Can An Expert Please Clarify A Suspicion... (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I suspect that watching a movie/video/footy match over the Internet uses as much data as downloading it for later viewing.

Others say it doesn't...

I know that someone out there knows the answer...

Thanking you in advance...

JJ:Cool:

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi JJ not an expert but yes if you stream a match to watch or save it :Smile: it is still going to be the same size file i.e. say 3 gb streaming = 3 gb saved
I think you are getting mixed up when someone converts it into a divix etc,file this then makes it like a mp3 music file so your 3 gb may become 1 gb or less
Terry

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi JJ not an expert but yes if you stream a match to watch or save it :Smile: it is still going to be the same size file i.e. say 3 gb streaming = 3 gb saved
[HI]I think you are getting mixed[/HI] up when someone converts it into a divix etc,file this then makes it like a mp3 music file so your 3 gb may become 1 gb or less
Terry

Not me Terry... I agree with you. It's the others!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yes, Terry is correct. Whether you open a file you are downloading straight away (which is what streaming is) or save it and open it off-line later, the same file size means the same usage of your allowance.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It is possible for a streamed service to use more than a download but it is usually the same all things being equal.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I suspect that watching a movie/video/footy match over the Internet uses as much data as downloading it for later viewing.

Same.

Worse it could be 1GB per hour, depending on the quality they are sending you. The very best way of eating up your allowance.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hey Roger hows the poorly van? sorry to go off topic ::bigsmile:
terry

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I think you are getting mixed up when someone converts it into a divix etc,file this then makes it like a mp3 music file so your 3 gb may become 1 gb or less
Terry

You maybe able to compress it to 1GB or less for storage but you have still downloaded 3GB of data (I think)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
You maybe able to compress it to 1GB or less for storage but you have still downloaded 3GB of data (I think)

NOPE if you compress it down to 0.5 gb that is what you would download,the computer program then unpacks(zip file etc) or it stays as is and your comp can play as is.Thats how most DVD players became smart and got software to play DVIX etc.While dinasor DVD players will only play DVD formatt :winky:
terry

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
NOPE if you compress it down to 0.5 gb that is what you would download
terry

There is a big difference between "YOU compress" that Gooney stated correctly and "THEY compress" which you have just introduced.

YOU can't compress it before you receive it.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
There is a big difference between "YOU compress" that Gooney stated correctly and "THEY compress" which you have just introduced.

No Brian you are correct.::bigsmile:Just to clarify you would get it already compressed or you can compress say a film from 4 gb down to 1gb and send it :thumb: you would be sending 1gb and person recieving would be downloading 1 gb --on a 5gb DVD, 1 film = to around 4 plus gb in dvd formatt you can easy fit 5 films compressed onto the 5 gb DVD blank :thumb: thought I had better add the blank bit for the pragmatic people :winky:::bigsmile:
terry

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010

I think that's what I thought I meant:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back