Can't get the fridge out, help!!! (1 Viewer)

gazza280

Free Member
Sep 26, 2012
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
I have been having trouble with the Thetford N80 fridge.
Yes I know its the same question, will not light on gas.
I have serviced the fridge and it had been working fine but the thermocouple needs to be replaced which is the reason it will not light.
I have moved the thermocouple to get a better position but to no avail.

The thermocouple is about £10 but to put it in I have to take the fridge out to find out if its version 1 or 2 of the model I need.
Standard procedure is unscrew 4 screws and slide the fridge out to get access to the top of the fridge, to unscrew thermocouple and replace with new one, but I have unscrewed the 4 screws and pulled as procedure should be. Will not budge!!

I have pushed, pulled and near enough given myself a hernia but unless its filled with concrete I have no idea.
I don't want to take it to a service agent cause they will charge a fortune for the work and I know that the problem is easy to sort.

Has anyone had this before, has anyone got any ideas.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
I think the guys that know will want you to identify the van as the removal of the fridge is dependant on this. I have read threads where it has been necessary to dismantle worktop etc to get the fridge out.
I hope that's not the case for you.
Someone with knowledge will be along shortly I'm sure.
Good luck. (y)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
try looking for more screws through cupboard walls adjoining and use a flat bar to ease the bottom out first. some are just a nightmare to get out. things like mastic down sides at the back and the draught deflector stuck on can cause serious issues

i remember struggling to get one particular fridge out then it being nigh on impossible to refit as the cabinet was too small. obviously built on a bench round the fridge under tight compression then fitted as one part into the van. we slackened the joining screws and packed the joints open to allow what was still a tight fit. some manufacturers give little or no thought to working on the van after its built

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Some fridges can be a real pig to move initially, often there is a taped over joint at the front of the sides of the fridge and if this tape gets ruckled up during installation then the tape adheres to the cabinet work and you would be amazed at just how well it sticks. Try inserting a thin flat paint scraped between fridge and cabinet at the four fixing points, sometimes the screws distort the fridge side panels to the point they dig into the cabinet frame.

D.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
It took two of us to remove our fridge when it needed some work doing recently.
One pulling on the inside, the second pushing from the outside through the vent. Even with two of us it was a bugger to get moving. It was a very tight fit, but fortunately went back in a lot easier than it came out.
Recruit some muscle!
Good luck!

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Ours is the same, stuck hard, it still works well on all functions, so it will remain un serviced for the time being. It vents through the roof so no access through any wall vents. All good German build quality......not!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Many people spill jam behind the fridge, accidentally of coarse, or when in the process of constructing a jam butty on the move........No, if it's Robertsons Jam, or Red Ed's you should have no trouble unsticking it, but if it's Thatchers Jam, your doomed, because, as everybody knows, Maggie was never for moving. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back