Cannot sell a car with a Tax Disc from Oct.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by estcres, Jan 16, 2014.

1. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

2. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

as i understand it, this will apply to all plg vehicles including vans and motorhomes. there will be a different scheme for hgv lorries, horse boxes and possibly phgv vehicles too

• Like Like x 1
  3. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

When my MIL was looking to buy another car recently she enquired about a used one and the sales chap said that there was still some road tax left on it which she could have with it, I enquired why they hadn't sent it in for a refund and was told that they can't do that now as only the original purchaser can get a refund, so things are already changing - for the better in my view!

The only 'daft' thing is their sending out postal reminders still (at a cost) but obviously not everyone will be able to receive email reminders.

4. Steve

Steve Funster Life Member

I have a question that as yet has never been answered in a way I understand,
    Why is the tax not just added to the price of fuel then no one would get out of paying it. There are already systems in place for transport firms etc to reclaim some taxes from what the pay to HMCR. They would even gain on the millions litres used cutting our lawns. I personally would be ££££'s better of. I do 10,000 a year but between 4 taxed vehicles.
    Steve

• Like Like x 4
  5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  6. buyer

buyer Funster - Life Member Life Member

I've been saying this for years,to me it makes perfect sence.( but then I am only a nobody who's opinions count for nothing):thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  7. tofo

tofo Funster

If you had a vehicle which had a nil tax

And government of the day put 20 p litre on fuel

To cover lost road tax

How would you feel

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  8. pappajohn

if it had been implimented a few years ago instead of rehashing the tax into different brackets it wouldnt have mattered.

Extremely low tax bracket cars are low because of low Co emmisions and very low fuel consumption, some cars doing 80+mpg, so the road tax element would be proportional due to less frequent fuel purchases.

I, on the other hand, would pay a lot more getting just 30mpg and an extreme amount getting just 10mpg on my RV.

Now of course, they just couldnt do it.....shot shot themselves in the foot as usual

• Like Like x 2
  9. mikekaren2

mikekaren2 Funster

From the Goverment web site.

News story
    Direct Debit and abolition of the tax disc

Organisation:Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency
    Page history:Updated 5 December 2013, see all updates5 December 2013 1:12pmFirst published.5 December 2013 1:12pm
    Policy:Making roads saferTopic:TransportTopical event:Autumn Statement 2013

The government is changing the law in 2014 to reduce tax administration costs and burdens associated with vehicle tax.

[​IMG]

The Department for Transport (DfT) made clear in its recent Motoring Services Strategy consultation that the government is committed to offering high quality and cost effective services to the public and businesses. DfT and DVLA have listened to the views of both businesses and the public to remove unnecessary burden and provide modern and efficient services to meet their needs. This includes getting rid of unnecessary paper where possible and making it easier for people and businesses to use government services.
    Today (Thursday 5 December 2013), the Chancellor of the Exchequer announced that the government will change the law in 2014 to reduce tax administration costs and burdens associated with vehicle tax.
    DVLA will offer motorists the ability to spread their vehicle tax payments should they wish to do so. From 1 October 2014 motorists will be able to pay vehicle tax by direct debit annually, biannually or monthly. There will be no additional handling fees for annual payments but to limit the impact on the public finances there will be a small surcharge of 5% of vehicle tax for biannual and monthly payments. This is half of the 10% surcharge that is currently applied to 6 monthly tax discs and which has been in existence for a number of decades.
    Also from 1 October 2014, the paper tax disc, first issued on 1 January 1921, will no longer be issued and required to be displayed on a vehicle windscreen. Vehicle tax will still need to be paid but with DVLA having a digital record of who has and has not paid, a paper tax disc is no longer necessary as proof that vehicle tax is paid. The vast majority of motorists pay their vehicle tax with latest figures confirming that over 99% of motorists’ tax their vehicles on time… Most on-road enforcement action is now based on using Automatic Number Plate Readers. These cameras use the number plate rather than a visual inspection of the tax disc. The police also have access to DVLArecords via the police national computer. There are significant savings for fleet operators and other businesses from not having to handle the administration of tax discs.

Hope this helps.
    Mike

10. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

Thats far too sensible a solution.
    Think of all the public sector employees with thier pensions that would have to be made unemployed......and all the buildings that would have to be sold.....

No lets carry on employing people with jobs that dont make sense.

Its a great idea........and no one escapes from paying their "road tax"
    The petrol companies already collect tax on fuel .so let them take a bit more ..........simple :)

And the neat thing is the more you use the roads the more you pay :)

barry

barry

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  11. bernardfeay

bernardfeay Read Only Funster

I can give you an answer that you might understand. The government needs to raise a finite amount of money and it could do it in one of several ways. It has chosen an annual fee regardless of mileage. If a different method had been chosen there would be an equal amount of grumbles from those who would have paid less with a different charging system. It is rather like saying people who wear size 9 shoes should pay less for their shoes than people with size 10s. Similarly, if the parking charge is £1 for an hour shouldn't they have a system to give me a refund if I only park for five minutes. They could, perhaps they should, but it's just how it works.

12. Steve

but if I stay for a minute or my hour I pay, my choice. If I use one litre or one hundred I pay,my choice. But what of the 10's of thousands that don't pay road tax but still use fuel:Angry:. I pay £1000 a year to tax my vehicles to do 10,000 miles that's 10p per mile:cry: but its still £1000 if I do no miles. Pay as you go for me please. seems to work for income tax.

13. bernardfeay

bernardfeay Read Only Funster

That's a very persuasive argument and I agree the price of diesel should go up!

14. pappajohn

vehicle tax is an annual car ownership tax, nothing more, nothing less....a punishment for daring to own a car.

Nothing whatsoever to do with building or maintaining roads as the original tax was.

• Like Like x 1
  15. pappajohn

and nowhere in that script is mention of the o/p's point of not being able to sell a car with current tax.

The only real difference is the offense of not displaying a disc will be removed from the law books

16. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

It's more of a pollution tax now. The more polluting your vehicle, the more you pay.

• Like Like x 1
  17. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I have been in favour of pay by mile in fuel taxation, but this thread has reminded me that insurance has to be proven to tax a car, that check would be lost if we paid via fuel

Similarly with transferring tax to a new owner of a car, they have no 'need' other than the law telling them to, to insure the car, I suspect a lot are driven away from point of purchase, particularly private sales, then insured when at home, or when they need taxing

18. pappajohn

Insurance is proven electronically when buying a disc just as it is at roadside checks via numberplate recognition.....wheres the difference if paying via fuel tax, the insurance is still in a data base and will/could be flagged if its expired without renewal.

19. Steve

This is something else I :Rofl1: about, if they want to clean up on car emissions then why did all the old cars on the road keep their £200 but the new large ones can be paying £400+, one of my cars is s 3.9 v8 Discovery it has got to be far dirtier that a modern car of any make but no incentive to me to get rid of it as a new one would have double the tax.
    Steve

20. pappajohn

the incentive is there....

The gov want you to scrap your dirty, thirsty large engined disco for a nice small car which breaths in farts and pumps out perfume through its puny little 600cc engine at 80+mpg and pay little, if any, tax.

Then.....when we all drive wheeled air fresheners they'll tax cars by the volume of air consumed over a year.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
    • Like Like x 2