Can I make sure I have this gas thing straight? (1 Viewer)

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Hi all, I think i am now understanding the recent threads regarding gas compatibility, but as a newbie, I want to make sure...

I have a regulator fitted to the motorhome and connect to the gas bottle with pigtails. The bottle is propane.

On the continent I have two choices if I need to replace gas - buy a new bottle over there or re-fill my existing bottle. If i have understood the discussion correctly:

1. If i buy a new bottle over there, i might need a different pigtail so I can attach to it.
2. If I try and re-fill over there I might need a converter to attach to the gas bottle so they can re-fill it with their fillers.

both of these seem to be available..?

Just to extend the depth of my ignorance... I have propane now. Am I able to replace that with butane or the LPG they put in cars, if that is more freely available? Are there any issues if the bottle is not completely empty, or do they just mix? Or do I need a different bottle? do they use different filler types depending on if it is propane, butane, or car LPG? I read somewhere that LPG for cars is a mix of propane and butane anyway, so I assume it is OK?

Thanks for any info

David

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
HI DBS you are sort of right..... so I will try and make it clearer---

If you want gas when you run out then you need a french bottle, you will need a French pigtail made up.

If you get a refillable bottle as some use (not gaslow) then you fill it up at an LPG pump.

If you are asking how, either PM andyman or wildman (roger) as they do this all the time, however if you are asking how then probably better to get a gaslow bottle fitted whereby it has a built in protector to prevent over filling, just get one bottle if you want, I have one refillable (large) and a spare calor lite.

However how long are you going for?

In summer we would rarely use half a bottle and we are a family of four.

In winter when we ski, in the freezing cold, we only get through the equivalent of two big bottles in a fortnight.:thumb:

OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Thanks Haganap (and glad to see the dog the right way up again ...)

Well, I cannot see me going away for more than 2-3 weeks as I am still working. I have one propane bottle now, with room for another in the locker. But only having had the MH for a couple of weeks I have no idea how long they last. Maybe it is something I need not worry about - just buy the second bottle and relax

But I hate not knowing - just in case :Eeek:

David

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Dave is your bottle a refillable one with a built in cut off valve ?
Yes you can buy a couple of fitting to use on the continent
yes you fill using garage LPG pumps that have a mix of propane and butane (no probs ):thumb:

Are you getting confused with filling propane bottle using a gas filling adaptor ? if so
GAS ADAPTER
There are no joints, pipes, knuckles valves or floats to go wrong or leak, just a simple well engineered adapter that screws onto your bottle
Use a two bottle system ie 1 full to replace empty 1, just as you did years ago.
Remember to refill only total empty bottles to avoid overfilling.
Refill LPG bottles are only filled to 80% of total volume.
One litre of LPG weights ca. 500 grams.
13 kg bottle at 80% = 26 litres
6 kg bottle @ 80 % = 12 ltrs
3.9 kg bottle @ 80 % = 7.8 ltrs
Calor gas on there web site even say that bottles can be filled up to 87 % so this will allow for any difference in temperatures!!!!
Fasten the bottle in the van
Fit adapter
Open valve
Fit filling gun turning 90 degrees C,Wise and lock on/cock
Dispense required amount of gas (see above)
Close valve
Uncock turn 90 degrees anti CW,Disengage filling gun
Replace gun into holder and pay for fuel
Remove adapter and store for next use
If you cannot follow these simple instructions then do not buy a filling adapter and carry on paying through the nose for refill bottles!!!
If you can understand and follow the above then buy an adapter and start saving money
terry

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Thanks Haganap (and glad to see the dog the right way up again ...)

Well, I cannot see me going away for more than 2-3 weeks as I am still working. I have one propane bottle now, with room for another in the locker. But only having had the MH for a couple of weeks I have no idea how long they last. Maybe it is something I need not worry about - just buy the second bottle and relax

But I hate not knowing - just in case :Eeek:

David

the best option for convineince is without a doubt having a gaslow system. not cheap but one you have it its yours. You then never have to worry and whats more you can actually save money and over a LONG time get your money back. Before if you had half a bottle and you were going away you would go and get a full bottle wasting the half thats left. With Gaslow you simply fill it up at the lpg pump and jobs done. I have put as little at 80p in mine before:Blush:

OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Hi Dave is your bottle a refillable one with a built in cut off valve ?

How do I tell. just had a look and it is a big red steel bottle with a "head" on it that has a knob to turn gas on and off, and an outlet connected to my pigtail. On the bottle it states a weight of 8.3 kg, and that is contains 6kg of propane - does that help?

As I am totally new (never caravanned or had gas or anything), I have assumed it is re-fillable, but maybe it is one you just swap for new?

David

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
How do I tell. just had a look and it is a big red steel bottle with a "head" on it that has a knob to turn gas on and off, and an outlet connected to my pigtail. On the bottle it states a weight of 8.3 kg, and that is contains 6kg of propane - does that help?

As I am totally new (never caravanned or had gas or anything), I have assumed it is re-fillable, but maybe it is one you just swap for new?

David

Hi David it sounds like you have a refillable bottle, but would need a pic ? to confirm ?
terry

OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
should be attached....:RollEyes:

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 54

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi it looks like a mth refillable bottle (not sure on make ) but a easy way to check if fill / cut off float is working is let the bottle empty completely then fill it :thumb: It should stop at or around, before 12 ltrs
terry

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
DB silverfox , you head must be swimming if you have just started !

but there is a thread that covers all this

Link Removed

have a read and you will see that it is really easy now

your regulator is for butane/propane / or lpg

FOR THE MOMENT KEEP IT SIMPLE...just do 2 things before you go off to france

check that your locker will take an extra bottle of slightly bigger diameter [ 303mm]

go to a caravan/ motorhome or parts dealer near you and buy a pigtail for a calor 4.5Kg dumpy butane bottle to take with you ; this is the normal european fitment , you can get this pigtail at any caravan dealer in france but they can be few and far between

then if you get low in france , go to your nearest intermarche [ 1000 + in france ] and get an energas bottle , change pigtail , connect , and away you go ; personally I would get one anyway , the gas is half the uk price ! for the moment the bottle is on offer at €1 instead of the normal €5 ; availability list here

Link Removed

when you are back home you can look at getting change over adaptors like everyone uses so that you can keep 2 bottles connected

ps check you have a spanner for unscrewing the pigtail at the regulator end

can you get in that 303mm bottle ?

and doesn't your existing bottle say calor on it ? just a standard bottle that you exchange [ in the uk ] when it is empty?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
David,

I can't remember the year of your Autoquest 100 but if it is like ours (2003/4 model) then the gas locker is the size to take two 6 Kg Calor (or equivalent) cylinders. When we first got our van I found that I could only attach the rubber pipe (from the regulator) to a cylinder in one of the two positions (can't remember if it was rear or fore now) because I could only get the gas spanner in one way. That meant taking both out and swapping them round when one ran out.

Because the regulator is mounted below the top of the cylinder (yours look similar in your photo) I decided to purchase a stainless steel pipe to replace the rubber one before any potential problems occurred. That has the added advantage of having a hand wheel at the end which attaches to the cylinder and means swapping from empty to full bottle is much easier.

We've looked at having Gaslow fitted but the cost is too high - it would take a heck of a lot of Calor replacements to make up the money.

I've also considered refilling the Calor bottles but rejected that because of potential problems. I know many people have done it successfully for years without any problems but, logically, that means only that no problems have occurred so far and not that there won't be a problem next time and I prefer not to take the chance :Smile: hardhat

Graham

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
David,

I can't remember the year of your Autoquest 100 but if it is like ours (2003/4 model) then the gas locker is the size to take two 6 Kg Calor (or equivalent) cylinders. When we first got our van I found that I could only attach the rubber pipe (from the regulator) to a cylinder in one of the two positions (can't remember if it was rear or fore now) because I could only get the gas spanner in one way. That meant taking both out and swapping them round when one ran out.

Because the regulator is mounted below the top of the cylinder (yours look similar in your photo) I decided to purchase a stainless steel pipe to replace the rubber one before any potential problems occurred. That has the added advantage of having a hand wheel at the end which attaches to the cylinder and means swapping from empty to full bottle is much easier.

We've looked at having Gaslow fitted but the cost is too high - it would take a heck of a lot of Calor replacements to make up the money.

I've also considered refilling the Calor bottles but rejected that because of potential problems. I know many people have done it successfully for years without any problems but, logically, that means only that no problems have occurred so far and not that there won't be a problem next time and I prefer not to take the chance :Smile: hardhat

Graham

although Graham is correct in terms of cost of Gaslow and returning money, the one thing that can not be beaten is the simplicity and the convenience of the system that needs to be considered. If money is not an issue, I promise you it will be the best few hundred pounds you ever spent.:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
although Graham is correct in terms of cost of Gaslow and returning money, the one thing that can not be beaten is the simplicity and the convenience of the system that needs to be considered. If money is not an issue, I promise you it will be the best few hundred pounds you ever spent.:thumb:

I totally agree Paul - but I'd rather have the few hundred quid. Unless the lottery comes up tonight that is ::bigsmile:

Graham

OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
sorry guys - domestic life got in the way of real life for a while.

The cylinder says "Macgas" on it. Graham, mine is 2005, but the locker will take 2 cylinders, and currently the pigtail I have fitted has a knob on it to attach, so I am not needing a spanner to attach to the cylinder.

Reading all your great advice - and I really do appreciate it (my head is not swimming, it feels like it is going down for the third time! ) . The options seem to be:

1. Fit a Gaslow and fill point, which should mean i can top up with LPG anywhere and the cost looks to be around 200 quid

2. Get a French pigtail and either buy a dumpy butane now or wait till in France and get one as needed (provided the dumpy fits the locker)

3. Get an LPG filling adaptor so that I can do the same as the Gaslow option but using the existing bottle, the difference being cost, and the fact that doing it this way I need to be aware of fill levels instead of the Gaslow system controlling it.

Is that about it?

All the best

David

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The cylinder says "Macgas" on it. Graham, mine is 2005, but the locker will take 2 cylinders, and currently the pigtail I have fitted has a knob on it to attach, so I am not needing a spanner to attach to the cylinder.

Same arrangement as ours then David :Smile: I should have looked closer at your photo - I can see the hand wheel now when I look properly - similar to ours :Smile:

I think your 1, 2, 3 are about the long and short of it.

Graham

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
I agree with Haganap Ref Simpicity of Gaslow. Its also good to be aware that some garages wont allow filling of Gas Cylinders.

Ants&Debs

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
My head was swimming with all the details about French bottles/adaptors/Gaslow etc-so I thought it through,and came up with this solution :) my gas locker will hold 2x13 kg containers-that's a lot of space that I could really use.So,if I put a fixed tank underneath,I'd have the convenience of LPG and extra storage space ::bigsmile:
I had a 40ltr tank fitted before Carmarthen meet,used it all that weekend (heating on most morns and eves) and have just come back from 5 weeks in France.We use a lot of gas !! Carolyn cooks as if we were at home-her hobby is cooking and she loves buying ingredients in markets abroad-we heat water for showers and washing up etc and fridge is on 'gas' more than it is on electric.
I filled gas tank on last day in France-it took 20ltrs (10kg)-I'm well pleased-for me the ease and convenience outweigh the intial cost.

Mike

OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
I think your 1, 2, 3 are about the long and short of it.

Graham

Thanks Graham - I am convinced everything is simple, it is only a matter of cutting through the fog a bit :Smile:

"I agree with Haganap Ref Simpicity of Gaslow. Its also good to be aware that some garages wont allow filling of Gas Cylinders." - Not worked out how to insert multiple quotes yet.. :Doh:

I am leaning towards the Gaslow solution on the basis of refill cost once the initial cost is paid, and will investigate further when i go back to Fullers to get my reversing sensors checked under warranty..

Thanks everyone - and i hope the thread has helped others as well

David

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
don't even consider buying a calor butane , expensive and useless outside the uk like your existing bottle

refilling with lpg is only cheaper in the uk because of the rip off uk prices , energas in france is about the same price as lpg , and spanish gas is cheaper than lpg from the pump ; so unless you are going to spend all your time in the uk you won't get your money back ; and of course in places like spain lpg can be hard to find !

what you call a french pigtail is the one used in most of europe , it isn't just french

don't even think of refilling standard bottles until you know more about it

in the meantime , €1 + the price of a pigtail is enough ...measure that gas locker !

btw , I think macgas/handygas is actually a BP brand ...they have a website

OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
OK...
Well I need a second bottle or I am stuffed when i run out regardless. so the question becomes:

1. don't get a second bottle in the UK, but get a continental pigtail and buy a bottle in France.

2. do the Gaslow walk and work on the basis that if i go to Spain I am not going to stay long enough to run out, so i have one consistent system

As a stupid question - would it also work to do Gaslow and keep my propane and existing pigtail as a back up in case of emergencies? Not sure if fitting Gaslow disables that option...

Every time it seems I am reaching the surface, someone splats me over the head with a new stick! :ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
personaly i would look on ebay for gas bottle filler try ebay26041819885. get a similar bottle to what you have .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
that will do the job. just get 2 uk propane bottles that fit your locker . fill both off ou go . if in france one gets empty fill it at a garage. fasten the bottles down .straps are available. easy peasy lemon squeasy.

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
well I use that system ,so does alan , but some places will let you use it and some won't

better to begin with a low cost system, ie buy the pigtail for the dumpy and that works all over , energas bottle at €1[ €5?]

dutch
belgian
french
german
spanish [with an adaptor available at gas agents ]

are the same thread

if you look at the previous thread you will see the adaptor to your pigtail which fits all the spanish gas bottles ; for your size in spain just go to a repsol filling station , they mostly sell their 6Kg bottles , leave a deposit of €20 [ keep the receipt ] return empty to a repsol station that sells gas when you leave ; the adaptor will be available from the local repsol gas agent

but 3 weeks ? your uk bottle + french bottle should do the trick

better to leave any real expenditure until you find your use pattern , how long you travel for , where you go ; if you stay in the uk all the time a single gaslow type or the adaptor shown might be the answer for you ; wait and see !

OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
I have spoken to the Gaslow people and to my local dealer as well, and my plan now is...

buy a second propane 6kg. In addition buy a gaslow stainless steel hose 21.8, which has a standard female butane end on it, together with an adaptor for Camping Gas. Can you just confirm this is the right adaptor for the cheap french cylinders? Then swap hoses if required.

Depending on usage and convenience I might (only might) then consider fitting the 21.8 as the standard permanent hose, and buying the propane adaptor so I never need to change the pigtail, only the adaptor. I have plenty of room behind the driver seat to store an empty propane if i need to.

Thanks for all the help and advice I have had on this subject, which really has confused the hell out of me! - I mean the subject confused me, not the advice :thumb:

As has been said before - best 12 quid I spent!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back