Can Roller Team do this with their warranty? (1 Viewer)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I was just reading in What Motorhome mag that Roller Team are continuing to give a five year warranty on their vans next year but will be restricting this to the first registered owner only. Can they do this? Surely that would not only be restricting their legal liabilities (what if you sold the van after a few months within the one or two, I'm not really sure what it is year legal minimum?), but would open up a huge can of worms if people bought a nearly new van privately with no warranty or from a dealer who would have to provide something himself in cases where he normally wouldn't. If it's true and Roller Team are doing this it makes their 5 year warranty almost useless unless you keep the van for the full term, thus saving them a great deal of money whilst actually appearing to be very generous. How long before other Trigano Group members go the same way, or other manufacturers follow suit? Or has the magazine got it all wrong?

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
We had a Rollerteam and there was a five year warranty for damp ingress, but the motorhome itself was guaranteed for two years. Maybe it is just the water ingress they are restricting.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
They can do it, there's nothing wrong with it.

Vauxhall do the same with their 100,000 mile/lifetime warranty on the new Astra. It is only valid for the first registered owner.

It's a sales gimmick that is unlikely to ever cost them very much on the basis that people who buy new vehicles don't tend to keep them more than a couple of years and the warranty ends when they sell the vehicle.

On the face of it it looks good but on closer inspection it's actually pretty meaningless.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Perhaps there has been a slip up with the body building and they have used perforated body panels by mistake.
If this is true then their reputation?? will suffer. Then the sales drop.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Sounds like they've got little or no confidence in their products
Potential customers should beware as second hand values could be low if no manufacturers warranty to rely on

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Sounds like they've got little or no confidence in their products
Potential customers should beware as second hand values could be low if no manufacturers warranty to rely on

I can't find any details of the Roller Team one but I think there will probably be a bit more to it than that.

What Vauxhall do is give a standard 3 year/60,000 mile warranty that is transferable and after that the lifetime/100,000 mile part of it kicks in but only if the vehicle is still owned by the original purchaser.

Like I said it's a meaningless sales gimmick.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Swift do a similar thing.
3 year warranty on the fittings and most appliances etc.
6 year water ingress but extended to 10 years for the first owner only.
As usual there are lots of T&C's that could cause it to lapse such as most years there are rules for the service being up to so many days before or after its sale date but the 3rd and 6th services MUST be done before its sale date.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Aren't most Roller Teams initially purchased by hire companies and sold after a year or two ?
Smart move by Trigano and must surely limit future liabilities...
Shrewd business decision imo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back