Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Jersey channel islands
Funster No
MH
Swift kontiki Fairway
Exp
Hi to everyone
firstly sorry i have not been on much latly, i really do enjoy reading the comments and the advise on this site.:Smile: but the truth of the matter is that at the moment i am feeling very upset and frustrated:Doh: the reason is this.
not long ago i bought a 21 y/o eldiss autoking 1988 M/H it has a ducato 2.5 diesal engine. when it was advertised locally for the first time i was the first to view and on the strengh of the service record and the pristine condition it was in i decided to purchase and with dreams of getting on the open road soon overtook me.
i drove it around our small island(jersey) for a couple of weeks and the bug took a hold my wife and younger son were so excited about getting it off the island and across to france, i even spent some money on a few extras like rev cam, 12v tv, some extra lighting inside,new interior silver screens,wheel levelers and grip mats wanted to feel like a proper M/Homer.
then Disaster struck:cry: My gearbox suddenly got stuck in gear so i had it towed to a local garage who informed me that it would need a new one of a recon one.
so after looking for one locally and having no joy i decided to look on the internet and i found this one garage who told me that they could fix any type of gearbox regardless of age, so my relief when they told me that they could strip it down and replace any gears that were broken and also give me a 2 year warrenty or 24000 miles.
my local garage took out the box and sent it across to them, they telephoned me to say that the box need a complete overhaul and would cost £600.00 to repair.
i agreed the price and then they asked for payment upfront for the parts they would use. now this is where things started to go wrong my local garage would not pay upfront becouse they had not dealt with this company before so i was stuck with a gearbox in the uk and no option to deal direct with them, i did not really have a problem with this becouse of the promt reply from them with regard to the problem of the box, so i agreed the price and they told me the parts would arrive last tuesday the 8thsept, i telephoned the next day for an update and was told that one of the parts they were still waiting for this went on all week on friday the 11th they said the part was on a van on its way to them, today monday 14th i can not get a hold of the garage in question,:Angry: either the phone is busy or just keeps ringing,the email has just bounced back to me, so i have sent an urgent fax to them, i am very concered now that i may have not only lost my money but my gearbox too:cry:. if anyone can help me or give some advise of what to do,i would be very grateful. if i lived in the uk i would go down or up to yorkshire myself and sort it but jumping on a plane is a bit diffecult at the moment.
i have tried trading standards waiting for a responce, also the local police will do nothing at the moment.so after my joy at becoming a m/homer i now feel very down and disalusioned and also i have spoken to other garages in the uk who tell me i will not get any parts new or used for a 21 yo fiat so after forking out £10000.00 for the M/H and a little bit more on extras does this mean now i will end up with no vehicle?
sorry to go on but if someone has any idea's or advise then please help
Jerseycol.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Why not put the name and address of the company your trying to get hold of on here, you never know someone on here might live round the corner or know of them. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
Hi jerseycol.what a nightmare you must be pulling your hair out.It does sound like this is a cowboy outfit,however you contacted trading standards so hopefully they will get onto the case asp.have you tried phoning using a different number ie a mobile or from a friends house they could have number display or even phone code even try getting a friend in the uk to phone or if poss go and check out the premises to see if they are what they say they are. I hope you get it all sorted out soon,best of luck:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as Brian and dazzer said.....give us a name and address and with so many members someone is sure to live nearby and can go see if their still trading....

i'll bet its a west riding company :Doh:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Sorry to hear your tale of woes
For a start you haven't lost everything, and your motorhome is repairable:thumb:
As for your cash how did you pay, Credit Card I hope:thumb:
I'm not local to Yorkshire but not too far away I do have trade contacts in the area also access reputable gearbox repairers and suppliers that I use for my garage business,
If I can be of any help just shout
Geo

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
hi ,I hope you can get it sorted,but if you can't and you need a replacement gearbox it may well be worth you giving my brother(andy)a ring on 01509-815805(ratcliffe light commercials)he sells and breaks vans all day ,he may well be able to help.he can take payment by credit card and send parts via courier to anywhere,hope this may be of help.steve.:thumb:

OP
OP
Jerseycol

Jerseycol

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Jersey channel islands
Funster No
MH
Swift kontiki Fairway
Exp
Hi To All.
Firstly can i just say to all of you who have replied to my cries of help a big thank you:Smile::thumb:.
I finally got a responce from this company at 16.45 monday after trying all day, explanation was that the guy who owns the garage was not in and the mechanic who fixes the gearbox's was alone and very busy, he assurd me that the part that they now have will fit the gearbox? and he will work on it today tuesday, but after the promices of last week i dunno what to believe and so to be fair to them i have given them till 17.00 today to call me with an update.
if this does not come then i will put there name on here and if someone could help then that would be great, so once again a big thank you for making feel a lot better than i felt yesterday:thumb:

Scunny-Arfie

Free Member
Sep 21, 2008
Scunthorpe
Funster No
Hello Col, is it a West Yorkshire company?, if so good luck they fit 1 new then reconned that 3 times + it was still no good + as for phone contact some times it was never answered for days or a female receptionist said the boss (owner) was not there, i had almost 5 months of this.

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
First thing I would do is google the company name and address, if they exist then they will be listed on there or even someone may have mentioned them in a thread somewhere :thumb:

Google is my buddy :winky:

Boo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back