Canadia Rockies who has been there? (1 Viewer)

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Off to Vancouver in June, renting an Camper to see the Rockies and the National Parks , Icefields ect. Any one been there, will Google Maps suffice, what are the must see sights, and any other tips that I might fine useful
Thanks in anticipation .

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Was in B.C. in 1978 for a month, every sight is a must see sight from memory, Vancouver was an amazing city back then & even better now I gather, Kamloops, Kelowna, Lake Louise in Banff National Park are just a few I can remember.

http://www.britishcolumbia.com/

Enjoy. (y)

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Went to Vancouver,did inland passage cruise to Alaska,then picked up a hired M/H cruised around, dropping theM/H off in Calgary.Train back to Vancouver. So much to see whichever way you go you will enjoy it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
Hells Gate is worth a visit, all the national parks - make sure you get your all parks pass though...
Lake Louise is beautiful, but be aware that it is crammed with Tourists all the time and hellish expensive.

Just down the road from there is the Station Restaurant and heritage railway station - great food at not a lot of money and much memorabilia - you might get lucky and see one of the 2 mile freighters as well.

Sun Peaks resort, Whistler - it's all wonderful. Just enjoy it all.
Stop at Harrison Lake Springs on the way bak to Vancouver...

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Mostly a winter visitor for the fantastic skiing but did make one summer trip and only in a car.

Points;

You don't make as many miles as you may plan, there are just too many nice places to stop over.
If you see History or Heritage Markers by the side of the road, stop and read them. Wonderful snippets of history hiding there.
There are great biking trails.
Banff is a beautiful place, try the hot springs.
I've not visited this one;

http://www.history.alberta.ca/headsmashedin/

But the one that I did was amazing.

https://www.banfflakelouise.com/lake-minnewanka
The early morning light casts a soft glow on the dark water. Across the lake, the mountains stand stark and impressive against the sky. A lone deer is drinking at the shoreline, and you can hear the faint tapping of a woodpecker somewhere in the woods. A shuffling noise behind alerts you to a herd of majestic bighorn sheep watching you inquisitively. Nature is coming alive around you and you’re happy you woke early to experience it. This is what you came to the Rockies for.

Kicking Horse Pass and the Spiral Tunnels;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kicking_Horse_Pass

I spent a few days mountain biking at Fernie;

https://fernie.com/

If it's cold and you fancy some retail therapy Calgary is good!

I've just remembered that there are some good 'guided' walks at Lake Louise.

Last edited:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Wonderful Country, we did New England in the Fall in a RV but took a Thomas Cook tour for the Rocky Mountaineer in 2004 as a retirement pressie to ourselves. After the trip we rented a car in Vancouver and spent a week making our own way back to Calgary stopping off at a few different places en route, Whistler and Sun Peaks included.

Jasper and Banff are must do's and are central for Banff Gondola, Icefields Parkway between the two towns, Fairmont Springs Hotel, Lake Louise, Peyto Lake, Athabasca Falls, Maligne Canyon. Further west, Vancouver with Stanley Park, Grouse Mountain and Victoria Island and the Butchart Gardens.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
We are off to BC again on the 24th May for 5 weeks, our 7th visit, you might guess, we love the area, having family in Port Coquitlam YVR helps, we hired an RV from CanadaDream in Delta a few years ago, a very sorry experience, and expensive, so we just hire a car and use Motels or Hotels nowadays, or B&B's, but they can be very expensive sometimes.
As has been said, the popular places, Banff, Jasper, Vancouver Island etc are very nice, but too crowded for our liking, try and find out of the way places , less crowds, less pricey and often more rewarding as well.
Take your time, and enjoy your trip, and take a good camera as well.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Lake Louise, Whistler and Vancouver Island are great but actually it's all fabulous so just go as the fancy takes you. If you drive along the highways next to some of the large rivers around dawn or dusk you may see some bears crossing the road, as we did, but DON'T get out of your vehicle.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Spent part of our honeymoon there in 74. Dawson Creek the start of the Alaska Highway. We only had a Station Wagon, we got as far as milepost ??? can't remember now, till the Mounties turned us back. There had been a storm in the Mountains, and they said we were not equipped to survive IF bridges were washed away and we were trapped.
SO! we took 6 weeks meandering down thro the country, Banff/Jasper, Alberta, Kamlops, Calgary, Fort something or other, a Glacier along the way, finally Victoria, before Vancover and flying off for a week in Hawihi before going home.
Great place to visit, natives very friendly on the west coast (BC).

On the East Coast, Parlez vous and you are Quids in, spachen the old england only, and they can be a bit "difficult" :gum:

OP
OP
M
Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Thanks all for your replies

Just noticed a new currency card called WESWAP on the money site. Appear to have the best rates around.
Anyone used it yet?

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Been to BC/Alberta in a rented MoHo 3 time and loved it!! :) :) :) lots of campgrounds everywhere!

I don't know how long you are going for But ALL of BC is stunning!! however the most popular parts do get crowded so here is a route I once took visiting a few of the popular places but also several less popular but just as (or even more) interesting as the main ones

Vancouver to Kelowna 240 miles - if that is too far then stop for the night at Othello campgrounds 100 miles from Vancouver & 145 from Kelowna.

Kelowna to Revelstoke 125 miles

Revelstoke to Lake Louise 140 miles

Lake Louise to Jasper via the Icefields 145 miles

Jasper to Blue river 130 miles (one night stop)

Blue river to Kamloops 140 miles - or if you like bypass Blue river and go on to Kamloops ( 270 miles from Jasper)

Kamloops to Whistler 180 miles

Wistler to Vancouver 80 miles

Total trip around 1000 miles and you will see nearly everything BC has to offer

Have a great time!! :) :) :)

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
We did the Rocky Mountaineer trip this year.Started at Vancouver,stayed at Kamloops,Jasper and Banff,flew back from Calgary. It was an out of this world experience on a train,so in a Mo/ho.............. Must be AWESOME. Plenty of advice above. GO! and do have fun.
Tea Bag

Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
I drove from Calgary to Vancouver and the views are amazing.
You will know if there is a bear around as there are loads of cars pulled over at the side of the road with everyone taking photos!
I would love to go back and hire a motorhome.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We saw our first bear on our first walk in Banff. Expected to see more but that was the only one.

Enjoyed Canada, especially the scenery. We backpacked and used Greyhound buses. Bit scary camping in a tiny tent when there are bears around.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back