Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
The engine battery in my teeny camper is as dead as a dodo after the long winter. I called out the AA and although the man had a suitable battery to sell me in his van, he said that he had heard of people using a leisure battery to power campervan engines as they are designed to sit dormant for long periods, and that it may be worth getting one and then calling them back to install it. ( I'm hopeless at this stuff.:Sad:)

Well, what I want to know is,is this possible/advisable, has anyone done it and to what effect? i'd be really grateful for any advice on this. Thanks

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Mate! my take on it, and I stand to be corrected by the Intelligensia, is buy a normal Battery for your engine rather than a Leisure. also get yourself a battery charger, there's one going cheap in Aldi (or Lidl),

Make a point of running your motor every 7 to 10 days for at least 15 minutes during your "lay up" ,check your Battery Levels every 2-3 months if it's not a sealed battery.

Don't know your parking situation but try to move your baby, even if it is only 150mm/6 inches this prevents a flat spot forming on your tyres, Don't worry!:Doh: It's not Rocket Science:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
a proper leisure battery isnt really suitable for prolonged engine starting as the batteries internal 'make up' is different.

engine batteries are designed for short bursts of very high current drain, maybe 400amps, whereas leisure are designed for long low current drains, maybe just 10amps

many cheap leisure batteries are usually just engine batteries rebadged as leisure batteries.

get yourself a decent engine battery and a means of keeping it charged when not in use.....either a mains charger at home or a battery to battery charger such as the Vanbitz battery master.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
sorry to hear you have lost the battery Mandy, I just hope it serves as a reminder to others to keep the van in use during the winter even if it is only a trip to the shops once a month. Even a solar panel won't charge in snow, wheels and clutches need to be kept moving and brakes need to be used to prevent pistons and brake discs from rusting up. Use it or lose it. As to the battery then it has already been said a proper lead acid battery d3esigned for the job.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
sorry to hear you have lost the battery Mandy, I just hope it serves as a reminder to others to keep the van in use during the winter even if it is only a trip to the shops once a month. Even a solar panel won't charge in snow, wheels and clutches need to be kept moving and brakes need to be used to prevent pistons and brake discs from rusting up. Use it or lose it. As to the battery then it has already been said a proper lead acid battery d3esigned for the job.

Roger has said it all:thumb:

Peter

OP
OP
mandymops

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks everyone

I suspected as much but it's good to have it confirmed.::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I know the batteries he is on about, which are actually marine dual purpose- but it will not be beneficial to you at all really.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back