can't get the wife to enjoy motor homing.... (1 Viewer)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a memory foam mattress overlay will make the bed far more comfy

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Or is it the ladder that's a prob with the bed ?

Our ladder was OK but when you need to go down and up it again several times a night, it lost its appeal. Though I'm bound to add it was far more comfortable for me than our new motorhome's fixed bed and I slept far better in it. (I'm not sure why unless I feel guilty for wanting to change it or something?)

But there again since we came home from 3 months away in the van, I haven't slept well in our bed at home either.

In our marriage it's not a matter of my husband taking me somewhere - if one of us wants to go somewhere we say 'Do you fancy ... 'wherever it is and we then decide together whether to go there and where to stay. No different from taking hotel or apartment holidays in fact, mutual agreement. Sometimes we will go where Pete fancies and I usually enjoy it anyway even though I didn't think I would and vice-versa. Wherever, it isn't here - so it's a change of scenery.

And a change, as they say, is as good as a rest.

If it's a matter of dog-friendly campsites, there are shedloads of people on here with dogs, why not ask where people's faves are, and look at the suggestions together on the internet?

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Yes I have to agree. Our bed seemed quite comfortable (and very big) but there was an awkward join where the two halves of mattress meet. We thought it was just something we could put up with until we got a foam topper. Now it's so comfy it's better than the bed at home! :thumb:

Wyn
a memory foam mattress overlay will make the bed far more comfy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Hi, sorry but I cannot offer any answers to this problem but I will watch this thread with interest because I have the same problem myself. So something may be said that I haven’t tried or said myself. It can at times be quiet painful seeing other couples being together and enjoying their and others company. But until then I will just have to make the most of the situation as it is. I am very grateful for the friends that I have made.
Steve

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
No one has asked ( that I could see ) what sort of MH you have ..
Is it small ?
If not then I canna offer any help with the cramped thing, but the uncomfy thing I can.

Whilst many people love the memory foam thing, both Woman and myself found them awful

Too hot and could never get comfy

I decided to dump them AND the original mattress things and just bought normal box spring ones.. They are great and feel exactly the same as we use at home.

Sure, they do not fit the spaces EXACTLY ( they are about 6" short ) but they are standard 6' 3" sized ones and the unused space at the foot of the beds is not unused for long I can tell you ( ours is where we store the bed change linen )

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hmmph. Ignoring all the 'it's a woman thing' comments ... as a woman can I say that the part I hate about motorhoming apart from the electrics, the plumbing, the batteries, etc 'the men things' ... is the bathroom. I LOVED my last motorhome because it had a huge bathroom and loads of space to get dressed .. full length mirror ... drawers and cupboards and room to swing a cat... Luxury. This one means banged elbows, stood right next to toilet all the time, can't bend forward to put trousers on without banging head on wall, etc etc.... It is the luxury or taking time to get ready that I miss ... and if I was a couple the privacy of going to the toilet. Maybe that is what is wrong. If it is, then don't know what you can do other than let her know she is not alone and most of the other women parked up nearby are having the same problem of just not bothering what they look like in the end.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
You obviously care for her very much, she's lucky you are trying everything to make her happy.

We could all spend all day asking you questions about layout, beds etc but you need to ask your wife and she needs to be more specific as to what aspects of the van, site, being away etc she doesn't like. You may find its nothing to do with the van.

Friends of ours had a similar problem. We worked out that he spent all week at work talking to people in a stressful job so at the weekend just wanted to go somewhere quiet and chill, she on the other hand spent most of the week on her own, bored and lacking company, so she needed a laugh and to meet people. They now have a small group of mates they go away with who understand his need for a solo walk and hers for a bottle of white!

Good luck, try and come to a meet, us girlies will have a word:thumb:

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Mrs E is of a similar disposition Movan. I really enjoy moving on, 'wilding' [quotation marks inserted as there's not a lot wild about parking in a 6.5 metre full-loaded motorhome] but my wife prefers campsites with facilities. Our van has a fine shower etc, but there's no way it can compete with the room offered in a campsite shower. And she can use her hairdryer. So we compromise - a night 'wilding' then a few nights on site. If you have the bed sorted, then the ablution facilities are likely to be the thing she is least keen on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back