Can anyone help with a mystery switch please?

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Debs, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Debs

Debs Funster

Sorry the pic is a bit blurred but does anyone have an idea what the switch to the right of the steering wheel is. It only lights when the igition is on?

We found another one on the side of a locker but have found this is for heating the waste water tank.

Cheers

image.jpg

2. movan

movan Funster Life Member

I have one. It is something to do with telling you your alarm is working I think. Mine blinks when I set the alarm.... however, I am sure it is supposed t stay on all the time to deter thieves. Hopefully, if I am wrong ... as per norm...:) someone will come along soon. x

3. kelv

kelv Funster Life Member

I have a switch in the same place and it is to activate tracker movement sensor

4. Debs

Debs Funster

Hmm ok thanks both.... Joy we don't have an alarm as far as we know, wonder if it's had a tracker at some point, there's nothing in the paperwork for one.

I don't suppose there's any way of finding out - will there be another unit fitted somewhere?

5. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Is it a switch or just a light?

If a switch be brave, turn it off see what doesn't happen any more :D

It is odd to have anything with a light so low down where you cant see it

6. lorger

lorger Funster

Does the wee red light press in like a button, we have one like that on the dash and you can press the light to change settings

7. Debs

Debs Funster

Is rocker switch the right description? It's a definate switch off/on but only lights when the ignition is on.

Not sure if/how long it stays on - we're just sitting out the heavy rain/wind. Will have to have a play when it's dry to see if it's to do with the lights.

It looks exactly like this one but we have discovered that the waste tank heater.

image.jpg

8. Gizmouk

Gizmouk Funster

Give the switch a prod and see what happens.
    I mean, what's the worst that can happen :roflmto:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 10
  9. Debs

Debs Funster

We have, several times, nothing apparently:cool:

But wondering about kelvs or lorgers suggestions.

Actually lorger which settings are you referring to? It's on a renault base and we have been trying to work out how to get the clock to display on the dash

10. kelv

kelv Funster Life Member

I have the exact same switch on my hymer when they fitted the tracker this switch appeared I asked what it was for and they said switch it on when not using the motorhome so tracker people can sense any movement from unwanted guests. Phantom tracker must be activated for switch to work.

11. Debs

Debs Funster

Ok thanks kelv - we took it they were after market fit, not sure where to go from here.... It has finally stopped raining so we'll be able to have another prod and poke around(y)

12. Zajacp

Zajacp Funster

On the strike back alarm they fit a button which turns on/off the security loop for bikes ect. The loop comes as a extra and attached to the system at the rear of the van.

• Like Like x 1
  13. movan

Thank you. I wondered what my button was for too.. you have now told me .. whey hey. :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Debs

Debs Funster

Glad someone's getting sorted - we're still no wiser:think:....re-reading kelvs suggestion don't think it could've been a tracker as the switch only lights when the ignition is turned

We'll still keep fiddling:smiley:

• Like Like x 1
  15. FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER Read Only Funster

could also be a switch for the supply to the fridge when using the camper leave it so it lights up when engine running, if you don't need to keep the fridge cool just turn it off , they often used to be fitted when using lucas 33ra relay's to interrupt the wire from C3 to the fridge via a lower rated relay http://www.autoelectricalspares.co.uk/lucas-srb630-33441-33ra-12v-60a-split-charge-relay-1583-p.asp I have also seen them used as a switch to operate the relay sending a 12v supply to W1 instead of connecting to the alternator, with this set up your leisure battery will not get charged and fridge will not work unless the switch is on.

16. Badknee

Badknee Funster

See if you can follow the wires, may mean you standing on your head though lol.

17. cranky

cranky Funster

My strikeback has a switch (without the light) so that you can turn off the external "bleeper" that sounds when you set the alarm. I have a loop for the bikerack but haven't used it as yet. Must give it a try.

18. iceni

iceni Read Only Funster

Is it a swich that overided the auto turn off of the lights when you take the key out. There will be some situations when you want to leave the lights on but with no engine running. theolder peugeots used to have a switch that left the sidelights on Phill

19. Debs

Debs Funster

Thanks for your replies everyone - still looking......it's a thin, single cable (comparable with a single piece of bell wire) and runs over to the passenger side and disappears through the bulk head in the passenger well (so oh says lol)

Just having a cuppa then will have a peek under the bonnet

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  20. movan

If you have a button on your alarm switch that you point at the van.... try standing in the van and pointing it at the light button on dash and holding down the button in your hand for three seconds... What happens?