canal, lake or ?? (1 Viewer)

californiadreamer

Free Member
Oct 10, 2008
Funster No
Hi there Funsters... I'm know from previous questions that you've been pretty helpful - so a new query to post... Does anyone know of sites with access to canoeing water? We've just bought an inflatable canoe and are bursting to try it out. We are total canoe novices so flat water with easy access is probably advisable.

We are going to try C&CC at Keswick but would like to have some alternatives. We're in a 27' RV, so accessibility to the site for that is also a factor. And smaller sites or pub sites are preferable.

So, there you have our latest conundrum.. can anyone help?

Until now I always assumed it was possible to canoe on virtually any lake, canal or river. How ignorant I was! I now know, after many hours on t'internet, that England & Wales have the worst river/lake access in the world. We have joined the British Canoe Union which gives canal access, now need to find sites on canals/lakes or flat rivers... any other advice for paddling novices would be appreciated too...

OP
OP
C

californiadreamer

Free Member
Oct 10, 2008
Funster No
Thanks Spiritsfree and Scotjimland... how quick a reply was that..!

Yes, we have, and are, considering Scotland - where the water accessibility is much better but that will have to be for the longer trips - we were hoping to have some weekends and short breaks with our new toy.

I have perused the UK Campsite listings but they don't have a heading for canoes or canals or lakes..

dragabed

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/uk-touring/22565-canal-lake.html#post273469

this may sound like a wind up but its not looked into canoeing in england but most of the water is private and you need to get a license or the owners permission i said england because scotland was different by law.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
There's a campsite at Bala in North Wales that will take your mh and canoe. Cant remeber the name of it, google it.
Jim

gazz

Formerly "gazznhelz"
Mar 16, 2010
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
i also have an inflatable canoe, got it a few years back when i was at lake annecy (actually had one before, but that was a cheap one and poped it over a submerged tre, so got one with removable air chambers and a reinforced bottom)

to be honet i have only used it once in england, actually scotland, parked up on a canal side carpark and went over an aquaduct on it,

abroad there's tons of easy water sie cess and places to camp.

but something i did do abroad when i wasnt able to camp right by the side of a lake or river, was take the canoe in it's bag to the water with my push bike, i did have a trailer for the push bike, but a carrier on the bike might do the job.

then just unpack and inflate the canoe, lock the bike up, and go off for a paddle.

i do keep thinking about joining the canoe camping group with the C&CC, but it seems they mostly do touring by canoe trips, i.e. start off at one place, and end up loads of miles down river, usually taking a few days and camping in a tent.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As an aside to this, I'd strongly recommend taking a look at this forum:

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/forum.php

They are extremely nice people and give a lot of help and advice.

We have inflatable canoes, starting with a large Gumotex Palava, then a couple of Gumotex Juniors, now we've got a couple of Wetline kayaks. We have pretty much given up trying to use them in the UK - we don't have the spare time to get our money's worth out of joining the BCU and were only in it for the first year as we didn't bother after that. We did use the Juniors on the sea and they were great fun in the waves!!!

Really though, we tend to use our kayaks only on holiday abroad, although we are hoping to do a good trip to Scotland later this year (weather permitting).

I assume you've got some safety gear too? A life jacket, IMV, is essential (for any dogs too) - its surprising just how cold lakes and rivers can be even on a warm day and if you go overboard you can easily get disoriented or a case of cramp ... difficult to swim then believe me! We went over in scortching heat on the Ardeche a few years ago and were very thankful for the life jackets as we were soon tired from trying to swim.

Attachments

• Lily.JPG
    Lily.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
C

californiadreamer

Free Member
Oct 10, 2008
Funster No
Thanks once again for the replies everyone. Highwayman, that's a really good website and we'll be sure to download it onto the laptop.

As I stated in my initial posting I have become aware of many of the issues surrounding water access but I don't think we'll give up so easily. We have joined the BCU which gives us the right to paddle on canals and certain rivers. Windermere, Derwentwater and Coniston are free to paddle and there are other inland lakes (manmade) which are available for a cost. All we need to do is find the appropriate campsites, I have already found several which are also Pub sites - so we'll have fun in the summer exploring those (I hope)::bigsmile:

We've also got the necessary buoyancy aids, paddle straps and wet bags. All we need now is the perfect site, some good weather and some nice flat water to practice on.:thumb:

The inflatable weighs less than 20K and will be taken to New Zealand with us on our trip to see the family this winter. Hopefully we will have learned enough about paddling not to disgrace ourselves.:RollEyes:

john and carole

Free Member
May 8, 2008
brierfield lancs
Funster No
MH
american rv
Exp
just started
canal side site.

We stopped on White Bear Marina at Addlington near Chorley,right on canal side,plenty of room for RV as our,s is 30ft.No problem with access and pub round corner plus takeaways as well,and its 16amp hook up.Hope this may be ok regards John and Carole:Smile:

OP
OP
C

californiadreamer

Free Member
Oct 10, 2008
Funster No
Thanks John & Carole... that looks fairly interesting. Especially as we, like you, are lancastrians.. Just up the road from you in fact, near where the witches lived..:Smile:

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
There is a canoeing centre in Llangollen on the river Dee and we ofter see novices being taken to an area on the canal beyond the canal boats. There are 2 campsites but only one is on the banks of the canal.
Lucille

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
This site near Gainsborough is right beside the Chesterfield Canal.

Link Removed

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
As an aside to this, I'd strongly recommend taking a look at this forum:
http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/forum.php

Agreed:thumb: Superb forum and really helpfull people.::bigsmile:

We have inflatable canoes, starting with a large Gumotex Palava, then a couple of Gumotex Juniors, now we've got a couple of Wetline kayaks.

Minx. How do you find the Wetline?
I'd like another infaltable but after a near divorce experience with a Sevylor some years ago, I'm very wary about which one to get! It had the "aquadynamics" of a busted shopping trolley with mind of its own!
Id LOVE an Advanced Elements twin convertable but at 800 sheets plus, there's no way SWMBO will allow it!:Blush:
The Palarva looks a tad too similar to my old Sevylor for comfort so that puts me off.
I'm after a twin, that can also be used solo and the majority of paddles will be canals and close shore lakes.

Cheers.::bigsmile:

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Canoes

One of the best sites in Scotland is caravan club (Maragowan) right on the river then on to Loch Tay Magic as on other posts no restrictions in Scotland

Bill

Mandaxxx

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Wherever we stop.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Zaskar..we have a Sevylor and it behaves a treat, you need a skeg (small rear rudder) to keep it straight and it will respond better.

Anyone want my Sevylor? It will be for sale..sniff sniff..we are selling up & going fulltiming and a canoe is the last thing we need, space and weight thing.:thumb:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Zaskar..we have a Sevylor and it behaves a treat, you need a skeg (small rear rudder) to keep it straight and it will respond better.

Anyone want my Sevylor? It will be for sale..sniff sniff..we are selling up & going fulltiming and a canoe is the last thing we need, space and weight thing.:thumb:

Cheers Manda. I know about the Skegs and believe they do help. unfortunately, my old sevylor was pre- skeg so it was a joy!

Which Sevylor have you got?...........and whats it like at the bow?
The problem with mine was that, although it had a pointed bow, the floor, just below the waterline at the bow was finished just like the end of an airbed, so although it looked pointed, below the waterline where it counts most, it was bulbous and used to "plough" the water rather than cut through it.........that made for dammed hard paddling!:Eeek:

Nov 30, 2008
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt autoroller 700
Exp
on and off 20 years
Hi the camping and caravan club have a site at Devizes in Wlitshire which is next to the Kennet and Avon canal.

essexsj

Free Member
Dec 10, 2009
Rochford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
There's a campsite at Bala in North Wales that will take your mh and canoe. Cant remeber the name of it, google it.
Jim

Is this the site you are referring to? http://www.glanllyn.com/

My partner and I stayed there last summer and it was fantastic, so peaceful and tranquil out on the large lake with our sit-on-top kayaks, we camped in our tent, and this year will be returning at some point in our newly acquired campervanette :thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Is this the site you are referring to? http://www.glanllyn.com/

My partner and I stayed there last summer and it was fantastic, so peaceful and tranquil out on the large lake with our sit-on-top kayaks, we camped in our tent, and this year will be returning at some point in our newly acquired campervanette :thumb:

Thats the one. Its also very close to the Snowdonia National Park which has some spectacular scenery.

Jim
:Smile:

OP
OP
C

californiadreamer

Free Member
Oct 10, 2008
Funster No
Thanks, once again, to everyone for their suggestions.

I was pretty excited by the prospect of Bala Lake until I checked out the tariff.. whilst we are only in a 27' RV, we are still perceived by most people to be a big Yank tank.

The price for an American RV is £22 per night AND (wait for it...) £27 per night for Fri, Sat & Sun and Bank hols... :whatthe:That is daylight robbery!

It seems these places can pretty much charge what they want nowadays doesn't it. Because they can, basically, as the caravan & camping scene is extremely over subscribed.

We'll keep on looking but it looks like lakes are out of the question, either booked up for months in advance or over expensive. Unless we can find the time for a trip to Scotland anyway.:Sad:

Our inflatable is a Sevylor Colorado, it's arrived now and we've got the buoyancy aids and want to go and play, but the fates are conspiring against us it seems. Even the weather forecast is deteriorating with possible snow forecast next week.:shout: It's enough to make a person paranoid!!:Angry:

Anyway... Never say never - we will continue in our search.. Thanks again Funsters.:thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi the camping and caravan club have a site at Devizes in Wlitshire which is next to the Kennet and Avon canal.

Hi, If your talking about the Plough Lane Site I think that you would need extra transport to launch a craft on the Kennet and Avon.

Jim
:Smile:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
for the barcelona olympics the kayaking/canoeing was held at la seu d'urgell , just beside Andorra

facilities they built are still there , you can park yourself in the free municipal parking just near the cathedral

parc olimpic de segre

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back