LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Eh Sandra, @irnbru can you please ensure you properly vet all visitors to your Wheel Rally next year.
Some of the toerag Southerners appear to be trying to get around their metered water processes by attempting to steal all our lovely fresh rainwater.
I'm sure you will agree that this is totally unacceptable. If they wish to obtain some of our superb assets they should be paying a princely sum for these. Can I suggest that next year's barrier control position is atop a set of step ladders so there can be an estimate the quantity of water being removed from the site and how much the contribution to HfH should be.
Obviously, given his previous experience and involvement @andy63 (serves you right for trying to drop me in it!) is your man for the stepladder squatter.

btw @DavidG58 hope you get the roof sorted easily and not too much consequential damage.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
:ROFLMAO:@Gellyneck ...Grant Since you suggested it the job will be delegated to you next year if you join us. :LOL:

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Eh Sandra, @irnbru can you please ensure you properly vet all visitors to your Wheel Rally next year.
Some of the toerag Southerners appear to be trying to get around their metered water processes by attempting to steal all our lovely fresh rainwater.
I'm sure you will agree that this is totally unacceptable. If they wish to obtain some of our superb assets they should be paying a princely sum for these. Can I suggest that next year's barrier control position is atop a set of step ladders so there can be an estimate the quantity of water being removed from the site and how much the contribution to HfH should be.
Obviously, given his previous experience and involvement @andy63 (serves you right for trying to drop me in it!) is your man for the stepladder squatter.

btw @DavidG58 hope you get the roof sorted easily and not too much consequential damage.
Hey I'll have you know that we deposited the rainwater off our roof as we went through the barrier ......we had a torrent running down the windscreen:giggler:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
So, been over to @Terry this morning, top off, frame removed @andy63 (y)(y), all old gunge removed (y)(y), resealed, top reinstated, very happy bunny

And a lovely milky coffee while I waited

You are a top man Terry (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Sort of looking forward to it raining to test :D

That's great... and Terry doesn't hang about as he knows what he is doing...
I thought there may have been a rubber seal under the frame...you couldn't have done any more to sort it so I'm sure it will be fine .
Thanks for update..
Ta Andy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
It was the butal non setting mastic seal that had let go between the plastic roof and ali roof -took off the plastic /perspex roof unscrewed the framework then prised it off -cleaned both sides ie roof and frame Stuck a load of sealant in re screwed it all in place then put the top back on =Lola a dry bed (y)Could have done a nice simple job and cleaned around the frame and sealed it but Andy pricked my conscience at Falkirk and so it all came off :LOL::D
terry

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Top tip if it gets very cold, or you plan on going skiing in your motorhome-

Ensure the fall of your roof is away from your hab door side. If not, the melted water run off refreezes and you get sealed into your van by icicles!

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Had a leak round the fan on the roof of our Hymer after having had a 'Dome' fitted-several 'clomping' boots on roof probably broke the seals. Hubby took it off the roof cleaned it all up, dried it out and resealed it with special mastic! Been good as gold since!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Ours has a permanent puddle because the sides and back of the roof are enclosed by a raised trim. Doesn't matter if it's levelled on chocks or sitting on its wheels with a slight tilt forwards - there's always the puddle. Worse still, we had to fit the satellite dish in the puddle, and that needed resealing after water started appearing around its internal fittings.

Wonderful design thinking eh? A defect in the trim was the subject of a factory recall shortly after we got it, and we managed to avoid a roof leak repair bill of a few thousand pounds thanks to that and an extended warranty a year or so later. It's leaked three times along that trim/seam since we bought it new. The last time our friendly mobile fitter worked his special magic on it and to date it's stayed dry, but it's always a background worry. It's why I've spent today removing ropey old sealant from all the side fittings and openings with a view to resealing them.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Our Sundance pools water like a Gooden unless it is slightly nose down. If it is perfectly level the water will build up and pour in through the air conditioning unit. We have tried many tricks to solve it but the only answer is nose down!

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
@DavidG58 you are the epitomy of the modern hymer advertising nightmare with your recent posts. .
For years before you came along we only had the British vans to have a go at. ...now we have the Nightmare German ownership story. ...

At last an opportunity to kick the Germans...

Those Hymers are overpriced pieces of junk. ..you Shoikd of gone half german half French.. or even British.....:ROFLMAO:

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
I've got a leak in mine too if it's parked too level. I replaced the old cracked roof light (800x500) with a brand spanking new clear one but it's heavier than the original and somehow water is getting in. I'm off up there this morning to strip of my previous attempts with silicone/007/stickslikeshit and I'm going to try some of Captain Trolley's Creeping Crack Cure on it.

There's a joke there somewhere. :)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@DavidG58 you are the epitomy of the modern hymer advertising nightmare with your recent posts. .
For years before you came along we only had the British vans to have a go at. ...now we have the Nightmare German ownership story. ...

At last an opportunity to kick the Germans...

Those Hymers are overpriced pieces of junk. ..you Shoikd of gone half german half French.. or even British.....:ROFLMAO:

Morning Paul, I possibly agree

I have long been a believer that the more people pay the less they moan, possibly for fear of looking a fool, or some other reason I have not worked out yet

Not me, I was 'lucky' enough to afford a prestige car many years ago, to me a Range Rover meant just that, until I owned one, at three months old the rust started coming through, at 6 months old something major underneath (4x4 related, no idea what) went bang, I didn't keep it till 9 months, but I did a decent amount of moaning to anybody who would listen, particularly when I found out the problems were pretty much the norm

Not that I intend to buy a British MH in a hurry now, but I am disappointed that a decent brand on pretty much top running gear is causing me grief, but it is only a bit of hassle, we are healthy and will be back at it soon albeit a little poorer (y):)

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think a lot of grief from motorhomes is lack of use so get it fixed and get the b----y thing used.

Martin

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I think a lot of grief from motorhomes is lack of use so get it fixed and get the b----y thing used.

Martin

I agree and hold the first owner wholly responsible for all my current problems :LOL:

2100 miles in just over three years is not normal :D

See you somewhere soon, we are down but not out (y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Morning Paul, I possibly agree

I have long been a believer that the more people pay the less they moan, possibly for fear of looking a fool, or some other reason I have not worked out yet

Not me, (y):)

Not me either David, we bought at 6 years old and expected a second hand/used vehicle so we're realistic with our expectations.

We bought a £50k BMW brand new and had different expectation and when they were not met "boy did I moan" we have just picked up our second replacement and I think we will keep this one(y).

Martin

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Unfortunately, I think Hymer went through a bad patch around the time of the recession. I have had it on very good authority that the build quality dropped around 2006 (with the end of the 'Smiley Face', twin headlamp B-class / Star-Line series). I understand that Hymer got a grip and that more recent vehicles are again very well built. Having looked at a Star-Line 680 at last year's NEC show, the attention to detail and quality of the fittings seemed excellent. However, the price was over £100k and that was for an ex-demonstrator.
I'm sure that once you get the gremlins fixed, the underlying vehicle will give many years of good service.
Regarding roof-light seals, they are bound to degenerate after a few years as they are exposed to continual sunlight / UV and a lot of heat. I had to renew the seal on the small 40x40 Heki a few years ago and had the main light resealed last November. My Hymer is now 12 years old but is very solid and in good condition.
Of course, your turbo woes are nothing to do with Hymer, but one advantage of the older Sprinter chassis is that there is less technology to fail as they rely more on mechanical controls.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Unfortunately, I think Hymer went through a bad patch around the time of the recession. I have had it on very good authority that the build quality dropped around 2006 (with the end of the 'Smiley Face', twin headlamp B-class / Star-Line series). I understand that Hymer got a grip and that more recent vehicles are again very well built. Having looked at a Star-Line 680 at last year's NEC show, the attention to detail and quality of the fittings seemed excellent. However, the price was over £100k and that was for an ex-demonstrator.
I'm sure that once you get the gremlins fixed, the underlying vehicle will give many years of good service.
Regarding roof-light seals, they are bound to degenerate after a few years as they are exposed to continual sunlight / UV and a lot of heat. I had to renew the seal on the small 40x40 Heki a few years ago and had the main light resealed last November. My Hymer is now 12 years old but is very solid and in good condition.
Of course, your turbo woes are nothing to do with Hymer, but one advantage of the older Sprinter chassis is that there is less technology to fail as they rely more on mechanical controls.

Story of my life Philip

Our Mercedes chassis was handed to Hymer in March 07, based on your comments just as they peaked on poor quality, but I do agree component failures not made by Mercedes or Hymer are not their fault

I took out a 6% fixed rate mortgage weeks before the base rate dropped to 0.5%

I bought shares in Banking and House Building in mid 2007

I buy a nice Audi government increase RFL to £1K / year

I could go on but I am depressing myself, but I am now very nearly retired, the extension is very nearly finished, kids are both well settled, we have a grandson, we are healthy, the MH can be mended

Life is good really, actually life is really good (y)

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Never had a leak but more than once when pulling off with my head out of the side window have received a few gallons of ice cold water down the back of my neck . When i am parked long term i always try for a small slope to the backend as its got to come off somewhere.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
David,
My view is, once you have a good motorhome and have sorted out all the issues that are bound to crop up, then keep it - don't swap it for an unknown quantity. They will run for years and, at least with a Hymer, you know the basic structure is proof against rot provided the underside is well maintained.
Ours has had a couple of issues that Peter Hambilton sorted out, Paul at Edgehill re-sealed the main roof-light and I have made some modifications to suit us. Some time soon we shall have to have the swivel seats re-upholstered but it has travelled about 70,000 miles and they are our normal relaxing chairs. Like you, I have a trusted local HGV garage to look after the Sprinter bit - (but have had to go to an MB dealer occasionally for some jobs / spares).

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Are all these people saying better the devil you know ;):LOL:You have spent too much money to be letting her go now (it's a she they all cost a fortune;))Get the electric for the turbo done and stick with what you have (y)It's a lovely van (y)
terry

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have followed this thread with interest @DavidG58 and have now had my 03 B544 for several weeks , lots of rain different pitches and never a leak, UNTIL NOW :rolleyes: Pitched up at Old Hall Caister, with chocks nice and level and after last nights rain it came in around the main vent.
Have been in the roof today and it seems the original mastic has gone hard, so a little job for tomorrow.
I thought I had escaped :(

RVs are sometimes criticised but on mine the roof is slightly convex so water wont lay.(y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have followed this thread with interest @DavidG58 and have now had my 03 B544 for several weeks , lots of rain different pitches and never a leak, UNTIL NOW :rolleyes: Pitched up at Old Hall Caister, with chocks nice and level and after last nights rain it came in around the main vent.
Have been in the roof today and it seems the original mastic has gone hard, so a little job for tomorrow.
I thought I had escaped :(

RVs are sometimes criticised but on mine the roof is slightly convex so water wont lay.(y)

sounds identical to my issue, hard to say exactly what state the mastic was in once the frame has been removed, but just bad luck, I also think that once it started to come in some kind of capillary action took over and sucked it in. All seems to be OK now, but in dry dock for turbo now so not using yet :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back