Can I increase my mobile signal (1 Viewer)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We're going to be living in the van for the next few months assuming our house sale goes through in the next few days and I use the BB Bold as a tether on the laptop for internet access. The problem is where we're parked my BB Bold signal is quite weak and not quite strong enough to give useable internet.

So the question is, is there some sort of antenna I can use even if fixed on the roof of van that will increase my signal strength. Preferably I would like to hear from someone who actually uses one because having had a quick look on the net it seems that most for sale especially Apps are just gimmicks and a total waste of money.

Thanks in advance:thumb:

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
I was chatting to a guy at the Newark show who had one fitted to his van for exactly the same reason as you state.

He gave me this link http://www.gsmbooster.co.uk/

I think the snake oil special stick on foil stuff is probably rubbish, but these sorts of devices look the right sort of equipment. Used on boats and in tunnels.

Busterbulldog

Free Member
Mar 18, 2012
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Riviera 1000
Exp
Virgin motorhomer
Id try a phone on a different network,just because yrs isnt great doesnt mean they all will be.Or possibly a different phone as some pick up stronger signals. For mobile internet access i use a htc on three,you can run several pc @ the same time through the portable wifi hotspot built into the phones ,I travel round a lot,with pc live and its v rare i have any issues with signal.Download speeds are good too

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
As I said - repeaters are illegal to use in the UK, but not to sell!:
http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/enforcement/spectrum-enforcement/jammers/

"Repeater devices transmit or re-transmit in the cellular frequency bands. Only the mobile network operators are licensed to use equipment that transmits in these bands. Installation or use of repeater devices by anyone without a licence is a criminal offence under Section 8 of the WT Act 2006. Any person found guilty of installing or using such devices without a licence would be liable on conviction to a fine of up to £5000 and/or up to 51 weeks’ imprisonment (Six months in Scotland and Northern Ireland)".​

I do like the fact that it is still the Wireless Telegraphy Act ... :Smile:

Cheers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I have a Repeatit box, it can pick up a fair bit of wifi traffic,but, the number that are 'open' are getting smaller and smaller.. I have had limited success in France, at my current location I can see 16 wifi beacons, with the Repeatit box will pull in over 60.

I have looked at some Linux packages such as airsnort etc, but they are for the geeks and to be honest I am not techie enough to be able to use all the functions and I am not going to bother learning it.

Hope that helps

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Thanks Catherine.
Yep - the rocket I mention works very well for wifi, but not mobile phone signals.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back