Can't make up my mind! Help!!

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Langtoftlad, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

Well now, a couple of years or so ago I began to make retirement plans, ie to buy a MH, get a dog and travel to all the places in the UK I'd never had a chance to see...
    So, I read the magazines, joined this forum, even went to the NEC & P'boro shows...

And now (semi) retirement is upon me! I have the time, I have the funds but I still am no further forward in my choice of MH.

Apart from knowing the budget, that I want a fixed bed & that it has to be under 6.8m to fit on my drive. Budget has meant buying new is probably just out of reach, and I have learned that buying used would make much more sense anyway.

Lordy! I know not whether I want/need a PVC, a Coach built or an A Class, let alone manufacturer, model or layout... pathetic.

But 2015 is the year I buy a MH (always provided my rental trial doesn't send me screaming for the hills).

I've never spent this amount on one item, and usually have bought cars new as I'm not mechanically minded so the whole thing makes me a tad nervous.

Not knowing what I want makes looking problematic. How I envy those who know the model they want then search the country high & low.

I've sort of come to the conclusion that perhaps I should pick a dealership, and buy whatever they have that fits & feels right.
    Nuts ??? ! ??? :wub:

So, I guess I'm looking for a trustworthy reliable dealership who won't see 'mug' plastered across his forehead & knowingly sell me an overpriced lemon. Is that a oxymoron :think:.

Any suggestions ???
    Preferably within easy reach of Stamford/Peterborough, though I'm happy to travel.

From what I've read I guess Campers UK would be near the top of the list whilst Brown hills/Lowdhams near the bottom?
    Wellsbridge? SMC?

Any personal recommendations? Where to go, who to avoid?

As an example this Burstner at CampersUK looks about right but I'm not quite ready to buy yet - I want to rent one for a week first, make sure I'm not making a huge expensive mistake.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  2. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

speak to Peter at John's cross. rent a van from them and they will I believe discount the cost from your subsequent purchase

plus he is a member on here and offers us all a discount, plus great customer feedback

• Like Like x 6
  3. Archer

Archer Funster

Hi I think its time for you to pop down to Johns cross and have a word with him I think he will help you out and rent you one as well good luck.
    Gary

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

And get the dog from a rescue centre (y)

• Like Like x 10
  5. Langtoftlad

That's a given - quite possibly Three Counties

• Like Like x 6
  6. Langtoftlad

@Archer, @TheBig1
    Certainly John Cross would be on my list, especially if he has something in stock at the right time - but I guess I'd prefer to look a little closer to home, if possible. If not then JC will be the place.
    (What I rent is somewhat irrelevant - I just want to make sure I don't scare myself silly driving it, can sleep not disturbed by raindrops or dozy pigeons landing on the roof, and don't gag & completely faint when emptying a cassette - that sort of thing :D)

• Like Like x 1
  7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

That is pretty similar to our 2003 Burstner t625 Harmony, the main difference being that the bed/fridge and washroom/kitchen are on the other sides and ours is on a Fiat Ducato base. We bought it from Camper NE (branch of Camper UK) 3 years and were very pleased with their service.

We've had a couple of damp problems about 18 months and a year ago but got them fixed without breaking the bank and are looking forward to keeping it for many years to come.

Joy (Movan) has a similar van on a Renault base.

8. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

All those things happen to me and it doesn't put me off!
    I think living in a confined space with your other half while it pours with rain outside for the third successive day is the true test of whether you will take to motorhoming. Add in a wet, barely house-trained dog and still come out smiling and you know you are going to enjoy it!

• Like Like x 5
  9. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

if you've raised kids through the nappy and potty training stage, then the cassette toilet emptying is pleasant by comparison. as for rain/pigeons on the roof, I actually find the sound of rain quite soothing.
    if the bed is comfortable, you dont worry about the external sounds when asleep. much the same as having the bedroom window at home open of a summers night

dont go inventing too many things to worry about and I am certain you will love being in a motorhome.

nearly forgot, hire a large van to get used to driving a motorhome, its much cheaper. after the first couple of miles it just becomes as natural as driving a large car

• Like Like x 2
  10. Langtoftlad

Nope :sick: !

I'm fairly certain I'll be comfortable with all things - but I feel its wise to take an extended test run before parting with £30k, and it might just throw up some I'm not willing to compromise over.

@DevonBeekeeper - no other half, but I can hardly wait for the barely house (van?) trained wet dog experience :LOL:.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

I could lend you a couple

• Like Like x 3
  12. Langtoftlad

Borrow one for the week I do the rental?
    :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

Both or nothing
    P1010023.JPG

• Like Like x 7
  14. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

Crikey, those two look like a bunch of fun!

• Like Like x 5
  15. Langtoftlad

Weeeell, based on thebig1's advice about hiring a large van... I suppose borrowing 2 dogs might similarly apply :).
    They look adorable, happy smiling faces, lying peaceably by the fire... butter wouldn't melt eh.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

Ok you can borrow mine, she's a pushover,
    image.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  17. Langtoftlad

So that's the (temporary) dog situation sorted :D.
    Now, where do I get the Motor-Kennel err Home from :LOL: ?

• Like Like x 4
  18. Gooney

Gooney Funster

Hey Langoftlad, you just take your time making the right selection for YOU, apparently, statistically most owners don't get it right until their third van.:eek:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

We got it right first time

• Like Like x 2
  20. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

They are a bunch of fun, believe me..... Lovely really friendly couple of dogs.

It took us a few goes to get it right but the rental experience was vital before we even started. First one was a rear lounge which was ok but had quality issues. Second one was a dinette rear kitchen which Mrs Deluxe hated and the current van is a Pilote A class which is almost perfect. Loads of room for humans and dogs.

Having said that, there are other layouts we like but we are restricted to about 7 metres max

• Like Like x 1