LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Having just taken delivery of a new 2011 Autocruise Alto, on a Peugot Boxer chassis, I am surprised to find that when opening the vehicle, with the remote control key fob, there are two loud beeps. Similarly, there is one loud beep when you lock the vehicle. The beeps are in addition to the flashing indicators.

The beeps are fine except for late at night, or early in the morning, on a camp site, when other campers are asleep. I can imagine being very unpopular after a few nights of beeping!

The beeper is also very active when reversing!

I have tried everything to stop the beeping but have been unsuccessful.

Does anyone know of any way the beeper can be muted please?

Many thanks,

Ludo

:Doh:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
There is usually a facility to turn off the beep part of the alarm system, just leaving the indicators to flash.
Check the alarm instruction manual.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
it will be possible to disable the beeps but you will need the immobiliser/alarm/central locking manual to figure out how to re-program it.

if it original factory fit the instructions should be in a section in the handbook.

chances are it may be a Cobra or Toad alarm....these seem favourites with factory fit...so an alarm installer may be able to help.

doubt its any good going to a Peugoet dealer.....if it works they aint interested, if it doesnt they replace it....thats about the limit of their ability/inclination. :Angry:

the reverse bleeper will be a seperate item.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ludo

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
There is usually a facility to turn off the beep part of the alarm system, just leaving the indicators to flash.
Check the alarm instruction manual.

The van was fitted with the total system by Peugot and there is nothing about it in the manual. There are no controls with the alarm, other than the vehicle key fob so I am a little stuck.

Thank you.

OP
OP
ludo

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
it will be possible to disable the beeps but you will need the immobiliser/alarm/central locking manual to figure out how to re-program it.

if it original factory fit the instructions should be in a section in the handbook.

chances are it may be a Cobra or Toad alarm....these seem favourites with factory fit...so an alarm installer may be able to help.

doubt its any good going to a Peugoet dealer.....if it works they aint interested, if it doesnt they replace it....thats about the limit of their ability/inclination. :Angry:

the reverse bleeper will be a seperate item.

It is original factory fit and there is nothing in the handbook. The key fob is, what I believe to be, a standard Peugot one which opens the doors and controls the alarm simultaneously.

I have contacted Peugot customer care and they don't know whether it can be turned off or not. They have promised to come back to me????

I have also contacted no less than 3 dealers and, as you have already guessed, they don't know either. One of them has offered to try while another has offered to try at £90 per hour with no promises!!!

If I can't find a way to stop it I will attempt to find it and soundproof it with some suitable material.

Thank you.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
the reverse beeper may be just under the rear of the van although some stop beeping if you have your lights on.
alternatively it could just have those beeper bulbs in the rear lamps in this case just replace them with normal bulbs.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Having just taken delivery of a new 2011 Autocruise Alto, on a Peugot Boxer chassis, I am surprised to find that when opening the vehicle, with the remote control key fob, there are two loud beeps. Similarly, there is one loud beep when you lock the vehicle. The beeps are in addition to the flashing indicators.

The beeps are fine except for late at night, or early in the morning, on a camp site, when other campers are asleep. I can imagine being very unpopular after a few nights of beeping!

The beeper is also very active when reversing!

I have tried everything to stop the beeping but have been unsuccessful.

Does anyone know of any way the beeper can be muted please?

Many thanks,

Ludo

:Doh:
Mine is the same, you can lock with the key if you dont want to make a noise, but the alarm will not be set, but may be of help to you. Pete :thumb:

OP
OP
ludo

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
the reverse beeper may be just under the rear of the van although some stop beeping if you have your lights on.
alternatively it could just have those beeper bulbs in the rear lamps in this case just replace them with normal bulbs.

Thanks Andy. I will have a look tomorrow. The alarm beeper sounds identical to the reversing one while the reversing sensors ound completely different, perhaps because they only sound inside the van.

Cheers

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It is original factory fit and there is nothing in the handbook. The key fob is, what I believe to be, a standard Peugot one which opens the doors and controls the alarm simultaneously.

I have contacted Peugot customer care and they don't know whether it can be turned off or not. They have promised to come back to me????

I have also contacted no less than 3 dealers and, as you have already guessed, they don't know either. One of them has offered to try while another has offered to try at £90 per hour with no promises!!!

If I can't find a way to stop it I will attempt to find it and soundproof it with some suitable material.

Thank you.
Noooooo!!!!!!!

the bleep is produced by the actual alarm sounder......soundproof that and you have no intruder alarm :Eeek:

I'm almost certain the alarm will be a proprietary one made by a third party...IE: cobra/toad etc...for Peugeot.

the Toyota factory fit alarm on my Hilux pickup was a Cobra.

that was programmed for the bleep using the actual keyfob buttons in a certain sequence within a preset time.
could also be programmed to close any open (electric) windows when arming (if the interface was fitted) or flash the headlamps or indicators

OP
OP
ludo

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Mine is the same, you can lock with the key if you dont want to make a noise, but the alarm will not be set, but may be of help to you. Pete :thumb:

Thanks Pete. At a push I could do that. It's a shame though, that the alarm is then inactive and unprotected, when you leave the van. If we do do out in the evening, I expect we could set the alarm as normal and then enter with the key when we return later at night. I will have to try it tomorrow to make sure that the key will disarm the system when it is left active.

Cheers

Gran & Rog

Free Member
Apr 17, 2011
Lofthouse, Wakefield
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Eight years
our truck does that but I doubt if Rog would turn it off as if anything happened to it would the insurance still be valid

OP
OP
ludo

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Noooooo!!!!!!!

the bleep is produced by the actual alarm sounder......soundproof that and you have no intruder alarm :Eeek:

I'm almost certain the alarm will be a proprietary one made by a third party...IE: cobra/toad etc...for Peugeot.

the Toyota factory fit alarm on my Hilux pickup was a Cobra.

that was programmed for the bleep using the actual keyfob buttons in a certain sequence within a preset time.
could also be programmed to close any open (electric) windows when arming (if the interface was fitted) or flash the headlamps or indicators

Thank you for that John. Never thought that muting it would also silence the alarm. :Doh: I'll have another scotch! It must be my age.

If and when Peugot come back to me I will ask the question about who supplies the system. I will also try to find the location of the alarm. There may be a name on it. If so I can try to contact the maker.

Thanks again John.

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Ours beeps when set/unset. Nobody has complained in 5 years. Just leave it alone.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thank you for that John. Never thought that muting it would also silence the alarm. :Doh: I'll have another scotch! It must be my age.

If and when Peugeot come back to me I will ask the question about who supplies the system. I will also try to find the location of the alarm. There may be a name on it. If so I can try to contact the maker.

Thanks again John.

chances are the sounder will be under the bonnet...not very big, maybe 3 or 4 inch square and generally black.
thay usually have an internal battery backup to prevent silencing them by cutting the wires.
you may have to remove it from its bracket to see the makers label on the back.
always worth a look but it may have been re-labeled by Peugeot.

OP
OP
ludo

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990

Thank you.

It's a pity that you have to leave the van unprotected though. I will see if I can set the alarm tomorrow and then disarm it by using the key. If so, that would be the answer.

Thank you for your help,

Ludo

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
I,m pretty sure, that legally there should be a way of silencing the reverse bleeper between 2300 and 0700, all trucks have a switch, maybe the lights being on will work, or with theadvent of daytme running lights coming, maybe not........I can silence bleeping on my car, through the BCU (body control unit) using a diagnostics tool, I reckon the alarm manuf, or dealer who knows what they are doing, will sort it for you, if not the key bleep, certainly the reverse alarm.

OP
OP
ludo

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
chances are the sounder will be under the bonnet...not very big, maybe 3 or 4 inch square and generally black.
thay usually have an internal battery backup to prevent silencing them by cutting the wires.
you may have to remove it from its bracket to see the makers label on the back.
always worth a look but it may have been re-labeled by Peugeot.

Thank you.

I will have a look tomorrow. I have an inspection camera, (for looking round corners, through small holes, etc) so, if I can find it I might be able to look arouind the back of it.

OP
OP
ludo

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
I,m pretty sure, that legally there should be a way of silencing the reverse bleeper between 2300 and 0700, all trucks have a switch, maybe the lights being on will work, or with theadvent of daytme running lights coming, maybe not........I can silence bleeping on my car, through the BCU (body control unit) using a diagnostics tool, I reckon the alarm manuf, or dealer who knows what they are doing, will sort it for you, if not the key bleep, certainly the reverse alarm.

Thank you for your advice.

I will try the reverse with the lights on and see what happens.

OP
OP
ludo

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Ours beeps when set/unset. Nobody has complained in 5 years. Just leave it alone.

I am one of those "unfortunate considerate people" who cares for the peace of others. I do, therefore, want to turn the noise off when camping among people who may be asleep.

The fact that no-one has complained to you about your van doesn't mean that you have offended no-one.

Thank you for your time and comments anyway.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I am one of those "unfortunate considerate people" who cares for the peace of others. I do, therefore, want to turn the noise off when camping among people who may be asleep.

The fact that no-one has complained to you about your van doesn't mean that you have offended no-one.

Thank you for your time and comments anyway.
i agree....i sleep like a log but if a motorhome next to me was bleeping at 2am i wouldnt be too happy....if it woke me at all.

mine 'chirps' twice on arm and three times on disarm and its loud so i dont set it if i'm going to the pub and wont be back til late.

but i do have two security locks on the hab door and only one cab door with a chain attached.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I would NOT turn off the reverse bleeper, it is fitted as a safety feature to warn unwary or unseen people and animals that the driver cannot see that the vehicle is reversing.

Good safety feature.

Peter

OP
OP
ludo

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
I would NOT turn off the reverse bleeper, it is fitted as a safety feature to warn unwary or unseen people and animals that the driver cannot see that the vehicle is reversing.

Good safety feature.

Peter

Thank you Peter,

I would only want to turn it off when necessary. For instance, when leaving a site early, when everyone else may be asleep. It may well be that with the lights on it will stop the sounder as someone else has kindly suggested. I will try that tomorrow. I have only had the van since 1st Sept, so it is early days yet.

I do of course appreciate the safety aspect but it seems to be "bib and braces", bearing in mind the van has parking sensors fitted so I would be aware if someone or something was there.

Thanks again Peter,

Ludo

Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
reverse bleeper

try engaging reverse twice this works on some fords also as already mentioned switch on side lights
regards june and dave

I would only want to turn it off when necessary. For instance, when leaving a site early, when everyone else may be asleep. It may well be that with the lights on it will stop the sounder as someone else has kindly suggested. I will try that tomorrow. I have only had the van since 1st Sept, so it is early days yet.

I do of course appreciate the safety aspect but it seems to be "bib and braces", bearing in mind the van has parking sensors fitted so I would be aware if someone or something was there.

Thanks again Peter,

Ludo[/QUOTE]

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back