Can't make up my mind! Help!! (1 Viewer)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Well now, a couple of years or so ago I began to make retirement plans, ie to buy a MH, get a dog and travel to all the places in the UK I'd never had a chance to see...
So, I read the magazines, joined this forum, even went to the NEC & P'boro shows...

And now (semi) retirement is upon me! I have the time, I have the funds but I still am no further forward in my choice of MH.

Apart from knowing the budget, that I want a fixed bed & that it has to be under 6.8m to fit on my drive. Budget has meant buying new is probably just out of reach, and I have learned that buying used would make much more sense anyway.

Lordy! I know not whether I want/need a PVC, a Coach built or an A Class, let alone manufacturer, model or layout... pathetic.

But 2015 is the year I buy a MH (always provided my rental trial doesn't send me screaming for the hills).

I've never spent this amount on one item, and usually have bought cars new as I'm not mechanically minded so the whole thing makes me a tad nervous.

Not knowing what I want makes looking problematic. How I envy those who know the model they want then search the country high & low.

I've sort of come to the conclusion that perhaps I should pick a dealership, and buy whatever they have that fits & feels right.
Nuts ??? ! ??? :wub:

So, I guess I'm looking for a trustworthy reliable dealership who won't see 'mug' plastered across his forehead & knowingly sell me an overpriced lemon. Is that a oxymoron :think:.

Any suggestions ???
Preferably within easy reach of Stamford/Peterborough, though I'm happy to travel.

From what I've read I guess Campers UK would be near the top of the list whilst Brown hills/Lowdhams near the bottom?
Wellsbridge? SMC?

Any personal recommendations? Where to go, who to avoid?

As an example this Burstner at CampersUK looks about right but I'm not quite ready to buy yet - I want to rent one for a week first, make sure I'm not making a huge expensive mistake.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Can't help with that but I was horrified how dealers speek to possible customers. So much so I bought private traveling from the bottom of the country to as damn near the top. I bought private and I'm sure I save a good few thousand and didn't have to deal with a smarmy salesman

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Can't help with that but I was horrified how dealers speek to possible customers. So much so I bought private traveling from the bottom of the country to as damn near the top. I bought private and I'm sure I save a good few thousand and didn't have to deal with a smarmy salesman
I hear you - its all about the vibe.
I might yet end up with the roll of the dice that is a private sale... At least one hopes the 'saving' might cover the cost of putting anything right.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp

I do so agree and when your in a wheelchair (like me) they treat you as not only being physically disabled but mentally too. After a time I feel I want to slap the condescending buggers

Upvote 0
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Evan if you buy from a dealer and you have troubles it can still be hassle to get sorted. I had a couple of small issues on my van I found and fixed myself hour or 2s work and about 20 quid in parts. IMHO easier than arguing the toss with a dealer and loosing van for few days. A little story over 2 years ago a guy offers me his van at a show he was upgrading. It was perfect but left hand drive when I bought my van a local dealer had the other van at 7 grand dearer than I was asked for it. It was sold within 3 days so dealers are putting on big margins.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I don't have a problem with dealer margins, they're in business after all. They have to cover costs, premises, vat, liability, cost of capital outlay as well as making a profit.
We need them to make a profit so as to ensure they stay in business, there is competition, that accessories are stocked and that there is a healthy marketplace... I want them to make money, so they are still there next time I need them.
Hence my op - who are "fair & reasonable" dealerships?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
We bought our MH from Highbridge in Somerset.
Perhaps a little far away (400 mile round trip) ???
Not somewhere I'd go to "browse" but if I had made my mind up about make & model, I'd certainly not exclude them if they had what I was looking for.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back