Can i clean out the fresh water tank? (1 Viewer)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
why pay 29p just fill up with water.empty ,fill again.
it may be interesting to have a word with your local water company they do proper visits to water works . you all may find it very interesting. you can ask them lots of questions then.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
why pay 29p just fill up with water.empty ,fill again.
it may be interesting to have a word with your local water company they do proper visits to water works . you all may find it very interesting. you can ask them lots of questions then.

what if you are full time, parked in Spain or Moroc ?

as an aside.. I have worked in water treatment and desalination plants both ashore and offshore so no need to visit :winky:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i can say other than filling with clean water in 11 yrs have never put any cleaners in my water tanks . if i have put iffy water in i drain it and just fill with clean .be it here spain or maroc. they all use chlorination . i do use loads of fonts etc . cant say as ever having a problem.
do have a filter but really never used it unless i have put dodgey water in . think too many worry too much.
black plastic tank keeps water fresh for ages . the army use black plastic jerry cans there is the lack of light +i,m told there is a differance in the plastic its not just the colour that keeps water fresh. anyway we need a few bugs to build a protection in our bodies .i hope. ha ha
bet most only ever put house tap water in their tanks so why would it be a problem.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
i can say other than filling with clean water in 11 yrs have never put any cleaners in my water tanks . if i have put iffy water in i drain it and just fill with clean .be it here spain or maroc. they all use chlorination . i do use loads of fonts etc . cant say as ever having a problem.
do have a filter but really never used it unless i have put dodgey water in . think too many worry too much.
black plastic tank keeps water fresh for ages . the army use black plastic jerry cans there is the lack of light +i,m told there is a differance in the plastic its not just the colour that keeps water fresh. anyway we need a few bugs to build a protection in our bodies .i hope. ha ha
bet most only ever put house tap water in their tanks so why would it be a problem.

fair enough Alan .. lets hope you keep germ free..

but have you ever seen what some people do at 'fresh' water taps on sites or aires :Eeek:

washing cassettes out, shampooing the dog, cleaning dishes etc .. makes me very angry that there such selfish people who should know better .,

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
jim ,come on other than the shabbles of a few maroc campsites i possibly havent been on 5 in the rest of europe for 15 years possibly longer.i look at them and turn away. but always wipe the taps with a bit of bleach on a cloth.
as for washing out cassettes dont think i have ever washed mine out . again i was told always leave some in you need the natural bacteria . far better than blue /green. that stuff should all be banned . have had to empty complete works because that stuff kills the natural bacteria. i know campsites around here that it costs them a fortune in busy times because of the chemicals killing their sewage works. but many dont listen. its green it must be good.

OP
OP
J
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Phew!
After so many answers on this, one way or another, i think because we have small kids with us , i will fill up and empty out then fill again with u/k tap water.
There seems to be enough chemicals in tap water to keep it clean, i never have cleaned out the plasic tank in my house attic, so i will just swill it out.

I have a guts like iorn but it won`t be fair on little ones to bleach their insides out!
thanks
joner

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Phew!
After so many answers on this, one way or another, i think because we have small kids with us , i will fill up and empty out then fill again with u/k tap water.
There seems to be enough chemicals in tap water to keep it clean, i never have cleaned out the plasic tank in my house attic, so i will just swill it out.

I have a guts like iorn but it won`t be fair on little ones to bleach their insides out!
thanks
joner

Your plastic tank in the loft tops up your hot water tank :winky:Thats why you should only fill kettle etc from cold tap
terry

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Phew!

thanks
joner

Good choice if you ask me.

Paul.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, if you are going to go abit wild in your m,home i advise a water filter. many use the nature pure . i use a british berkefeld by doulton. it uses there ultra carb filter. i got mine from brownchurch landrovers in london. there is quite alot of info about them on google . i dont use it all the time ,drink from the tank .but if you are having a bad stomach or someone is a bit delicate it could be worth thinking about a filter . the berkefeld is cleanable and lasts for 2,244 ltrs so can last along time.
have seen really dirty water go through them and come out clean . worth it perhaps with kids . have fun . we try to.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Last word.. I promise..

The OP asked about cleaning his fresh water tank .. and has decided that there is enough chlorine in tap water to keep it fresh ..

Fair comment and maybe correct .... However.. the question should have been ' how to I clean or sanitise my water system both hot and cold '

Shower heads are a prime breading ground for some very nasty bugs .. (legionaries disease can kill) .. so you may be drinking fresh water but have bugs lurking in the shower head and also taps.. one of the reasons I don't like using public / camp site showers.

I was employed for several years as a factory maintenance manager also in charge of health and safety .. so I do know what I'm saying .. and each year we had to spend several hundred pounds sanitising the water systems, just letting the town water run thorough would have saved our company a lot of money ... but that is the law.. and it is there for a good reason.

Doing a proper sanitization will clean the tank, pump, pipework, water heater, filter (if fitted) and all end user points

This is not meant to frighten, I don't know of anyone who has died from a motorhome related water problem.. but how many have suffered an upset tummy from drinking contaminated water, resulting in a spoilt holiday.

Forewarned you can either heed and take the simple step of cleaning the system.. or ignore.. your choice.. and whether you decide to use a simple cheap product or a proprietary one makes no odds.. but doing nothing is IMO foolhardy .. but if you decide to do nothing at least sanitise the shower head by soaking in diluted bleach..

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Phew!

thanks
joner

Milton is a weak bleach solution. Used for sterilizing babies bottles , so i doubt your little ones will come to any harm. Weve used it in our previous caravans / motorhome since our kids were little. The eldest age 17 is 6 foot 3 now. So not so little:winky:
I'd think you'd risk more harm to them by not doing it every now and then. Especially if you have bought a second hand MH . You dont know how particular the previous owners were. IMO.
Plus as said before , the water taps where you fill up and hoses are minging with germs. I too have seen dogs being washed , poo got off boots , hoses dropped onto floor whilst owners own hoses fixed on , toilet cassettes rinsed etc etc :Eeek:
Bev

Reaynger

Free Member
Aug 1, 2011
Caithness
Funster No
MH
Peugeot coachbuilt.
Exp
I'm a newbie
Isn't it called sodium hypochlorite rather than sodium hydrochloride? I don't mean to be a pedant but you'd be miffed if you went to the chemist and got the wrong stuff. :Smile: Wiki says 4000:1 is ample to kill any bugs in water systems.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi. all i can say is do you clean the things at home . or do you rely on the water board doing it for you.you may be quite right . i only talked to the scientists at south west water because i was interested in the cleaning of water. asked what filter i had for drinking i was told good choice . they explained about silver inlay and why cowboys put silver dollars in drinking flasks . its also connected to throwing silver coins into wishing wells. it gives naturally clean water. i can say it helps to dismantle and clean shower heads as they do block up and restrict flow . and yes possibly its a risk. lets hope none of us get ill. i see nothing wrong in adding a small amount of bleach and washing it through . but just passed on what i was told. certainly never think twice at home . if it worries you then you must do something . i certainly wouldnt want anyone getting ill.
but seriously if any of you are worried try and get a visit to a water plant its a good experiance . these are the folk that do it for a living . ask them lots . i do.
i drove tankers for sww moving fresh and sewage waste. we did wash them out ha ha . i moved alum sludge from fresh plants . not water. found it all very interesting.

OP
OP
J
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Cleaning the shower head , left it dunked in a bleach solution, swill through later!
Throw a silver coin in the tank? All of our currency now is stamped out of recycled metal !--- I spose i could always think every time i flush the porta loo - just spent another penny?
joner

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Last word.. I promise..

The OP asked about cleaning his fresh water tank .. and has decided that there is enough chlorine in tap water to keep it fresh ..

Fair comment and maybe correct .... However.. the question should have been ' how to I clean or sanitise my water system both hot and cold '

Shower heads are a prime breading ground for some very nasty bugs .. (legionaries disease can kill) .. so you may be drinking fresh water but have bugs lurking in the shower head and also taps.. one of the reasons I don't like using public / camp site showers.

I was employed for several years as a factory maintenance manager also in charge of health and safety .. so I do know what I'm saying .. and each year we had to spend several hundred pounds sanitising the water systems, just letting the town water run thorough would have saved our company a lot of money ... but that is the law.. and it is there for a good reason.

Doing a proper sanitization will clean the tank, pump, pipework, water heater, filter (if fitted) and all end user points

This is not meant to frighten, I don't know of anyone who has died from a motorhome related water problem.. but how many have suffered an upset tummy from drinking contaminated water, resulting in a spoilt holiday.

Forewarned you can either heed and take the simple step of cleaning the system.. or ignore.. your choice.. and whether you decide to use a simple cheap product or a proprietary one makes no odds.. but doing nothing is IMO foolhardy .. but if you decide to do nothing at least sanitise the shower head by soaking in diluted bleach..

We have quite a few on here that become temp,wardens so perhaps they can confirm what I was told about 4 yrs ago-whilst on a spotless site in Cornwall. I was talking to the owner who was cleaning the shower block and he told me they were required by law to remove and soak all shower heads at least every 6 weeks-he did his on 1 st of every month.I had no reason to question or doubt what he said but it is the only time I have seen any cleaners etc soak the shower heads but that could be that most shut the toilet block for cleaning ::bigsmile:Perhaps someone could confirm?
terry

andley

Banned
Dec 27, 2011
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Static
Exp
Campsite owner
organic

For an organic option, without harmfull chemicals we put fresh lemons, smells nice to x

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back