Can I fit a Dash Cam Upside Down? (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi All,

I wish to fit a Dash Cam into the 'van, but, because we have concertina blinds on the front windscreen, there is precious little room between it and the screen. That, and the fact that I don't want to hard wire it in or place it on the top of the screen.

It occurred that I could fit one on the 'clipboard' in the middle of the dashboard (I've sussed out how to do this) but it would mean the rubber sucker would be on the bottom with the dash cam on top.

I'm assuming that that would mean that the image would be upside down. Can that image be turned through 180 degs. by from some settings within the dash cam or what?

All info. gratefully received.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Can I fit a Dash Cam Upside Down?

Dunno. Do you have room for a trapeze in your cab?

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi Keith,
Thanks for that.
However, I don't want to buy the camera and then find out that it doesn't do the business (in turning upside down.).

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Surely it's not an issue? I'd think that the top of the image/video it receives is still going to be the top of the image/video it shows (ie in the cab, you just see what's in front of you as normal)? And any computer can rotate any image/video as necessary for later viewing?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Have a look at the ones that fasten over the rear view mirror. That way you can close the concertina blinds with no problem. I decided to get my power cable installed professionally. In my opinion it was well worth it.

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
This is mine dangling upside down -

Mobius Bracket A.jpg

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Hi All,

I wish to fit a Dash Cam into the 'van, but, because we have concertina blinds on the front windscreen, there is precious little room between it and the screen. That, and the fact that I don't want to hard wire it in or place it on the top of the screen.

It occurred that I could fit one on the 'clipboard' in the middle of the dashboard (I've sussed out how to do this) but it would mean the rubber sucker would be on the bottom with the dash cam on top.

I'm assuming that that would mean that the image would be upside down. Can that image be turned through 180 degs. by from some settings within the dash cam or what?

We just take the camera off when we close the blinds, don't normally drive with the blinds closed:love:.. refitting takes 20 secs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
This is mine dangling upside down -

View attachment 161649

Like your fitting Keith as we have a rear view mirror which is a chocolate T Pot. Would like to get rid of it but haven't seen anything which would change the 'male ball at the end of the mirror into a female to accept the Dash cam. Can you give us any pointers.
Regards

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Like your fitting Keith as we have a rear view mirror which is a chocolate T Pot. Would like to get rid of it but haven't seen anything which would change the 'male' ball at the end of the mirror into a female to accept the Dash cam. Can you give us any pointers.
Regards

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Like your fitting Keith as we have a rear view mirror which is a chocolate T Pot. Would like to get rid of it but haven't seen anything which would change the 'male ball at the end of the mirror into a female to accept the Dash cam. Can you give us any pointers.
Regards

PS where are the electrics?

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
My next base 402 can have the view changed to allow mounting under or over the bracket.
I have it hanging in the car and have a separate bracket on the Moho dash and change the settings as required

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
What you do is go to that bloke you know who's got a shed full of 'bits and pieces' from taking apart and repairing 'stuff' for a number of years and ask him if he's got anything resembling my 'bits and pieces' to mount a camera - that's if you haven't got a shed full of the 'stuff' already.

The electrics are a retractable plug into the cigarette lighter socket, it's a Fiat Ducato cab, and a thin cable into the back of the camera - after a few miles driving you'll not notice the cable and it isn't in the way of obstructing anything.

Connector Mobile.jpg

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
If have next base 402g
It's on the windscreen in my car hanging down
And when I transfer to MH it sits on the dash board ie upside down
The camera auto flips 180 to show image the right way up

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
My cheap camera has been used upside down for a couple of years, and whilst the view on the computer screen is mildly entertaining, I'm sure that if I ever wanted to USE the footage, then I would print off the relevant frames and they are easy to invert! ;)

However, my new camera has an invert image function, but it will not rotate it through 90deg, which would have allowed for much easier mounting. So we make do as necessary.

I have used both cameras on rubber suckers attached to the dashboard but I now have a bracket fastened to the "roof" and the camera is attached to that with elastic bands, thus making it easy to remove and fasten in the car. However, I've just ordered a second GPS module, which can be glued to the windscreen and the camera fastens into it. One in the car, one in the van: job done. (y)

Gordon

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
We just take the camera off when we close the blinds, don't normally drive with the blinds closed:love:.. refitting takes 20 secs.
Wish this thread had come up earlier. Explains why my driving style has changed:)

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Hi All,

YES, You can(y) just fitted the mount for our transcend, upside down on dashboard tablet holder thingy...................but left the cam in the beemer:confused: so will sort pics when i manage to get both together:rolleyes:

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Why don"t you do like most people do and take the dash cam off the window at night when you pull up the blind?

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011

Stand on your head to view playback? Turn monitor upside down? Video the images and hold the video camera upside down so that they will be the right way up when viewing.:)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Result!. £5 Fiat Mirror Bracket (virtually any late model Fiat uses the same bracket) from the scrap yard. Drilled and tapped M6 through the Ball that is there when the Mirror head is pulled off. Bolted up using redundant "Sucker" parts.
Now fully adjustable, correct image and the blinds draw and fasten without removing the camera!.

IMG_5309.JPG

Cable runs above the Blind rails and down behind the Door seal under the dash to the Socket. (about 1,5M usb cable needed).

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My camera in the mh has a standard tripod screw mount and is mounted on a neat ball and socket mount fixed to the bottom of the drop down bed so it isn't affected by the blinds.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I have had three different types, and they all worked upside down. I like the cylindrical type that can be rotated to any angle. They are much more discrete and you don't have to have brackets and wires dangling. We had to mount ours at dash level as we have a rear view camera which uses the only gap in the blinds (no good removing it at night as wiring it in not practical (can't be doing with wires dangling!)

Wyn

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Most video players have options to rotate, flip, mirror the content they are playing - so as long as your dashcam outputs a recognised video format [ie not restricted to playback via it's own proprietary software], you shouldn't have an issue inverting an upside down recording*

*with the proviso that any embedded text will then be upside down, or back to front.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back