can we afford to fulltime ?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by canalboatjohn, May 31, 2013.

1. canalboatjohn

canalboatjohn Read Only Funster

hello, this is the first time I have used one of these computerthings .apart from looking at things of interest so here we go .at the moment we, thats me and my better half live on a narrow boat full time but if we get another summer like last summer we will be thinking of motorhoming full-time in Europe. Does anybody know of a good site or blog that shows the cost of fulltiming? we dont have loads of that money stuff so it will be aires and wild camping,and no eating out every night. We are thinking of maybe a hymer A Class with fixed rear bed, costing about £25,000.
    We would be interested also to know how much it would cost to run this vehicle? We don't intend to cover thousands of miles in a year.
    How have I done in my first venture into anything other than browsing!!

2. vwalan

vwalan Funster

loads of info on this site if you search .or go to the sister site motorhome 365.
    lots do fulltime . lots long term in m,homes . lengthy discussions have been had . how much ,where etc .
    i say get a truck do your own conversion . cheaper . and a bit more stealth sometimes . fire away any questions . welcome to the fun .

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mel

Mel Funster

Welcome to fun

:welcome:

Join for £10:00 It will be the best tener you could spend.
    There is so mutch help on here its hard to believe.

You are doing ok :thumb:

Mel & Lieve

4. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

I'd say first look at plenty of vans to see if you think you could live in one, layout you prefer, type of kitchen equipment you need ( oven, grill or not? Etc..)

I have a fitted bed and think now it was a mistake. Takes up a lot of space that could be better used, plus my pets can jump onto it. ( as far as I know they can't climb ladders so an over-cab bed would have been better for me)

Storage room. You need lots when you full time as you're carrying winter and summer clothes and footwear, bedding etc..

Go to a large dealer or a show and try out all the vans you can.

And although I wouldn't be able to start with my own conversion, it is an idea worth considering, especially as you can look less conspicuous.

In Europe it is also possible to swap your skills for accommodation. Look at helpx.net and http://www.workaway.info/. Having your own accommodation can be a benefit but you'd get free electric, water and meals in exchange for work.

Good luck, whatever you choose to do.

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

depending on your expected lifestyle and how often you tour etc you can look at around £10000 to £14000 per year.

site fee's, fuel, food, drink, repairs, eating out etc

6. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hello and welcome to motorhome fun, you have chosen the right site for answers to your questions, first of all we get between 24 and 30 miles to the gallon depending on road and driving,.

Most Hymers have very comfortable drop down beds, so why use up valuable space with a fixed bed, Keep asking the questions there are a lot more people out there fulltimeing than you might think. Great way to explore UK and Europe.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gromett

Gromett Funster

It's possible to fulltime from less than £8,000 a year. But realistically £10,000 is a good starting point. From then on it depends what you do and how. You could blow through my annual budget in a week if you wanted to :Wink:

The vehicle really depends on what you want. I am in a self build that cost me £2,300 to buy then I spent about £2,000 to make it liveable and have been upgrading it ever since.

However it is very compact.

• Like Like x 2
  8. canalboatjohn

help !!

help . how do I reply ? my wife jac is sitting at the side of the canal [kennet and avon ] drinking wine and cant be bothered to help me :Angry:

• Like Like x 1
  9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Oh dear....not a good start :Rofl1:

10. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Underneath the post you will see post reply, click on that, a new window will open type your reply there, then scroll down to submit answer , hopefully that should do it. :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi and welcome :thumb:Best to spend a tenner and become a full member then you get to ask as many questions as you like (probbaly the best tenner you will spend:thumb:) Layout is the most important thing as you will already know with the boat so get out there and look at as many vans and layouts as possible - rough idea a van with a luton will return aprox 20 to 24 mpg low profile around 26/30 van conversion 30 to 34 ish -yank rv 8 to 12 mpg:BigGrin:but lots of room :Smile:
    terry

12. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

Fulltiming costs £40,000 a year.

Or it costs £2,000 a year.

Or £100,000 a year.

If you can afford to fulltime in a narrowboat, you can afford to fulltime in a van.

Some people choose to fulltime in a house :Eeek: but it is much cheaper to fulltime in a motorhome.

It costs as much as you choose to spend :Smile:

• Like Like x 7
  13. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

Welcome to the madhouse of Funsters:BigGrin:

You really can find any info you need right here on this site. As already mentioned, spend the ten quid and become a member and the rest will be much easier. Just ask the questions on here and you’ll soon get an answer:thumb:

As to what type of motorhome, you really do need to get out to a show and see all the different varieties that are available out there. Even if you decide to do a self build, a visit to a show is a must, just to give you the ideas and styles you can aim for, what type of kitchen, toilet, shower etc etc etc:Eeek:

Also, now your sussing these computer thingies, go onto Autotrader and eBay and just view what’s available along with the prices and pictures as you'll get a good idea from there, then decide whether you want to go new (not much for £25K new I’m afraid) or second hand, only watch out for scammers, I lost £5800 to a scammer and never got my money back:cry:

The next thing to do is get to a meeting as there’ll be lots of people eager to show you around their homes, give you guidance and advice and then you’ll get to see what’s available and gain experience and knowledge in the process:Smile:

Last option would be to hire one for a while and see if its what you want, like and need and then you’ll go in with your eyes wide open:Eeek:

Whatever you choice, welcome and good luck. Keep us posted as to your progress too:welcomefunster::driving2:

14. canalboatjohn

thank you all .the better half will not let me spend 10 pounds today ,and asking me what I will get for the 10 pounds ,I guess that will be her scottish roots causing me problems again.

15. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

err you just did, if you mean to a specific post in the thread hit quote post.

16. Mel

Mel Funster

Change the wife:Rofl1:

Mel

• Like Like x 2
  17. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

well for £10 you get the chance to see Jim smile. Apart from that you only have 5 posts free I think, you will also have access to the full search engine, admission to rallies cut price on lots of motorhome acessories savings on rally fees, cut price motorhome show fees etc. Access to the chatroom oh and you will make Jim smile did I mention that:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  18. canalboatjohn

thankyou ,now have Ijust replied to YOU or everybody ? will Iever get my head around this computerthing ,it usedto be so simple with a telephone

• Like Like x 2
  19. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

You've posted your reply so we can all see it, therefore if you ask a question you'll get lots of replies.
    Best £10 you'll spend, for the vast experience you'll benefit from and the daft humour.

20. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

You've replied to everyone . If you want to reply to Carol , click on her avatar, that's her name box pic at the left hand side. That way you can PM her . That's personal message.
    You will get the hang of it. Hey , I can type with both hands now. Not just 1 finger :Rofl1: