canal sites & near bus stops

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by june123, Feb 18, 2013.

1. june123

june123 Read Only Funster

Have found a few but would like recommendations. Any sites near canals with good tow paths for cycling. Also near bus stop/pub would be good too. Any Central area - Staffs, Peaks, Derbyshire, Yorkshire/Lancs - or anywhere for that matter. Have van - can travel!

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We enjoyed a few days last year at Gargrave FC (near Skipton) with the Motor Caravan Section of the C&CC. Others of their sections have meets there as well - you have to be a C&CC member of course :Smile:

Close to canal, bus stops and pub.

3. june123

june123 Read Only Funster

Thanks. We have the same good taste. We tried that last year and it was a useful spot although the towpath was too muddy to use at the time.

4. Detnor

Detnor Funster

Doesn't meet all of your needs but Tudor Caravan Park at Slimbridge is next to the Gloucester - Sharpness canal, and behind the Tudor Arms pub. It is a short level walk to the Slimbridge wildfowl centre.
    The pub is very popular, always wise to book a table for meals.
    http://www.tudorcaravanpark.com

Sorry, no bus that I'm aware of, but the wildfowl park is first class.

5. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

6. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We were there towards the end of May. Glorious sunny weather and no mud to be seen :Smile:

7. paulmold

paulmold Read Only Funster

8. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

The C & CC site at Devizes is right next to the canal, has a good towpath all the distance from site to Devizes Town and also to Bath. Bus stop on main road about 50m from site entrance. Pub, The 3 Magpies, is about 30m from site entrance.

9. ralphman

ralphman Read Only Funster

we have been to basingstoke canal twice and we love it,(no ehu) you can find it via basingstoke visitor centre i think, you can park up right at side of canal if you want, you can hire canoes or rowing boats, but we took blow up canoes and bought a river liscence although i dont think everyone does. you can cycle all the way along the towpath & its beautiful, we did 12 miles in one direction and and next day went 12 miles the other direction, pulling off for a nice pub lunch (dont know where we were ). there is a cafe & the pub is vitually next door on the river front, you can easily walk to shops up the road and i know i saw bus stops but dont know where they go to.

10. smiffy502000

smiffy502000 Funster

try kingsbury waterpark caravan and camping club site,right by canal tow path,miles to cycle along, pub just up the tow path.pluss all the water park and nature park to explore,nice well kept site

11. oldfozzie

oldfozzie Funster

There is a bus at Slimbridge

This is where we moor our narrowbpat when we're not motorhoming; I can fully endorse everything said except there is a bus service, very limited but there is one; this is a link to bus info for your perusal http://www.carlberry.co.uk/rfnlistr.asp?L1=SLI0010&op=D:Smile: