Campsite in or near Istanbul (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
We have an idea for a varied trip to Turkey in around 15 months time and looking for a reliable and reasonable campsite in or very near to Istanbul.
Part of the trip would be to leave our camper for about 2 weeks in storage at Istanbul and travel on public transport for 2 weeks.
We could equally do this from Ankara too so a campsite there that was reliable would work for us.

We visited Turkey only once before and used their superb long distance bus service to visit many parts of the country away from the coasts, it was one of our most interesting and memorable trips ever. As usual it was the average person in the street that made the trip so good, but like everywhere you get the odd person to avoid. This time it would be different as we want to use trains.

We understand there are problems in the SE of the country but we found while full timing in the past it's best to use local knowledge, keen awareness and trust your instincts. We did find that the FO advice was often out of date, over dramatic and over cautious (which is probably understandable as their job is to try to keep citizens out of trouble).
Of course it's possible to get unlucky (anywhere in any situation), but a small calculated risk is usually acceptable to us although I appreciate we are not all the same.

Anyway, enough anxiety, any help with personal knowledge of campsites would be great, thanks.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Its some years since I was travelling overland through Istanbul, so am sure things have changed. Londra camping and the Mocamp were of course the order of the day in those days,but take care with the Efes beer, as it got me into trouble more than once. I have no idea if the Pudding shop is still open, but that used to be a good place to find out what the situation was further east. Have a good trip as am sure you will. I would love to do that trip once more, but unfortunately there are only 12 months in the year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Thanks, I'd forgotten about MagBaz.

I'll post something here as and when the ideas start to firm up, may be of interest to others.

If there are any others with personal experience of camping in Istanbul or Ankara I'd love to hear.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back