LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Planning to move from Cabo de Gata on Sunday to either Camping Mar Azul or Camping Roquetas del Mar.

Anyone any recommendations / comments will be gratefully received (y)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Roquetas is a site in regeneration, the bottom end is all new and they have been doing the roads too. Good cycling and walking. Make sure you visit the web site and get the directions, do not follow signs or gps it will take you through a very tight bit of road. We like it stayed there twice.

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Teuchter,

We had a brilliant time in Cabo de Gata like yourselves but we find that the stretch of road from Almeria down to just before you get to Malaga to be utterly spoilt by the miles and miles of poly tunnels. I'm sure someone will come back with a better suggestion but if it were us we would drive a bit further down Marbella way.

The Tincas

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Spoilt by poly tunnels:LOL: Where do you think all the fresh Mediterranean veg comes from;)

Marbella way - now that is spoilt - everything west of Malaga is spoilt by high rises, appartments and English pubs!

Have a look between Nerja and Malaga - lots of nice places, plenty of wilding opportunities right on the beach, and a few good sites - one at Nerja and 2 in Torre del Mar(y)

We live on that stretch - a few miles inland.

Bootneck

Free Member
Sep 19, 2009
Herts
Funster No
MH
Class2
Exp
8yrs
Bona vista here in Duqesa we' re here now but not with the van,anybody else around here?

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Bona vista here in Duqesa we' re here now but not with the van,anybody else around here?

Hi Bootneck - from an ex Matelot! :)

If you mean Camping Bella Vista at Manilva then we hope to be there in a couple of weeks time :)

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Just left there lovely place pretty full as we pulled out a van was waiting to move in

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Camping at Bella Vista is of a very high standard but it is also very expensive for the short stay visitor at 29 Euro per night. It is also totally rammed with 100% occupancy on most days. Do not bother emailing or calling them to book a pitch as they will tell you that you have to "just turn up and hope for the best". When we went there was only one pitch available which we took for 3 days and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. If you find yourself stuck without a pitch there is some limited wild camping spaces near the sea wall just before you get to the marina at Duquesa.

The Tincas

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Roquetas is a site in regeneration, the bottom end is all new and they have been doing the roads too. Good cycling and walking. Make sure you visit the web site and get the directions, do not follow signs or gps it will take you through a very tight bit of road. We like it stayed there twice.

another vote for Roquetas Camping ..

spend several months there winter 2006/07 ..great site with huge pitches..

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
So we went to Camping Roquetas and have mixed feelings about the site - great location, tired facilities, no MoHo service point, some very large pitches but far more very small ones, not a friendly site on the part of the staff!

Spain 2016 001.JPG

Then moved on to Camping Mar Azul at Balerma - fantastic site - full facilities, friendly, cheap, MoHo washing station etc.etc.

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I would agree about the staff at Roquetas they have had a triple bypass Charisma, politeness and smiling and the toilets are 1920's but as we take full service pitches that was never an issue. Balermo, thats the new one right? We saw it in construction 2014 and cycled there last autumn to see how it had turned out and it is a nice modern site with a good central reception block etc. Apparently lots of mozzies at the wrong time of year, September we were there? We put it in our file. The one issue is the village is a bit of a one horse town.

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
The one issue is the village is a bit of a one horse town.

Agreed - the local village (Balermo) is a bit disappointing but does have a very good supermarket and the site, unlike Roquetas, does have very polite, friendly staff.

The yachting haven of Almerimar is only 6 miles East along the relatively quiet, easily cycleable (with electric bikes ;) :D) coastal road and has lots of shops, bars & good restaurants

Last edited:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
The aire at Almerimar is great, thats where we were when we cycled to Balermo, so back to front from you. Glad you like it we might give is a go for a few days next time

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
We're off tomorrow having spent a whole week here (a long time for us!) heading for another new (to us) site near Motril - Playa de Poniente - beach site ACSI rates with cycle way to the Puerto de Motril according to their web site.

Anyone know it?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back