Can I really do this?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by mandymops, Feb 3, 2013.

1. mandymops

mandymops Read Only Funster

The engine battery in my teeny camper is as dead as a dodo after the long winter. I called out the AA and although the man had a suitable battery to sell me in his van, he said that he had heard of people using a leisure battery to power campervan engines as they are designed to sit dormant for long periods, and that it may be worth getting one and then calling them back to install it. ( I'm hopeless at this stuff.:Sad:)

Well, what I want to know is,is this possible/advisable, has anyone done it and to what effect? i'd be really grateful for any advice on this. Thanks

2. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Mate! my take on it, and I stand to be corrected by the Intelligensia, is buy a normal Battery for your engine rather than a Leisure. also get yourself a battery charger, there's one going cheap in Aldi (or Lidl),

Make a point of running your motor every 7 to 10 days for at least 15 minutes during your "lay up" ,check your Battery Levels every 2-3 months if it's not a sealed battery.

Don't know your parking situation but try to move your baby, even if it is only 150mm/6 inches this prevents a flat spot forming on your tyres, Don't worry!:Doh: It's not Rocket Science:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

a proper leisure battery isnt really suitable for prolonged engine starting as the batteries internal 'make up' is different.

engine batteries are designed for short bursts of very high current drain, maybe 400amps, whereas leisure are designed for long low current drains, maybe just 10amps

many cheap leisure batteries are usually just engine batteries rebadged as leisure batteries.

get yourself a decent engine battery and a means of keeping it charged when not in use.....either a mains charger at home or a battery to battery charger such as the Vanbitz battery master.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  4. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

sorry to hear you have lost the battery Mandy, I just hope it serves as a reminder to others to keep the van in use during the winter even if it is only a trip to the shops once a month. Even a solar panel won't charge in snow, wheels and clutches need to be kept moving and brakes need to be used to prevent pistons and brake discs from rusting up. Use it or lose it. As to the battery then it has already been said a proper lead acid battery d3esigned for the job.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Roger has said it all:thumb:

Peter

6. mandymops

mandymops Read Only Funster

Thanks everyone

I suspected as much but it's good to have it confirmed.:BigGrin:

7. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

I know the batteries he is on about, which are actually marine dual purpose- but it will not be beneficial to you at all really.