Campsites- stopovers Easter France

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Spinout, May 15, 2014.

1. Spinout

Spinout Read Only Funster

Hello

I am planning a trip to Greece this summer and just wondered whether anyone can recommend places to stop for the night on the way down through the East side of France.

Thanks.

2. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

What's the maximum number of miles you're happy to drive in a day?

3. Spinout

Sounds like a loaded question are you implying that if I head down Eastern France I could be traveling 100 miles a day instead of 400 going via Germany? I am not in any hurry, but could do a ten hour stint no problem.

4. Sheddy

Sheddy Funster

About 7 hours south of Calais / Dunkirk using the toll free motorways through Belgium, Luxembourg and France there is a very nice aire at Thaon Les Vosges.
    A bonus is by passing through Luxembourg you can fill up with relatively cheap fuel.:thumb:

5. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

I was just wondering how far you were likely to travel down France from (presumably) Calais, although I suppose that depends on what time you get to Calais.

Anyway, depending on how much of France you want to go through, My suggestions are:

1. Mesnil-Saint-Pere lakeside car park (free but no services) just East of Troyes
    2. Dijon Municipal campsite/aire - (not free, with services)
    3. Suerre aire (free, with pay for services), beside the Saone south of Dijon.

If you've never driven the road from the South of France along Italy's Med coast past Genoa you might want to avoid it, as it's like being in an arcade game. Looking at the map I'd be tempted to hang a left at Grenoble, cross the Alps by either tunnel or col and go across Northern Italy. Others might quite reasonably suggest going via Germany/Switzerland/Austria etc, but I'm less familiar with those places.

A free stopover we've used on the way to Germany is the Amneville Snowdome complex aire. We've also overnighted at Europa (Theme) Park's MH area in Germany, although we visited the park as well.

6. Spinout

Thanks really useful info. I will look at the map and see what's best.

How much should I expect to pay for a campsite with/without services?