ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Has anyone else had Hotmail access problems today (it was fine at 11.00pm last night)?

Hi I have tried for over an hour this morning to access my Hotmail account. this is the first time I have had any real problems, so I "Googled" the Hotmail problem and found this on 'The Internet Patrol' website

If you are reading this, it’s probably because Hotmail has gone down - yet again - as countless Hotmail.com customers find themselves unable to access their email due to a server going down.
[Ed. note: If you must have free email, we strongly recommend switching from Hotmail to another free email service provider such as Yahoo, AOL, or Gmail. We personally recommend either Yahoo or AOL, as they are not only reliable, but they are the top two in ensuring that email you want gets through to you, while still being very good about trying to keep spam out of your inbox. By contrast, many businesses simply refuse to send email to people with Hotmail accounts, because they are notoriusly difficult to deal with, even when their servers are up.]

When we first started covering Hotmail going down, and as a result Hotmail’s customers being unable to get to their email, it was February of 2005. Now, as of this update - 5 years later - it’s still a regular occurrence.

According to a CNET report, back in 2005, a Microsoft customer service representative confirmed the outage, and blamed it on a faulty server, but refused to discuss the exact nature of the problem, or to indicate how many customers’ email accounts were implicated.

Back then, while it was not known how many of Hotmail’s 187million customers were affected, it is known that customers using both the basic free Hotmail service, and customers who pay for beefed up storage, were unable to access their Hotmail accounts.

Said Dwight Foster, a California Hotmail customer who pays for extra storage, “For a company the size of Microsoft, which bills themselves as a progressive, consumer-friendly organization, they’re really taking a long time to fix this,” adding “I’m about to blow a gasket.”

Which might be preferable to Microsoft than the alternative, which is that he take his business to one of the other webmail providers who are nipping at Microsoft’s heels, most notably Google’s Gmail, which offers a gig of storage for free.

In fact, Gmail is a particular pain point for Microsoft’s Hotmail, as according to a report by email analysis firm Return Path, more people switching to Gmail are switching from Hotmail than from any other webmail source - fully twice as many as are switching from Yahoo.

In 2007, we added a new article following another massive server outage. (Read about the 2007 widespread Hotmail outage here.)

Now, in 2010, desparate Hotmail users who are unable to access their email due to a Hotmail server outage come to our site so reguarly that it just makes more sense to update this article, rather than to try to write a new one each time.

Which really invites the question: why are y’all still using a service that leads to your reading this article?

I like many others have had a Hotmail email address for many years and just like my mobile phone number I am reluctant to change it because of the immense amount of work/inconvenience involved, I hate to think how many various people/accounts/forums/businesses have my hotmail account as my contact detail.

Is there an easy way to change? Say something like redirecting my mail to another email address?

Regards Pat

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hotmail should be able to forward mail to another address .

I've been using Gmail for several years ..can't find fault with it .. it has the capability of fetching from POP3 accounts

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
You can set up Gmail to access email from any other email account, if I can do it, so can you

:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
hi Ruff.. I think my hotmail was behaving this am . my feeling is that having had HM as my main web based email for about 10 years, that I have never experienced any problems with it.. so a happy customer ::bigsmile:

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
Same as Johng. 1st time I've ever had any problems with mine.

OP
OP
ruffingitsmoothly

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi just tried to get into my Hotmail account and did so first time!

I am quite happy with my Hotmail account and today was the first really serious problem I have had.

Would accessing from a different PC make any difference do you think? As I am now on my work PC!

Thanks for the replies.

Regards Pat

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Location can make a difference, its probably worth rebooting your router, just pull the power on it for ten seconds. Also, after any connection problems its always a good idea to flush your dns cache. Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt then...
C:>ipconfig /flushdns

That is a space between the fig and the /:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back