Mar 21, 2017
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Autocruise impala
Exp
2 years
hi
Has anyone any ever worked as a campsite warden ? Would love to hear people's experiences as I am looking into applying for a role myself and would appreciate any help
Thanks in advance

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I have not worked as one but I know a few who do, it sounds a ok job from what they tell me, it depends a lot on the campsite and the type of people it attracts, the people I know not had any problems from what they tell me,

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
We done it for 4 years never again it can be very hard work for little reward.

Not everybody but alot of campers have changed they only want to pay £10 a night but want a 5 star site. They want a sunny pitch with abit of shade if it gets to hot , they also want a quiet pitch next to the toilet block away from people.

Also must have good T.V. / Sat Reception and they don't want to be under trees or parked nexted to people with dogs or kids :D.

We did have some good laughs doing the job but we could no longer put up with the crap anymore ;)plus we missed touring in the summer.

Also now the clubs are getting into glamping tents and pods complete nightmare.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
We done it for 4 years never again it can be very hard work for little reward.

Not everybody but alot of campers have changed they only want to pay £10 a night but want a 5 star site. They want a sunny pitch with abit of shade if it gets to hot , they also want a quiet pitch next to the toilet block away from people.

Also must have good T.V. / Sat Reception and they don't want to be under trees or parked nexted to people with dogs or kids :D.

We did have some good laughs doing the job but we could no longer put up with the crap anymore ;)plus we missed touring in the summer.

Also now the clubs are getting into glamping tents and pods complete nightmare.
Yep motorhomers are the most difficult campers in the world with their whinging and demands. Lol..

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Never had a problem with motorhome maybe because I have one :D I used to go out of my way to help them apart from hire motorhomes they did not care what they did to the pitch.

Tents were the worse they never put the tent on there pitch always wanted half of the pitch next to them and they all wanted to have a fire :LOL: even if they were parked nexted to a motorhome or caravan I caught one guy cutting the fence up to burn on his bbq so funny

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
we must have better campsites where I live, the guy I know who is a warden only told me one thing he had to stop some people using a bouncing castle on the site, they did with no trouble, but as Zepp said 4 posts up working with the public can be hard work or words to that effect, my wife ran a restaurant / café for 7 years I would give her a hand when it was busy in all that time only had 3 small problems and plenty of laughs with the staff and customers, by heck that paid well the only food business by a beach ££££££
only worked 26 weeks a year as it was a holiday area, spent the rest of the year traveling the world :)

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Depends who you work for really. We've got experience as campsite assistants on an independent site where they did expect ALOT for very little return and 4 years working for a club.

For us it was a nice stress free job (compared to what we used to do) to earn a little pocket money. There were elements we didn't love such as cleaning the facilities and dealing with a******* but it was nice being outside in the country, most people were lovely. To be honest we enjoyed not having to think too hard and not being responsible for the important stuff. We know some people who struggle going from responsible jobs to grunt work but we found it quite a nice change. It could be hard work physically with a lot of walking (especially for me as I was not fit to start with).

It really does depend what your managers are like and what kind of clientele the particular site attracts in general. They vary a lot judging by our experience working on 3 different sites.

We have no regrets but found 4 summers in a row enough for us.

Hope that helps a bit :)

OP
OP
Mcmax
Mar 21, 2017
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Autocruise impala
Exp
2 years
Depends who you work for really. We've got experience as campsite assistants on an independent site where they did expect ALOT for very little return and 4 years working for a club.

For us it was a nice stress free job (compared to what we used to do) to earn a little pocket money. There were elements we didn't love such as cleaning the facilities and dealing with a******* but it was nice being outside in the country, most people were lovely. To be honest we enjoyed not having to think too hard and not being responsible for the important stuff. We know some people who struggle going from responsible jobs to grunt work but we found it quite a nice change. It could be hard work physically with a lot of walking (especially for me as I was not fit to start with).

It really does depend what your managers are like and what kind of clientele the particular site attracts in general. They vary a lot judging by our experience working on 3 different sites.

We have no regrets but found 4 summers in a row enough for us.

Hope that helps a bit :)
That's kind of what I was thinking , I've seen the adverts for independent sites offering free hook up and pitch for a certain amount of working hours in return ...not what I would be looking for tbh as I will need an income
I am currently a bar manager and previous occupations inc tennant liaison officer , plumber so I am use to dealing with the public inc the unreasonable ones!
I will be applying this week for a role next season and I suppose it may be the luck of the draw if accepted as to which site I get placed on . I,like you would welcome the less stress environment so I think I should enjoy the role and the idea is to work the season and holiday in the winter
Would be interested to hear of which sites you enjoyed and which were not to your liking
Thanks
Paul

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Never had a problem with motorhome maybe because I have one :D I used to go out of my way to help them apart from hire motorhomes they did not care what they did to the pitch.

Tents were the worse they never put the tent on there pitch always wanted half of the pitch next to them and they all wanted to have a fire :LOL: even if they were parked nexted to a motorhome or caravan I caught one guy cutting the fence up to burn on his bbq so funny
Ban tents ..they don't fit in with todays camping .make them wild camp only on the moors.. Haha just joking ( I think)

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Ban tents ..they don't fit in with todays camping .make them wild camp only on the moors.. Haha just joking ( I think)

That's a valid point - hassle mainly comes from those in tents and occasionally caravans. Rarely from Motorhomers interestingly apart from them manning about the prices of course ;)

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Paul,

We mainly did Camping in the forest which are lovely sites in a nice location. I would avoid sites personally that allow large groups and look at reviews on Ukcampsite for a feel - they will mention other troublesome campers. I would take criticism of staff with a handful of salt though as in our experience a large percentage of people who slag of the staff, we remember exactly who they are and they are the ones who do not want to follow any rules at all and have some pretty antisocial behaviours. Not all of course we've worked with some pretty appalling people from a customer service point of view. These people definitely make us understand why some people have such negative views of campsite staff.

I'm proud to say we never had a negative review directed at either of us but then our previous jobs taught us how to deal with all works of life and how to hold you your tongue when almost impossible to do so (most of the time, there were a couple of exceptions).

Feel free to PM us of you want more specifics about sites or locations.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Did it,loved it,only left because at the time,house prices were going up weekly,and had we left it any longer,we would have been priced out of the bungalow market. Why we sold up to do it? We were going to retire early,work on sites during the summer,and tour europe in the winter. The job is what YOU make it and some people do not get past the Assistant Warden phase,due to the actions of the warden in charge,go with an open mind,if it is not for you,you have lost very little and had some fun....yes FUN... Some of the campers are Diamonds(y)
Tea Bag (Corner to the peg ? You have four,PICK ONE!:ROFLMAO:)

Reactions: Ven

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I really enjoyed it. But I wanted a no facilities site, as this is what i would personally choose, and also it attracts the more experienced camper.
Did 2 years, but it stopped me doing my own camping in the summer.
I was lucky, my boss was great. Minimum pay and two days off a week together.
Perhaps choose your site carefully.
Some Fridays, we would still be in the office at 10pm awaiting arrivals.
Not a problem, as finish time was 6pm, but if there was trouble on the roads to the new forest, we felt it was all part of the customer service.
Some sites were really busy at weekends.
600 pitches, all full, you do the math lol
All bringing their beer for the weekend.
Some sites have late night walks to keep the noise down.
You would have a day on rota just cleaning loos and showers, all day.
But then quiet in the week.

Rusty Pumper

Free Member
Mar 10, 2017
Funster No
It's what you make of it. The seasonals and nice folks make up for the difficult ones. It's easier with two folks doing it as you can share the responsibility, otherwise you are chained to the site waiting for drop ins and arrivals.

It's not rocket science, but you do a fair bit of schlepping around the site, just to check everyone is abiding by the site rules, which on the whole they do. There are far worse jobs, and you do get a fair bit of time to yourself. Having a easygoing and fair site owner is also worth its weight in gold.

OP
OP
Mcmax
Mar 21, 2017
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Autocruise impala
Exp
2 years
Thanks to everyone who posted so far ...all very interesting to hear about everyone's experiences

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
We've literally just started, this week, as site wardens, never done it before! We gave up our previous, stressful, full time occupations. This job, which is part time, allows us to live rent free during the season plus earn a wage, and we get 5 months off November-March to enjoy ourselves in the sunshine abroad, so for us it was a no brainer. We'd already decided that if we don't like it we'll do something else next year, but hope it will suit us for a couple of years at least. We picked our site carefully and had strict criteria about what would suit us, if you're an experienced campsite user you will know what kind of place you'd want to work.

OP
OP
Mcmax
Mar 21, 2017
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Autocruise impala
Exp
2 years
We've literally just started, this week, as site wardens, never done it before! We gave up our previous, stressful, full time occupations. This job, which is part time, allows us to live rent free during the season plus earn a wage, and we get 5 months off November-March to enjoy ourselves in the sunshine abroad, so for us it was a no brainer. We'd already decided that if we don't like it we'll do something else next year, but hope it will suit us for a couple of years at least. We picked our site carefully and had strict criteria about what would suit us, if you're an experienced campsite user you will know what kind of place you'd want to work.
Good luck folks , I hope it works out for you
Seems I am wanting to follow a similar path to you so I would be interested to see how you are getting on
Please keep me updated if you can
Thanks
Paul

StickyWicket

Free Member
Jan 29, 2014
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Myself and my wife had a trial day as wardens about 3 years ago. We had to clean the loos etc. and also look after the bookings etc. The site in question was using a paper based booking system and were not interested in doing it with a computer program. In less that a couple of hours it soon became obvious that the booking system was rubbish and we could easily imagine the nightmare that it would become in the high season with people reserving pitches in advance and then turning up and finding no availability. We also became aware of all the problems associated with having a children's indoor play area and trying to stop noise onsite after a certain time. Never again entered our minds to be employed on a campsite!

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
Myself and my wife had a trial day as wardens about 3 years ago. We had to clean the loos etc. and also look after the bookings etc. The site in question was using a paper based booking system and were not interested in doing it with a computer program. In less that a couple of hours it soon became obvious that the booking system was rubbish and we could easily imagine the nightmare that it would become in the high season with people reserving pitches in advance and then turning up and finding no availability. We also became aware of all the problems associated with having a children's indoor play area and trying to stop noise onsite after a certain time. Never again entered our minds to be employed on a campsite!

We were very picky about sites for exactly the reasons you mentioned. We did not consider any sites which had a bar, pool, children's or teenagers facilities eg games rooms, social club or recreation area. We also ruled out working anywhere north of the home counties (too cold) or Wales (too wet). Surprising as it sounds this still left lots of options and we had several invitations to attend interviews and two job offers on the same day :) the moral being, choose very carefully!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back