Can You Tell Me The Best Mobile Phone Coverage For Motorhoming Through Scotland (1 Viewer)

2Aussies

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
GLENBROOK NSW
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2005
I am motorhoming Scotland and the North Country for 12 weeks from the end of July. I am coming from Australia, bringing my own mobile phone. Can funsters please fill me in on the best sim card provider; taking into account data coverage, cost, calls and so on. I will be using my phone as a personal hotspot to allow ipads net access. I also need to consider which service offers the best coverge for Scotland.
:thanks3: Joe

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I'm quite sure one of our natives will be more help Joe, but I had no problems with either my vodafone or my EE, but then I don't go much further than Perth / Pilochry as a Rule.

Have a great trip............. Griff

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I am on Vodafone been right round the top and western isles a few times no problems anywhere, phone and data (y)

A lot of sites will have wifi, there are also quite a few towns offering free wifi as well, although we have only seen this in the Borders region

enjoy your trip

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Im on o2 and in general get connected almost everywhere.
There's an app called ..open signal which gives you the coverage of each of the providers. Have a look.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
In April we spent 12 nights traveling around the coast of North Scotland.
We had a Vodafone data sim, Never onece did we get a 3G signal, and 2G was slow.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We have 3 and O2 for the simple reason we have a better chance of a signal, but, the more remote the less likely. We live in Scotland, so take it as given that outside towns it isn't good. Enjoy Scotland though and don't forget the lovely southwest.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Welcome Joe

Have a look here http://www.which.co.uk/technology/p...ile-phone-networks/mobile-phone-coverage-map/
You can select individual operators and get a overview of their coverage.

Remember to check your Oz mobile is not locked to a specific network (if you have that restriction over there).

In terms of cost it depends on the type of service you'd be after, contract, pay as you go, etc.

I only have a payg sim on 3 network as I don't (not allowed by SWMBO!) to use frequently. A throw back to my working days! 3 seems to be the the cheapest, by a fair amount, for payg.
You can also, I believe, add-on Continental use at same rates for a nominal sum.
Have a look here https://www.three.co.uk/Support/Free_SIM/Order

I also have an EE payg sim as a backup as their coverage is a bitty better.

Not sure on the hotspot \ data side though (others may be able to guide you on that) as I use a 3 network mifi to connect laptop \ tablet \ etc when in motorhome.

Hope this helps and have a great time.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Joe,
We're from Scotland and have a 3 and 02 sims we find both are good but the 3 one just edges it so I would recommend the 3.

As someone else said no matter what some you have there will be places you just won't get signal, this weekend we spent time in Girvan and the Galloway forest and had virtually no signal all day sat and Sunday while in the forest area.

When you get here just pop into a 3 shop and buy a pay as you go sim.
If you need anymore info on Scotland just ask.

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
I've found EE to be very satisfactory. A new thing, if you're on a monthly contract, is wifi calling.

If the phone signal is low and you're connected to wifi you can call at your normal rate using the wifi signal. There are no data charges or additional costs.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
There are not many places where you won't get a weak signal, but even more where you won't get a strong signal !

The further North the more likely you will lose signal. It's sparsely populated and there are a truck load of mountains in the way :eek:

All the networks are much the same once you leave the cities............. just enjoy Scotland regardless (y)

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Why don't you do what we did when we toured for 5 months throughout Austrialia, Forget Mobile Phones and chill out. I suppose life has moved on a little since then, we all love them and feel detached from the outside world without. Enjoy your trip, its a grand place to visit.

OP
OP
2Aussies

2Aussies

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
GLENBROOK NSW
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks one and all...your experiences and subsequent advice are beaut! I like the 'forget the phone' bit, but alas,with three grandkids at home, as well as our intention to 'Britstop' as much as possible with the need to phone ahead... and phone home!
I have been 'reading' you guys for two years and knew that I would find an answer here...you did not disappoint.
Cheers
Joe
:thanks3:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back