Can a motorhome be too level

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by DavidG58, Aug 4, 2015.

1. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Had a major leak this weekend, seems to be pouring in round the front skylight over dining table

Various helping hands had a look, Terry put his hand through the 'open' skylight and announced we had deep water on our roof, I did the same and he was certainly right, I reckon at least 1/2" all round the skylight

A wit in the inevitable onlooking non helping spectators decided it was my E + P jacks had got it too level :D

used them to decant the few gallons that were on there and the leak reduced from torrent to drip and Andy was volunteered to go up and have a look, nothing obvious, so a reseal needed we decided

Rang Hambiltons in Preston who did the last service, this time last year, they cant even look at it till mid September but did say it was a really common issue, I guess from a repairers perspective, I haven't heard of too many leaking Hymers

The drive off the Falkirk Wheel site (including the multi point turn at the low bridge) sloshed the remaining water out all over the table and Lola, going to clear all the debris (leaves etc) off roof today, then off to Terry (we like (need a) Terry) for investigation and reseal tomorrow (y)

But could it have been just too flat, that did seem like an awful lot of water, now worried that my one and only venture up on the roof last year to wash the roof left it permanently 'dished'

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  2. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Yes David I was parked dead level at Hebden Bridge and as soon as I moved off there must have been 20 gallons up there
    In Storage I have it parked on a slope

• Like Like x 2
  3. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Sorry I know it shouldn't but it made me smile, just see you on the roof thinking wha that was not a good idea, and to the question no I don't think you can be to level. Though you can definately be too un level in Spain a pitch we were allocated on matter how we tried we could not get near level, with in two days Ed and I were feeling proper quiesey (first time I knew the meaning of equilibrium ) you stick with your e and p jacks.

• Like Like x 1
  4. WillH

WillH Funster

Like Andy above, when our van is parked up at home it has a 'nose down' attitude and leans slightly to allow all water to drain off. More than once when leaving a pitch we have been surprised by the volume of water that runs down over the windscreen, no leaks though.

• Like Like x 2
  5. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Go over to Edgehill Motorhomes at Mansfield Woodhouse. Paul Broadhurst resealed our main rooflight last November. It took a morning and we had a very pleasant walk around the area and into the country whilst he did it. Not too pricey either.
    Edgehill Motorhomes Nottinghamshire UK - Hymer

6. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Thanks, I do need to get back to them at some point, they did some work for me just after we bought this Hymer and I wasn't impressed, from your own recommendations it would seem I got them on a bad day

I am going on the roof to clean it today but am already thinking it might be a one off issue and some weird capillary reaction, may not even need fixing

7. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

We bought ours from them in 2007 and I have never had cause to complain about their service or work, in fact I would recommend them to anyone with a Hymer. I do go to Peter Hambilton for anything structural though.

8. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

That was just to disguise that you'd left your grey waste tap open... :p!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ethle the wondervan

Ethle the wondervan

Are you sure the water was only coming in through the roof? :think:

• Like Like x 1
  10. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

Water always collects on the roof following rain when we are using the m/home and it's level. On driving off the blocks a torrent floods off so it's best to keep all windows and doors shut. When it's parked up in storage I always use levelling ramps under the wheels on one side only to ensure the water never settles. Remember that if there's water up there in winter it can freeze and possibly expand in any joints it's in, causing problems.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Interesting post as never considered being to level and volume of water on roof.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Spottycatz

Spottycatz Read Only Funster

I've never been able to get my van 'exactly level', it always slopes a bit............but then I only have ramps, so it's not an exact science.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

Back to front or side to side, have a similar issue but thought about it and came to the conclusion if its side to side are you not twisting the box on the back of a cab especially if left for weeks, possible the same for front to back?

14. andy63

andy63 Funster

Hi David. .would be nice to think you are right,but I would think that judging by the amount of water that came into van there is defiantly a problem with the roof light seal..assuming it hasn't entered from somewhere else... even if the water pools around the skylight if seal is good it shouldn't leak..
    If there is nothing else obvious I'd re seal the roof light frame to roof.. i got the impression it may be a moulded rubber joint that seals it and if removed you may be able to use some non setting mastic or tape to help the seal...
    Hope its sorted soon... and I'll watch this thread for your outcome..
    Ta Andy. .

• Like Like x 2
  15. Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo Funster Life Member

i always thought that motorhome roofs were shaped in such a way to discard the rain water,obviously im wrong:rolleyes::eek:
    Brian & Jo

• Like Like x 1
  16. davanne

davanne Funster

@DavidG58 when we drove off the Falkirk meet on Sunday lunchtime as we went through the barriers water poured off our roof and down the windscreen and again as we got further down the road but fortunately we had no internal leak like you. Must have been from the heavy downpour on Saturday afternoon and we were dead level as well.
    Hope you get it sorted

• Like Like x 1
  17. Steve

Steve Funster Life Member

I always try to leval van so water goes down shower drain, so that works out slight high on right and front. Most of the roof water then runs off.
    if your with Terry iam sure he will sort it.
    Steve

• Like Like x 2
  18. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Your house is dead level (or it should be) and that roof doesnt leak.

Get your roof joints sealed.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Poohbear

Poohbear Funster

Strangely enough that's because most house roofs are pitched, where as most MH roofs are flat :)

• Like Like x 5
  20. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Thanks Andy

I was full of great ideas going up on roof to give it a clean, but I really do not like or do heights well at all, went up ladder high enough to have a look though and can now see the fixing screws you mentioned. Looks like if we remove those the vent may lift sufficiently to get a bead of sealant round it

I am just debating now whether to run water on to the roof now to see if it still leaks, or if it best to leave as dry as it is, pre sealing tomorrow

Might just leave well alone :)

• Like Like x 1