Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Alan,
If I am arriving at 10.00pm and leaving at 6.00pm I will have my blinds down, my curtains closed and my eyes shut for 90% of the time, who cares what the view is like outside. Also it is easier to get "fresh" bread and milk when you are parked on the doorstep.

Norman

Sorry Norman I forgot that some people live at the far end of the world and also have to work for a living, See when you are retired and only live four hours from a port there is just no need to still be rolling towards ten o'clock at night. Fear not your turn will come well at least the retirement bit will:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
We may be getting there slowly

Canterbury City Council down in Kent not a million miles from the channel port of Dover has what can only be described as a French type Aires.. Ok you pay, but it is designed for motorhomes.. on the New Canterbury Road side.. while the council site mentions height barriers, there are none, and a dedicated motor home facility.. it is in the bus park and ride and the parking charge includes a ticket to town.. good pub across the road... ideal for the Port. If you park in the town it is a lot more.. hence you can understand why people will park or try to in supermarket car parks. As I mentioned earlier, industrial estate are useful for the odd stop over if need be.

But yes the French and the yanks have worked out that motorhomes spend money and move on. It just seems that the Brits regardless of the Act feel motorhomes will not move and end up as a travellers compound. People still picture Dale Farm ..and how many of us have seen groups on the side of the road or taking over a DIY super store car park. It is no wonder that supermarkets do not want over night parking.. just wish they would use there common sense sometimes.

Bob

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Can any one tell me can you stop over night in Tesco & Morrisons Car parks also can you fill your water tank
Water is not a problem you have the choice of still or fiz:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• Tesco water.jpg
    Tesco water.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 5

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It is no wonder that supermarkets do not want over night parking.. just wish they would use there common sense sometimes.

Bob

Is it not the case that they are using their common sense, Bob? Risking fines for allowing the use of a car park as an unlicensed caravan site doesn't seem all that sensible to me :Smile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
back to the good old fines and rules

Is it not the case that they are using their common sense, Bob? Risking fines for allowing the use of a car park as an unlicensed caravan site doesn't seem all that sensible to me :Smile:

It is amazing how we can accept some rules and fines and yet not others... ( see the LEZ post for example).

Bob

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It is amazing how we can accept some rules and fines and yet not others... ( see the LEZ post for example).

Bob
Sorry Bob, not with you. Whilst I lobbied Livingstone to exempt London residents who already owned motorhomes some years ago (as did others) I accept the outcome. Similarly, I accept the provisions of the 1960 Act.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Sorry Graham

Sorry Bob, not with you. Whilst I lobbied Livingstone to exempt London residents who already owned motorhomes some years ago (as did others) I accept the outcome. Similarly, I accept the provisions of the 1960 Act.

Sorry Graham, I was just trying to say (and not very well) that it is law and a lot of notice was given about it coming in and yes a lot of debate and representations were made I am sure. But the start of this run of threads was that some were not aware that further implementations took place a week ago. Then we have those that seem to want to argue the fairness of the issue. .. similar views in a couple of other posts about parking in supermarket car parks. Rules / fines being used to justify the arguments. The same seems to be in this thread in general .. .. .. it is not about the value of someone's motorhome.. it is about what the LEZ has done in cleaning up the air quality. It was not about the fact I own an American 6.8 lt RV.... it is about the LEZ and members on this site not being aware of the changes in the law, which I might add they must be blind to have missed the amount of press on the subject over they years.

I have siad I would be the first to protest if it was me in that position... just I feel some people want the benefits of living in the capital and not the associated costs. I know life is not fair... but who said it was? Old diesel engines are no good to man or beast.

Anyway, I have posted enough on this subject, let others argue for or against it.

All the best

Bob

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Can any one tell me can you stop over night in
Tesco & Morrisons Car parks also can you fill your water tank
Ask the supermarket for a copy of their parking rules, I'm sure they restrict overnighting.

We have two options in Watford both 24hr supermarkets Tesco have a third party with number plate recognition and a 2 hour limit. Asda have installed mechanical devices to enable them to shut off each section of the large car park. Personally I prefer the mechanical option. Whichever one it prevents abuse and overnight parking. I’m sure if people continue to abuse the free parking then all will have similar in the near future. You may well think that you are getting away with it but they are aware of your presence and will do something about it before long. Making it more difficult for the non abusers. A fact of life I’m afraid.
Road humps, height barriers, number plate recognition, speed cams double yellow lines etc etc are all in place to stop abuse of the rules. And who are the first to complain about height barriers....the abusers.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back