Can anyone answer this question please??

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by Teasy2007, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

Hi

We are due to go away for over 60 days to Spain. I have been trying to get some insurance which will not cost us the earth and wondered if anyone thinks the following is possible.

We have World wide insurance through our bank, the trouble is if we take it out for more than 31 days it costs a fortune.

I have been looking at EIC+ and their insurance for 45 days is around £54.

Now I know that I have to tell the insurance company when we are away - BUT, could I inform my bank that we will be away for the first 31 days, and the other company that we will be away for 45 days from the date the other one runs out???

This sounds too easy, but do we have a legal eagle out there who can give us some advice please???

Ginny

2. MrJinks

MrJinks Read Only Funster

Hi Ginny,

I don't see why not. I have done that in the past when my inclusive holiday insurance was for max 30 days. We were away for 6 weeks so just got extra insurance for 12 days.

As we were travelling who was to say that we hadn't popped home to UK after 30 days

3. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

So, as long as I inform both insurance companies of the dates then there should be no problem?

Ginny

4. dshague

dshague Funster

hi there ginny and mike .not long now till the off ,its been a long winter .
    as for insurance ,life is one big gamble as you no only to well.
    i would probably do what you are thinking of doing .
    will try and call and see you before you go i should be finished this week doing all the jobs on bungalow .:thumb:

5. MrJinks

I would inform each company only of the dates that they are insuring. Can't ensure that there wouldn't be a problem....only that that is what I did.

I never made any claims but if I had ..would only say that the duration of the holiday was for the dates that they had covered.

Alternatively try an online quote on http://www.gotravelinsurance.co.uk/ . A quote for us for 75 days was £84

good luck

6. jaygee

jaygee Funster

Don't know how comprehensive you want the insurance to be (i.e. theft etc would be coverered under the van insurance?) but this company
    https://www.direct-travel.co.uk
    do 61 days insurance for Europe just medical,personal accident,loss of passport,personal liability for £23.73.
    If you want to add money & possesions than it goes up to £36.50.
    Unfortunetly if you are over 65 then they only insure for max 30 days!
    I have used then several times, even claimed medical expenses once and they are very good. You can choose to have no excess if you want.

7. MrJinks

8. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

You are all Stars! I will try them tomorrow. I would rather insure with one company but we are not prepared to pay 'loads of money'. My bank insurance offered to extend to 60 days but it would cost £120. I was not impressed.

Many thanks to you all again.

Ginny

9. 1948

1948 Read Only Funster

10. imprint

imprint Read Only Funster

One bit of serious advice is that your home is more valuable than your van.

So, putting aside van insurance, check your home insurance will cover your total absence in one hit.

Be careful on van insurance . With any insurance, there's a basic priniciple of "uberrimae fidei", (Utmost good faith). You must declare anything which might reasonably affect the risk, and so the premium.

I'm not giving specific advice on this, but there's probably a risk that if you had an accident on either 'leg' of the trip, they'd wriggle out of it. If you pretended you'd returned home on the changeover date, they'd ask for details and proof... and you could be prosecuted for what used to be called "seeking a pecuniary ( i.e.cash) advantage by a deception". In layman's language, fraud.

I don't like insurance companies, but as we try to get the best deal from them, it's not suprising they try to get a good deal from us. You might get away with it, but is it worth the worry and the risk?

If in doubt, ask a broker, anonymously over the phone if you like.

Sorry, folks.

11. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

There was a similar thread on here recently and a link to Columbus was given and we found the prices for what we wanted quite reasonable www.columbusdirect.com

Just had a look and it was £87 'ish for 92 days in Europe, don't know if this will be OK for you??

Nigel and Pamala