Can I avoid having to get a GoBox? (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
In September we will visit Austria for about four days. Our van is over 3.5t but we intend to avoid the use of motorways and toll roads, do we still need a GoBox?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We went to Austria recently and didn't need a vignette or gobox (we're officially 4250kg) - unless you go on the motorways or some of the major roadways (can't remember which ones) you shouldn't need one.

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
I didn't get one when I had double axle Burstner about three years ago. We just stayed off the Autobahns.

J

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 2, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
No you don't need one. I assume you know about the daily charge when in Switzerland, since you are over 3.5 tonnes.

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
No you don't need one. I assume you know about the daily charge when in Switzerland, since you are over 3.5 tonnes.
I didn't @rickwiggans and by pure accident last year we drifted through a part of Switzerland. I guess we were in and out before they noticed. On this trip we are going to Austria for a few days with no plans to enter Switzerland, but you never know. Just in case, how do you pay the charge?
My three Sat Nags (Snooper, Blaupunkt, and SWMBO) are normally pretty good but have been known to lose the plot on some occasions. :LOL:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You will be fine if you stay off the motorways.

You do need to be careful with border crossings though. At some of them if you just carry on you will be on a toll motorway immediately you cross the border and even if it's only for a few hundred metres you will still get fined. There are non-toll alternatives at most of them but they aren't always obvious.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I didn't @rickwiggans and by pure accident last year we drifted through a part of Switzerland. I guess we were in and out before they noticed. On this trip we are going to Austria for a few days with no plans to enter Switzerland, but you never know. Just in case, how do you pay the charge?
My three Sat Nags (Snooper, Blaupunkt, and SWMBO) are normally pretty good but have been known to lose the plot on some occasions. :LOL:

Over 3.5t in Switzerland you pay the HVF (Heavy Vehicle Fee) which is CHF3.25 per day, or the same in Euros. You have to prepay for 10 days though. You have to stop and do this at the border.

Citysafe

Free Member
Jul 11, 2016
Surrey UK
Funster No
MH
A Class EuraMobil
Exp
Austria is very expensive for 3.5T plus MHs. If you drive on the motorway you need a Go Box if you are over 3.5T - if you have a single tyred rear axle I wouldn't worry - but they know to look for a twin rear wheel or tag axle. On a number of occasions I have seen a road check and people being fined. The best plan for us was to get a Go Box and then try and reduce our motorway miles - it's a pay as you go system with over head gantries. The amount you pay relates to the number of axles and your engine pollution rating. If you cannot demonstrate your engine type you pay the highest, I recall on the way up from Croatia we wanted to just race through and it cost us nearly 100Euro.

It can be very difficult to avoid the tolls and there is little signage around alternatives.

It's madness really as their little roads have a concentrated number of Motorhomes trying to avoid the tolls. It's very irritating when I do not believe they have the pay in the UK accepting the Thames Tunnel - M42 and the Avon bridge

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
And the Austrians fine people for fun.

We ve heard so many stories we no longer go. There is equally nice scenery in Bavaria, Switzerland and Italian lakes.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
You have to prepay for 10 days though. You have to stop and do this at the border.
But that covers you for any 10 days in a year. You have a form and have to pre-fill it in for each day you are in the country. I assume that they have roadside checks to make sure you do, but we were only in there for 2 days whilst going to and from Italy and did not see any.

Apr 2, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
How easy it is to pay at the border depends on where you cross. For example, we recently crossed from Italy over the GSB pass, and they assume you are going through the tunnel. The border guard at the top of the pass couldn't take the payment. We ended up driving to the Swiss end of the tunnel, driving IN to the office, paying, then doing a U-turn to get out again. If you enter and can't pay, the law says you must phone a customs post, get authority to enter, and to pay at the first opportunity - they will tell you where to go to pay. Whether you do or not is up to you. A favourite trick of the police is to stop heavy vehicles early in the morning to see whether they've ticked of the relevant day on the form. Having lived and worked in Switzerland, I can tell you they are pretty hot on this , but whether they'd spot a heavy motor home is debateable. As above, you pay for a minimum of 10 days, but it's valid for a year. Considering the effort put into building their roads, I'd say it's good value

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back