Campsite with sat TV at pitch

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Dugsy, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Dugsy

Dugsy Read Only Funster

Does anyone know a campsite in France or Spain near the Pyranees with sat TV plug in at the pitch? Want to watch the Olympics and don't have a dish.

2. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

Sorry, we have toured France and Spain for many years and have never had a TV hook up of any dascription. The only way is to splash out on your own system, expensive but depends on how desperate you are to see the games. Good luck in your hunt and if you find any let us all know.

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

I doubt you will find one.

it would be a very complicated set-up to deliver individual programming to individual pitches...if its possible at all.

each receiver will need its own LNB connection OR every pitch would receiver the same channel via a common receiver and individual hookup points

4. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

I too have not seen this on a campsite. It would be pretty expensive to install and you still need to have your own sat receiver in the van.

On the ship we have one 1.8m gyro stabilised dish with a quatro (not quad) lnb.
    They system is auto tracking, and even keeps locked on when we are rolling heavily in bad weather.

The signal from the lnb comes in to a multiswitch unit, which has 24 outputs via individual coax cables to the messrooms and the cabins. So we can watch 24 different channels in different cabins at the one time from one dish/lnb. Our multiswitch unit similar to this cost about €180.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIAX-TMP-5-X-24-MAINS-POWERED-MULTISWITCH-305376-/370399035074?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Satellite_TV_Receivers&hash=item563d80bec2#ht_1937wt_1352

Everyone onboard has their own sat receiver in their cabin, so they can choose whatever channels they like. I have a Sky box with card in my cabin, so I can get the full Sports package.

For the OP I would suggest a cheap option to watch the Olympics would be to get a sat dish and tripod and set it up manually. After a bit of practice only takes a couple of minutes to set up. This could be purchased for about £30 or so, plus a 12V sat receiver box for about the same. Total outlay about £60 and you have sat TV.....:thumb:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  5. keith

keith Funster

They mange it at Zahora (Pinar San Jose) we get English TV as well as Spanish from the plug on the bollard when we are there in the winter. And before anyone asks, yes it is via satellite.

6. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

7. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

On their Zahora setup, am I right in thinking you do not use your own sat receiver?

Do you just plug in your coax to their TV point and tune your TV. You will then get the channels the campsite is distributing through their system. You have no choice other than the channels they provide.

We used to have a similar setup if that is the case. We had an old analogue sat receiver which could be tuned into 10 different channels, which were then distributed by the coax RF antenna system.

The system could actually receive all channels, but only distribute a fixed number (eg 10) which you get on your TV via the normal coax antenna in.

This type of system is often used on passenger ships and in hotels, you just get a limited amount of channels and can only watch the channels they have chosen.

8. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

Go to a local sports bar,there are other advantages.

• Like Like x 1
  9. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Pitstop's beloved Zahora does, Marjal did. Both a bit far south but shows it can be done.

However the Olympics are global so you will be able to view them.

10. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

Looks like it should be easy to miss them then.:Smile:

11. keith

keith Funster

Yes just as you describe but we got the main UK channels. If I remember rightly you had to re-tune your TV via freeview to access all their channels so I guess they were distributed as a digital signal.

• Like Like x 1
  12. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

13. Dugsy

Dugsy Read Only Funster

Sat TV at pitch

Thanks for the info everyone. We have seen tv at the pitch at Vidor (best camp ever visited in 2 years on the road) in the Dolomites, Marjal near Alicante and La Torreta in Benidorm so it can be done. We just want to be in the Pyrenees in July.