campsite warden

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by pigginchilli, Nov 5, 2015.

1. pigginchilli

pigginchilli Read Only Funster

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, We both have no dependants apart from two dogs, we fancy living in our motorhome but worried about working, A fun member has suggested us both being wardens at a site, as long as we have enough money too feed us and the dogs this sounds good, has anyone done this? nade and steve.:cautious:

2. rosalan

rosalan Funster

If you are one of the special breed that can cope with people doing everything wrong and blaming you. If you have the patience and thick skin of a Tortoise and lack the ambition to actually drive your motorhome, then you have all the credentials needed to be a warden or am I being unfair?
    Alan

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. pigginchilli

have you been a warden? sounds ok to me as I get the blame for everything but my wife would not be ok with verbal abuse.

4. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

I think most of the warden abuse is in the virtual world, most wouldn't dare say anything to cc wardens, just moan about them behind their back :D
    Never done it myself but if you got a seasonal site assume could work Uk summer and head to Europe for the winter.
    I'm sure there are funsters who do it so should be able to get info.
    Good luck :)

Another idea I have wondered about dog walking and sitting at sites probably abroad.
    Maybe get a perm pitch and negotiate a dog sitting walking services with site, something a lot of dog owners would use when they want to head out dog free on occasions?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  5. parknride

parknride Funster

Yes, we did this in France few years ago. It was just a small site so easy really. We made some good friends and enjoyed a season. We took the attitude if we get unfair grief we can always drive away as we weren't dependent on the pay. Free pitch, EHU, use of pool, chance to improve language. We went off site on days off to stay on Aires in local towns and villages. I have worked previously on a busy campsite in the lakes for several years - doing administration so had some experience. Doesn't have to be CC or C&CC, look on UK campsites click on the "with job vacancy" link. Lots looking for next year staff. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

• Like Like x 4
  6. makems

makems Funster Life Member

@crizatuk and @Theonlysue have both done stints as wardens for C&CC.
    Hopefully they will see this thread and respond.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Ven

Ven Funster

Hi there,

We've done 4 summers on Camping in the forest sites (part of c&cc). On the plus side compared to a lot of independent sites you are paid an hourly wage (albeit minimum) for 40 hours a week, plus your pitch.

It can be boring at quiet times and hard work when it's busy and then there are the public ;) I have to say I enjoyed more than I didn't and 90% of the customers were lovely.

As a way to have a relatively stress free (compared to previous careers) job to supplement out travels it worked well for us.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Depends on the campsite that you get. Even in cc sites, they have had to clean cr@p off the showers.
    Some have a constant flow of campers, others are horrendously busy at weekends, then much quieter in the week.
    I did the fun meets in the summer but really enjoyed the job :)
    Perhaps you need to try it for a season to seductive how it goes,?

• Like Like x 2
  9. StefAndDi

StefAndDi

Spell-checker at its very best!

• Like Like x 11
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Shrimp64

Shrimp64 Funster

We've just done 3 seasons on a privately owned campsite, only cleaning tho for 2 hours per day each. That gave us a free pitch, EHU, Gas & laundry. We could also do other jobs, ie; mowing/gardening, etc for a few pennies!
    We did go to a CC recruitment day a few years ago, lots of 'stuff' to learn and role play, etc. their wardens work a full day/week, get a proper wage but you are on call 24 hrs. We didn't fancy it, working all day!
    There are a lot of lower key campsite/warden jobs out there, look at UK Campsites & Caravan Jobfinder on Internet. A lot of them offer a wage as well as pitch etc.

• Like Like x 1
  11. shawn&emma

shawn&emma Funster

Theres always a good selection of vacancies on uk campsite as already suggested, look on the BHHPA jobs a well. Always worth looking at the customer reviews of the site and you'll get a feel for the place. Ive been lucky to have worked on 2 sites that want to provide the best service to their customers so will allow the appropriate time to do the work. This then normally reflects the positive customer feedback (well most of the time as you can't please everyone)

Depends if you need the money to live on or just need a top up so to speak. Theres always plenty of places looking for cleaners for a couple of hours a day that will provide a pitch with electric and access to other site amenities but nothing as pay or very little, not something that would suit everyone but theres a lot of people this suits just fine.

During the winter you may find a site looking for caretakers. Most times the sites are closed and they just want someone to be on site and lookout for any problems. Again some will pay but most will provide a pitch etc.

We would normally look for a site that pays but we look at it that as the site fees are the most expensive monthly outgoing if we can save that it all helps.

Now is when you need to be looking for the best sites as they will be trying to grab the best wardens for next season. keep your eyes out for the same sites that keep advertising again and again. Think to yourself why are these people leaving.

There will be a lot of sites looking for wardens in the spring because the ones they thought they'd got get stolen by another site.

Are you happy to have loads of screaming kids around, as they do. If not look for a adults only site.

Do you both want to have the same days of each week as some want cover 7 days a week so you don't get much time together.

Ive just finished 4 years as warden on the same site in Scotland. Some of the hardest work I've done in my life, and us Motorhomes can be some of the worst customers there are so demanding and all that ha ha.

And if you do just do the summers you can head of across the channel for the winter. Thats just where we'll be heading in the next few weeks.

Cheers Shawn.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

Sounds like a great job if it were not for joe public ! Haha

• Like Like x 2
  13. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

Can I hire a rhino hide suit to you for the summer. from what I see on here you might need it.

14. pigginchilli

I don't need it, trouble is cos I can look after myself I wont get a job as a warden, mind you could that be discrimination in the lovely world we live in today?:rolleyes:

15. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

If you enjoy working 12 - 15 hours a day for peanuts, no holidays, no days off, taking flak from Joe public day in day out, cleaning filthy showers, unblocking toilets, being out in the rain, being called out at midnight to reset an EHU .. then up at 8am to deal with the next batch of moaners.. .. yeah.. go for it .. (y)

sorry.. not for me.. we looked at doing it when full time until we saw the wages and conditions..

16. pigginchilli

sorry I will do that again, I have a alternative image which bothers folks, on our hols last week we booked a night at a place called la casa near Grimsby, after talking for a while and booking a pitch for 1 night we expected a warm welcome, How opinions can change! My wife met our host first as I was walking the dogs, she was looking for a quick escape when the dogs and I came back, I have a beard and long hair ,
    Now I can see why there is so many jobs as wardens,

17. Ven

Ven Funster

It's a miracle any campsites have staff judging by some of these posts :whistle:

We've seen both sides working (briefly) on an independent site for peanuts where they expected the world and a bit more, then as previously stated working on a site where you're contracted and paid for your 40 hours for 4 seasons (on 2 different sites). We did not very often have to work extra hours but we got them back in the very quiet periods anyway.

Was it well paid? No, but the lack of stress most of the time compared to previous much, much better paid work and short contracts made it worth while for us. We also quite enjoyed being minions and just doing what we were told instead of being the ones doing that and making all the decisions. Of course the odd a*****e and the odd hideous discovery in the facilities is part of the job, but for us a small part of it.

We found as campsite assistants like the rest of life mostly you get back what you give out, so if you welcome people with a smile and try to be helpful and not too intrusive most campers were lovely and we had lots of laughs. Of course there's reviews that will tell you another story but it's amazing how some people think that safety doesn't matter and being loud and drunk all night is perfectly acceptable when everyone else is trying to sleep ;) Luckily these instances were few and far between for us. It really depends which site you are on as the clientele does vary somewhat :)

• Like Like x 6
  18. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

yes, absolutely..

• Like Like x 1
  19. Zepp

Zepp Funster

20. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    Had a stint with the CC,it was good,the worst bit was chasing away two louts who just drove onto site and were having a nosey ? We looked at it as a form of early retirement,just for the summer,then off travelling. The house prices started leaping up out of all proportion,in truth i missed going exploring in the lorry and the fun,so ,it was a ready made excuse to bail out.
    It is like all jobs, some people will like it,others not ,the plus of being flexible is ,you can walk away from it if you cannot hack it,and if you enjoy it... jobs a good 'un,sorted.
    Tea Bag

• Like Like x 2