Can anyone answer this question please?? (1 Viewer)

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi

We are due to go away for over 60 days to Spain. I have been trying to get some insurance which will not cost us the earth and wondered if anyone thinks the following is possible.

We have World wide insurance through our bank, the trouble is if we take it out for more than 31 days it costs a fortune.

I have been looking at EIC+ and their insurance for 45 days is around £54.

Now I know that I have to tell the insurance company when we are away - BUT, could I inform my bank that we will be away for the first 31 days, and the other company that we will be away for 45 days from the date the other one runs out???

This sounds too easy, but do we have a legal eagle out there who can give us some advice please???

Ginny

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Hi Ginny,

I don't see why not. I have done that in the past when my inclusive holiday insurance was for max 30 days. We were away for 6 weeks so just got extra insurance for 12 days.

As we were travelling who was to say that we hadn't popped home to UK after 30 days

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Ginny,

I don't see why not. I have done that in the past when my inclusive holiday insurance was for max 30 days. We were away for 6 weeks so just got extra insurance for 12 days.

As we were travelling who was to say that we hadn't popped home to UK after 30 days

So, as long as I inform both insurance companies of the dates then there should be no problem?

Ginny

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
hi there ginny and mike .not long now till the off ,its been a long winter .
as for insurance ,life is one big gamble as you no only to well.
i would probably do what you are thinking of doing .
will try and call and see you before you go i should be finished this week doing all the jobs on bungalow .:thumb:

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
So, as long as I inform both insurance companies of the dates then there should be no problem?

Ginny

I would inform each company only of the dates that they are insuring. Can't ensure that there wouldn't be a problem....only that that is what I did.

I never made any claims but if I had ..would only say that the duration of the holiday was for the dates that they had covered.

Alternatively try an online quote on Link Removed. A quote for us for 75 days was £84

good luck

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Don't know how comprehensive you want the insurance to be (i.e. theft etc would be coverered under the van insurance?) but this company
https://www.direct-travel.co.uk
do 61 days insurance for Europe just medical,personal accident,loss of passport,personal liability for £23.73.
If you want to add money & possesions than it goes up to £36.50.
Unfortunetly if you are over 65 then they only insure for max 30 days!
I have used then several times, even claimed medical expenses once and they are very good. You can choose to have no excess if you want.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
You are all Stars! I will try them tomorrow. I would rather insure with one company but we are not prepared to pay 'loads of money'. My bank insurance offered to extend to 60 days but it would cost £120. I was not impressed.

Many thanks to you all again.

Ginny

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
Hi.

Now I know that I have to tell the insurance company when we are away - BUT, could I inform my bank that we will be away for the first 31 days, and the other company that we will be away for 45 days from the date the other one runs out???

This sounds too easy, but do we have a legal eagle out there who can give us some advice please???

Ginny, please check policy carefully, most travel/breakdown insurance states that cover starts at beginning of travel from UK and cannot effect new cover while aboard.

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
One bit of serious advice is that your home is more valuable than your van.

So, putting aside van insurance, check your home insurance will cover your total absence in one hit.

Be careful on van insurance . With any insurance, there's a basic priniciple of "uberrimae fidei", (Utmost good faith). You must declare anything which might reasonably affect the risk, and so the premium.

I'm not giving specific advice on this, but there's probably a risk that if you had an accident on either 'leg' of the trip, they'd wriggle out of it. If you pretended you'd returned home on the changeover date, they'd ask for details and proof... and you could be prosecuted for what used to be called "seeking a pecuniary ( i.e.cash) advantage by a deception". In layman's language, fraud.

I don't like insurance companies, but as we try to get the best deal from them, it's not suprising they try to get a good deal from us. You might get away with it, but is it worth the worry and the risk?

If in doubt, ask a broker, anonymously over the phone if you like.

Sorry, folks.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
There was a similar thread on here recently and a link to Columbus was given and we found the prices for what we wanted quite reasonable www.columbusdirect.com

Just had a look and it was £87 'ish for 92 days in Europe, don't know if this will be OK for you??

Nigel and Pamala

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back