cancelling TV licence

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by rikfos, Apr 11, 2016.

1. rikfos

rikfos Funster

We are going abroad for 6 months do any of you funsters cancel their TV licences

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Please explain....tv licence ?

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. rikfos

rikfos Funster

I realise that I have not reached your grand old age of 75

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. pappajohn

Neither have I......

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Are you recording anything at home onto a hard drive etc whilst away?

6. pappajohn

If you cancel you will still be plagued by the nosey department.....except you wont be around to be bothered.
    They get enough out of you for mainly second hand programs so I would cancel officially via the BBC website.

At this very moment I have in front of me a letter from Aunty saying a investigation case file has been opened regarding a vacant property we own.
    The property hasnt had a licence for 3 years....the same period the property has been vacant, the beeb have been told in the past the property is vacant and unfurnished but they still insist on this action.
    A visit is planned to check if a tv is being used....bring it on, there wont be anyone there and the lack of furniture plus the large FOR SALE board may be a reason for getting no reply.

I simply cant be arsed contacting them AGAIN.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. campa cola

campa cola Funster

I cancelled my licence without any visits or fuss, maybe I have an honest face :D Maybe they use some sort of points system to decide who gets a visit o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

I do not think it can be cancelled unless you have a direct monthly payment and cancel it.. My Brother died a year ago and he had a new licence taken out for the next month after he had died, by DDebit. I got it back for the estate but took a fight and bit of time. They however keep sending threatening letters to the empty house, 7 now and they are going to MAKE a VISIT to make a prosecution case for the unlicenced house. I want to be there Just so I can tell them to P**s off. I tried to contact the number on the letters but it was a farcical exercise all the line lead to HOW TO PAY not as expected, a person to stop the fuss. Sod em they can wast their time and not mine

• Like Like x 1
  9. rikfos

rikfos Funster

good on you Pappajohn. I'll just cancel my direct debit and maybe buy another licence when I come back.

10. mustaphapint

mustaphapint Funster

If you don't have a licence their assumption is that you must be guilty until you can prove otherwise. My brother wouldn't have a TV in the house for over 25 years and had a constant battle with them as they just wouldn't accept that anyone would want to live without a TV in this day and age.

11. campa cola

campa cola Funster

You can, my friend cancelled her 1 years pre payment a few months in, and got a cheque back for the balance. Best do the cancelling on the internet rather than the phone we found.

12. ianandkath

ianandkath Funster

i read somewhere that you did not need a llicence if you did not watch "live "tv, or if you did not have an ariel or dish attached.
    it was ok to watch tv via the web though, as a licence is to recieve vie the airways, not through the www

13. pappajohn

Last thing you should do is cancel a DD.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/refunds-and-cancellations/apply-for-a-refund

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. pappajohn

Only if you watch catch up tv.
    Live streaming needs a licence, even if you only stream to a smart phone.

15. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

It's a myth ref having an aerial etc - just having them doesn't mean you need a licence.

AFAIK you ONLY need a licence if you actually watch or record live TV (ie at the time it is originally broadcast) whatever method you use to do so, but NOT for catch-up tv or pre-recorded (but NOT recorded by you!). Also if you watch live TV via the internet (your own broadband or wifi) you still need a licence ... basically anything that is broadcast and watched live needs one.

• Like Like x 1
  16. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

i watched a program on tv and evidently tv licencing officers have very litttle power and you can actually tell them you are withdrawing their right to come to your door cant recall the actual wording

17. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

18. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

Never had one I'm happy to say. Most of my life overseas and now in the mess inside camp with a communal tv :)

19. parknride

parknride Funster

I always cancel mine, but was a bit late this time as the dd had gone out a few days previously for the following 3 months. They let me cancel but wouldn't do refund! :madder: Im staying away for 5 months so will still save. I cancel the DD. There is always a stack of letters when I get back and usually they say you are being investigated etc, they said to just ignore these and phone up to restart when we return. I always get name of who I speak to and note time/date of call on current copy of licence. Never had a problem.

20. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

WHAT !!!!....You need a licence to watch TV. Is this an EU law or a UK law ?. How do they know if you are watching TV ?. Do you have to have a UK licence to watch UK TV in Spain, or a Spanish TV licence to watch UK TV in Spain ?. I only watch Coronation Street whilst in Spain, do I need a licence to do this or can I just carry on ?. What if I just watch Coronation Street on ITV Plus 1. Thats not live, so do I still need a licence ?.
    Confused....Benidorm :).

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1