rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
We are going abroad for 6 months do any of you funsters cancel their TV licences

OP
OP
rikfos

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I realise that I have not reached your grand old age of 75

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We are going abroad for 6 months do any of you funsters cancel their TV licences
Are you recording anything at home onto a hard drive etc whilst away?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you cancel you will still be plagued by the nosey department.....except you wont be around to be bothered.
They get enough out of you for mainly second hand programs so I would cancel officially via the BBC website.

At this very moment I have in front of me a letter from Aunty saying a investigation case file has been opened regarding a vacant property we own.
The property hasnt had a licence for 3 years....the same period the property has been vacant, the beeb have been told in the past the property is vacant and unfurnished but they still insist on this action.
A visit is planned to check if a tv is being used....bring it on, there wont be anyone there and the lack of furniture plus the large FOR SALE board may be a reason for getting no reply.

I simply cant be arsed contacting them AGAIN.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I cancelled my licence without any visits or fuss, maybe I have an honest face :D Maybe they use some sort of points system to decide who gets a visit o_O

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I do not think it can be cancelled unless you have a direct monthly payment and cancel it.. My Brother died a year ago and he had a new licence taken out for the next month after he had died, by DDebit. I got it back for the estate but took a fight and bit of time. They however keep sending threatening letters to the empty house, 7 now and they are going to MAKE a VISIT to make a prosecution case for the unlicenced house. I want to be there Just so I can tell them to P**s off. I tried to contact the number on the letters but it was a farcical exercise all the line lead to HOW TO PAY not as expected, a person to stop the fuss. Sod em they can wast their time and not mine

OP
OP
rikfos

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
good on you Pappajohn. I'll just cancel my direct debit and maybe buy another licence when I come back.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
If you don't have a licence their assumption is that you must be guilty until you can prove otherwise. My brother wouldn't have a TV in the house for over 25 years and had a constant battle with them as they just wouldn't accept that anyone would want to live without a TV in this day and age.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
I do not think it can be cancelled unless you have a direct monthly payment and cancel it.. My Brother died a year ago and he had a new licence taken out for the next month after he had died, by DDebit. I got it back for the estate but took a fight and bit of time. They however keep sending threatening letters to the empty house, 7 now and they are going to MAKE a VISIT to make a prosecution case for the unlicenced house. I want to be there Just so I can tell them to P**s off. I tried to contact the number on the letters but it was a farcical exercise all the line lead to HOW TO PAY not as expected, a person to stop the fuss. Sod em they can wast their time and not mine
You can, my friend cancelled her 1 years pre payment a few months in, and got a cheque back for the balance. Best do the cancelling on the internet rather than the phone we found.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
i read somewhere that you did not need a llicence if you did not watch "live "tv, or if you did not have an ariel or dish attached.
it was ok to watch tv via the web though, as a licence is to recieve vie the airways, not through the www

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Last thing you should do is cancel a DD.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/refunds-and-cancellations/apply-for-a-refund

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
i read somewhere that you did not need a llicence if you did not watch "live "tv, or if you did not have an ariel or dish attached.
it was ok to watch tv via the web though, as a licence is to recieve vie the airways, not through the www
It's a myth ref having an aerial etc - just having them doesn't mean you need a licence.

AFAIK you ONLY need a licence if you actually watch or record live TV (ie at the time it is originally broadcast) whatever method you use to do so, but NOT for catch-up tv or pre-recorded (but NOT recorded by you!). Also if you watch live TV via the internet (your own broadband or wifi) you still need a licence ... basically anything that is broadcast and watched live needs one.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i watched a program on tv and evidently tv licencing officers have very litttle power and you can actually tell them you are withdrawing their right to come to your door cant recall the actual wording

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Never had one I'm happy to say. Most of my life overseas and now in the mess inside camp with a communal tv :)

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
I always cancel mine, but was a bit late this time as the dd had gone out a few days previously for the following 3 months. They let me cancel but wouldn't do refund! :madder: Im staying away for 5 months so will still save. I cancel the DD. There is always a stack of letters when I get back and usually they say you are being investigated etc, they said to just ignore these and phone up to restart when we return. I always get name of who I speak to and note time/date of call on current copy of licence. Never had a problem.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
WHAT !!!!....You need a licence to watch TV. Is this an EU law or a UK law ?. How do they know if you are watching TV ?. Do you have to have a UK licence to watch UK TV in Spain, or a Spanish TV licence to watch UK TV in Spain ?. I only watch Coronation Street whilst in Spain, do I need a licence to do this or can I just carry on ?. What if I just watch Coronation Street on ITV Plus 1. Thats not live, so do I still need a licence ?.
Confused....Benidorm :).

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
tmp_15091-tvdetectMS1407_468x328676111333.jpg
WHAT !!!!....You need a licence to watch TV. Is this an EU law or a UK law ?. How do they know if you are watching TV ?. Do you have to have a UK licence to watch UK TV in Spain, or a Spanish TV licence to watch UK TV in Spain ?. I only watch Coronation Street whilst in Spain, do I need a licence to do this or can I just carry on ?. What if I just watch Coronation Street on ITV Plus 1. Thats not live, so do I still need a licence ?.
One of these will be along soon.......I am assuming they kept a canoe in that top poky out bit, because it certainly could not be used to detect a TV signal!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Not picking at your post but generally at anti licencing sentiment..

When I lived on my own I didn't have a licence. Phoned them every time I got a snotty letter to tell them why I didn't have a licence and eventually they went away (although promised to be back in touch after 2 years)

Now, we have a licence. It costs more than Netflix and amazon prime combined I believe and it is used for about 20 hours a year.. the worst value for money ever..

Except.. We watch EastEnders, Top Gear (pre scandal and plan to watch Evans), the Voice, Call the Midwife, etc etc all on iPlayer. Add all that up and the licence is worth the money. I know, we dong watch any of those programs live so technically we could ban the kids from watching Big Brother and save the cost.. But then if everyone did that we would lose all the programs we like to watch because there wouldn't be the money to make them. So OK, of you are going away and plan to avoid UK TV for 6 months of course cancel your licence. It's a tank of fuel... On the other hand if you plan to use satellite or use a VPN to get iPlayer, chip in your few quid a month so the service can carry on being provided.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
If you cancel you will still be plagued by the nosey department.....except you wont be around to be bothered.
They get enough out of you for mainly second hand programs so I would cancel officially via the BBC website.

At this very moment I have in front of me a letter from Aunty saying a investigation case file has been opened regarding a vacant property we own.
The property hasnt had a licence for 3 years....the same period the property has been vacant, the beeb have been told in the past the property is vacant and unfurnished but they still insist on this action.
A visit is planned to check if a tv is being used....bring it on, there wont be anyone there and the lack of furniture plus the large FOR SALE board may be a reason for getting no reply.

I simply cant be arsed contacting them AGAIN.

Your absolutely right John, i have recently had two empty properties and got threatened at least once a month with investigations of one sort or another.
They assume you are breaking law rather than asking if you are in need of a licence.

If they stopped hounding people, that don't need a licence, and invest the money spent maybe they wouldn't need to cut the budget on programming.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
When I took over my latre sisters house, I rang them regarding a letter they had sent re an unpaid Direct Debit.. It went something like this..

Me.Can I speak to you regarding reference xxxxx

Them. Yes... What the probem?
Me.Well you sent a letter regardibg an unpaid Direct Debit.

Them.Yes, its been retrned by the bak unpaid
Me.YEs, have you checked as reason the bank returned the direct debit?

Them.No.
Me.I suggest you do.

Them.Yes, its been returned "Customer deceased"
Me.There you go then.

Them.The customer will still require a TV Licence
Me, No, she is dead.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003

In France you have to have a French licence to watch any TV ! There is a box on your tax form you must tick to say you do not have a TV regardless of what you are watching .

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Coronation Street,,,is that rubbish still on the box,,,BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back