Campsite booking fees France

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Billy23, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

Hi All

I am coming back to motorhomes after a long break and intend doing a French tour. I have noticed that, when I am looking at prices lots of them require a booking fee of up to 25 Euro when booking for just a couple of nights.

Can you tell me is this the norm? It just seems to make it VERY expensive.......is it me out of touch in this modern world we all live in, or am I looking at the wrong sites??

Any help for this reborn motorhome couple would be great.

Should have mentioned, the reason for booking is we want to go in late July and early August.

Regards
    Bill:Smile:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  2. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I can't understand why anyone would want to book a campsite in France. I have been going there for 30 years and have never felt the need to book. Just turn up.

• Like Like x 1
  3. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

we have done both

In the past we have paid a deposit for a longer stay in the South of France... in fact no more.. we turned up to a site we had booked two adjoining pitches and one was taken up already. Could not get them moved.. so what's the point of paying out money months in advance... the site had plenty of room so we had to move to two new pitches.

That happening means we now just go and turn up.. in the past that has always worked for us.. we tend to avoid France in July and August ..

Bob

4. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

in the high season you do need to book.

Might be worth looking at joining the Caravan and Camping Cub. if you are staying at a series of sites and book via their Carefree magazine they just charge you one booking fee. Or if you book the crossing with them there is no booking fee at all.

Alternatively you can call the sites. That's what I have done for our August trip. We have booked into 3 sites for a night each time with no booking fee. It's only if you book on line they lack flexibility.

Good luck:thumb:

5. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

Fees

Thanks Treacle, very helpful reply.

Cheers:thumb:

6. malheg

malheg Funster

Camping France

We have never booked a site in France, always just turned-up.
    But have never tried in July/August as this when all of France is on vacacion.

Malc