too expensive for a surfer or youngster and too cheap for a quality motorhome.
    pictures sell every time and the one on the gumtree ad says nothing useful or that you are hiding something if anything. get loads of pictures including a side shot with the sliding door open showing the conversion

your ideal target is a young couple from say australia or south africa looking for a cost effective way of touring europe. saying its suited to a surfer or fisherman says its rough already and treating it roughly wont make it worse

please take this as constructive criticism and not an insult

• Like Like x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Abacist

Abacist Funster

I am in the same position but with a van that I'm asking £39,950 for. The only enquiries have been scammers. I have it with Autotrader, on here, Caravan Club and Ebay and with Motorhome Agent. I had assumed that it was just slow and that there would be interest as the summer arrived but nothing yet. Pretty much have given up now as our holidays are due shortly which we are not going to give up. Don't want to Part Exchange as I want to buy abroad in Germany. Perhaps we'll have to keep it for a bit and try again later.

The thoughts of making the beds up is a good idea for the photos. Its a nuisance really as its a good van with new tyres, new hab batteries, maxed gross weight at 4,500 kgs with a payload of about 900 Kgs, battery master, mirror guards, alarm system, 2 TV's. extra had door lock etc. Its a 3 litre Auto Trail Savannah so that might be a downside on here and only 2 seat belts but sleeps four.

Hope your luck improves and perhaps some will then rub off on me!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Lot lover

Lot lover Funster

Sorry for the OP BUT an article is only worth what someone will give you for it. There comes a time when you have to swallow deeply and take what you have been offered.

Personally I tend to avoid an item with a "minor fault" - if it is truly minor get it fixed, others may think as I do and walk away rather than take a chance.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. ****

**** Read Only Funster

Bit of that ^^ but i may buy and offer the price to fix taken off your asking. Also when people spend money of a car/van/bike restoring or upgrading they expect the buyer to be footing the bill for this. To me you are selling an 06 Transit with your stamp on it. £5500 for a starting price on ebay and look at any higher as a bonus.

BTW any chance your health improving in a year or two so you can put moth balls in the van and pull it out at a later date.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. PhilG

PhilG Funster

Same here ... if it 'only needs a small fix' then fix it, otherwise you have to take what you are offered.. also , as decent as the conversion looks , its a 150000 van, and that kills it .. the base vehicle is worth £1200 tops, that has to be factored in.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Like others have said the mileage with the gearbox issue (probably only a linkage problem) would put most buyers off.
    It helps to drop the add for a couple of weeks then relist, also go in at a higher price than you want then reduce it over a few weeks, people watching it will often phone once the price has dropped a couple of times.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Thank you all very much for your advice. I will take your advice on board and drop the price.
    That was the correct link to the Gumtree ad.
    Many thanks for all your thoughts----- not offended in the least by any, just want to sell!

• Like Like x 6
    • Thanks Thanks x 1